Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

Chili recipe with beans & poultry for pickey eater

ginjj
last year

I would love a recipe for chili with beans and ground chicken or chunks of chicken.

Cannot be spicy

Chicken is not dry.

Quick and easy to make

Thank you!! Ginny

Comments (8)

• plllog
    last year
    last modified: last year

This is my mother's tomato based recipe. It's flavorful. The spice mix is based on Carroll Shelby, I think, and while it's totally mild, you can make it even milder by adjusting or omitting the hot red chili, and the cayenne as well.

Spice mix:

Up to 1/4 cup ground hot red chile

2 medium cloves garlic, minced

1 small onion, finely chopped

1-1/4 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp paprika

1-1/2 tsp ground cumin

1-1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Chili:

2 lb ground chicken

2 lb ground turkey

2 end pieces whole wheat sliced bread plus a little more, dry or equivalent (As in whatever bread you have, and dry in a low oven if it needs it), soaked in olive oil

Leftover veg, cook's choice, chopped

2 onions, chopped

1 large green pepper, chopped

2-5 cloves garlic, pressed

1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce

1 small can (6 oz) V8

1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained

1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes

In a large pot, start sautéing the onion in oil. When it starts going translucent, add the rest of the veg.

Move the veg to the sides and start browning the poultry in the center (or move the veg to a bowl and brown the poultry in the pot then return the veg).

Add the tomato sauce, spice mix, diced tomatoes, tomato-sauce-can full of water (which gets the last bits of sauce while measuring). Combine well over medium heat.

Lower the temperature to med-low and simmer until it starts coming together, the veg cook and the liquid reduces (the veg will add liquid as they cook). Add the beans and simmer some more.

After simmering 1-1.5 hrs., taste. If it seems done, it's time to serve.

Note: a different version uses coarse cornmeal instead of bread, but that's an assertive flavor and maybe not for the picky.

ginjj thanked plllog
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    last year

What age? Child? Adult?. What is the go-to rotation through the week.

I ask because i had an 8 and 10 year old for a week, two weekends, a dozen years ago while the parents were discussing a divorce and needed privacy.

They dropped off a case of boxed mac and cheese, spagetti and a few jars of marinara, frozen tater tots/chicken nuggets and a couple bottles of ketchup. Junky cereal, eggo waffles. They have lots of fast foods like happy meals a couple times a week. Lots of soda. Not a great diet for a child or adult. Neither parent cooks. No judgement. Not appropriate.

I was surprized what they tried and liked. A similar white chili as above but mine is pink using homemade master stock and a pint of my marinara. My marinara is loaded with onion, celery, carrots, golden beets, then blendered smooth. Tinned tomatoes. Cooking time is quick...about an hour.

Another surprise was smoothy 'milkshakes'. Carrot, celery, kale stem juice with apple, orange juice, greek yogurt, banana....

And quick 6 hour pickles. And frozen grapes.

They loved my pasta sauce and no clue it had so much veg.

A picky eater could be a medical issue if young. They don't have the vocabulary to express a dietary issue or connect food to a gut distress.

ginjj thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • Lars
    last year

Here's a recipe for white chili that is similar to how I make it. I do not use this much cumin, and I have not used coriander in the past, but I think it would be good. I like coriander with chicken more than I do cumin.

This reminds me a bit of Enchiladas Suizas, except the enchiladas do not have beans and have cheese instead.

ginjj thanked Lars
  • bbstx
    last year

This recipe was developed by the Food Editor of a local newspaper. She entered it in a contest that required the use of Paul Newman’s salsa. She won and her prize was dinner with Paul Newman.

It can be made with leftover chicken or even rotisserie chicken. Takes no time at all. You control the heat with the spiciness of the salsa you choose. If even the mildest salsa is too spicy, try stewed tomatoes that contain similar ingredients to salsa.

I omit the celery salt. It isn’t a seasoning that I keep on hand. Instead, I throw in a tiny pinch of celery seeds.

ginjj thanked bbstx
  • plllog
    last year

I find it interesting that most of these recipes are for white chili. My mother's tastes like regular chili, but mild and not beefy.

ginjj thanked plllog
  • ginjj
    Original Author
    last year

BBSTX thank you for your recipe. I really like recipes with few ingredients and no spice!

Thanks to all of you who sent in ideas; I can try them limiting the spice.

• l pinkmountain
    last year
    last modified: last year

I use chicken in my white chili. My recipe is totally easy. I buy "chili ready" white beans, and a couple cans of mild green enchilada sauce, and a small can of mild chopped green chilies. Saute chopped chicken breast in olive oil with a small chopped onion. Add whatever vegetables you like, or not. Ones I usually add are yellow pepper, yellow squash and white or yellow corn. Keeping with the light color scheme. I have found yellow tomatoes on occasion and have added them, but red ones are OK if you think you will need tomatoes for it to taste like chili to you. I often don't add them. After chicken is browned and onions are translucent, add the beans and the enchilada sauce and the canned chilis if you are using them. Add a healthy shake of Adobo seasoning to taste. If you don't have adobo, then the ingredients are garlic, oregano and cumin. To taste, maybe start with 1/2 tsp. of each, going up or down depending on how you like each flavor. A bay leaf won't hurt, nor will some ancho chili powder or smoked paprika if you like those flavors. Cover with low fat, low salt chicken broth and cook at least 20 min. Shred chicken. If you want it thicker, puree some of the beans. If you want to gild the lily, a little cream or sour cream or top with melted cheese. Could also use condensed evaporated milk of some kind, or not if you are lactose intolerant. We eat low sodium, so salt as you go to your taste.

ginjj thanked l pinkmountain