Software
Houzz Logo Print
emily_mohn54

Which master bath style?

3 years ago

So these are extremely rough sketches, but getting an idea for the space we’re maybe planning for. His/hers closets or one long narrow closet? Dimensions are approximate at this point.
I love hooks to hang hoodies, scarves, and purses etc, so the long one has that wall space. But having separate closets also has its appeal.

one long- 5x16
his hers- 6x8 and 5x8

Comments (9)

  • 3 years ago

    Clothes can't turn corners.

    And as to whether or not to have one or two closets, that depends on you and your spouse. I did that in our condo and never again. His idea of keeping a closet neat is to hang everything wherever, and if things drop on the floor? Oh well. Drove me nuts so now we have our own closets. YMMV.

  • 3 years ago

    Can you explain the clothes can’t turn corners? I’m confused lol. This is all just a visual, I have more detailed drawings of how each closet would be setup (rods and shelves etc)

  • 3 years ago

    You have in both drawings the hangers 90 degrees from one another. How will you hang clothes in the closet corners?

  • 3 years ago

    You can certainly hang clothes in a corner if you are using something like the ELFA system. You do block seeing the clothes on one leg of the corner, but works well as a space to hang off season things or rarely used clothing. I would place rarely used long formal dresses in that spot.

    Just took a photo in my guest closet. One rod goes into the corner and the other doesn't. I placed hangers to show where clothes would go.


  • 3 years ago

    I also much prefer having my own closet. DH isn't the neatest and has a unique way of utilizing shelves! He places them really far apart, height wise, and then barely puts anything on them!

    Is this a remodel or new construction?

  • 3 years ago

    This is new construction. Forget the way the hangers are facing, I just drew them for visual purposes (to say “this is a closet” lol) I’m mostly wondering about the actual closet placement. Long narrow, or his/hers? Pros cons of each.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Personal preference/needs, but I’d be inclined to shift the door placement and layout of the bathroom to allow for a deeper walk-in and a single reach in closet. I need way more linear feet of closet storage - my husband is more than happy with a decent reach in (a small walk-in would be a waste). Separate is a must for us.

  • 3 years ago

    What does your architect suggest?

    I need way more linear feet of closet storage - my husband is more than happy with a reach in (a small walk-in would be a waste). Separate is a must for us.

    Yes us too. My DH has a 6' reach in closet and I have the walk in closet. I also prefer not having 2 openings that could shed light late at night or early in the morning into the bedroom so version 2 would work better for me.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    How much space are you allowing in the second scheme between the vanities and tub and shower? It would appear to be 4'-0". That seem rather tight. Would suggest you increase it another foot if possible.