Software
Houzz Logo Print
gretchen_anderson

How do I hide this?

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
In my new apartment, my oven is in a very strange place. Looking for any ideas. I would love to have something somewhat useful...maybe something with wine?

Comments (39)

  • 13 years ago
    Does any heat come out of the back of the stove? If so, not good for wine;)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Is it a vent and needs to stay open? Could it at least be painted with special heat resistant paint?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I was thinking more of leaning something against the wall above it...like a chalkboard. Not sure if its a vent...I think the oven vents out of one of the burners.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm hesitant to paint it since I will only be here about a year or two...I don't think I'm allowed to.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Did you happen to see what the previous renters had there? It really is in an unusual place! It just needs to look good in the kitchen and on the counter there. I love chalk boards. Do you have one that is the same length? What else do you think you will put on this counter? Is it to sit at and eat?
  • 13 years ago
    Is that the back of the oven? Do you have a front view?
  • 13 years ago
    Stove?
  • 13 years ago
    @River- she is renting
  • 13 years ago
    "STOVE" ? ? ? Explain please!
  • 13 years ago
    jbv -- what's to explain? It's the back of the range (stove, oven), the kind of range that has the controls on a panel in the back. It's meant to sit against a full wall.
  • 13 years ago
    If it gets hot with oven use there aren't many options. No wine especially. If not then just stick a wine rack or terrarium in front of it.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    It's a free standing stove where a drop stove should be. I'd stack used brick to hide it; leave the sides open.
    Is the counter your only eating area? If it is, definitely ask the landlord to change the stove. They're cheap enough if you get a used one.
  • 13 years ago
    Cesca7- why stick a wine rack in front of it with no wine in it ;)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    The stove is the whole appliance, which we see the back of here. I doubt the back of this gets hot, but I do think it needs the vents open a bit, even though they are usually against the wall.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    River, it looks like a pass through to the living area. Any landlord who would put that stove there doesn't care. I could do that to myself for a temporary fix but not to a tenant.
    Don't put a dime into this apartment, Gretchen.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    It's not the only place to eat. Chalkboard...not sure what else. Maybe other little knick knacks. The brick idea would be good, but this room and the connecting living room have a breezy, cape cod type feel. Brick would be too heavy.

    Its a pass through to the kitchen itself.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Pictures? Bread basket? Serving tray? Something wicker? Canisters of candy/treats/cookies? Cookbooks?
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe just some greenery.... plant, or floral arrangement (even a nice artificial)... just need something to take the focus off of it.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the lattice idea and the greenery. Thanks so much for all the great ideas!
  • 13 years ago
    does the front of the stove face the washing machine?
  • 13 years ago
    there is some space there, and a door which is open in the picture.
  • 13 years ago
    The chalkboard would work if it fits your décor. The brick would be like a mini hearth you could place votives in on the living room side. The next question is, do you want to block just the stove or the whole kitchen?
  • 13 years ago
    I think a wine rack is a good idea if it doesn't get warm but you'll have to test it out first. If that won't work maybe you can turn it into a decorative shelf with some framed photos, a plant, pottery, a tray, etc. You don't necessarily have to fully hide it, just distract the eye. Good luck in your new apartment.
  • 13 years ago
    Probably just the stove, but I wouldn't be opposed to blocking the whole kitchen
  • 13 years ago
    Margo, I only suggest wine rack if it gets no heat.
  • 13 years ago
    That would look nice- antique white. Just be sure you're able to secure the chalkboard- 30" is wide and could be weighty.
  • 13 years ago
    Yeah- my friend's condo was like this, but the sink was at the pass thru. Really awkward. Hers was an inside unit, so she installed opaque reeded glass to allow some light into the space.
  • 13 years ago
    If you don't use it as a pass through and there are no heat issues, then I would place a couple of bookshelves there and use it to empty that box.
  • 13 years ago
    Place an rack like this an inch or so in front of the stove if venting is an issue. http://houzz.com/photos/5502446
    Then display your wine to either or both sides of it.
  • 13 years ago
    I would simply take some measurements and get a piece of wood cut to fit either the part that shows or all the way up. If it goes all the way up, maybe put sides so its like a box with a side missing to divide the counter into three areas. Two pass throughs and one alcove. PS why is River such an a$$? If you're going to talk like that, use a personal account and not your company. It's bad PR. And no River, I'm not a woman, just someone who understands this forum is to help.
  • 13 years ago
    It's decorating, terrius, not a NATO conference. Sometimes a good laugh is a lot of help!
  • 13 years ago
    Here is a variation of regina5697's idea:
    http://houzz.com/photos/1015432

    And another idea:
    http://houzz.com/photos/824593
  • 13 years ago
    @brickin LOL LOL LOL
  • 13 years ago
    $0L- Lo$ -L$L
  • 13 years ago
    How about a tall screen? It will cover that whole area and then you can take it with you when you move.
    Four Panel Folding Screen in Antique White Finish w Hand Painted Birds & Tree · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    If you don't need the counter space, you could also line up a display of distressed shutters and/or window boxes for a beach-y feel.
    Your etsy finds are fabulous. The chalkboard crafter also had a muslin backed frame with a clothesline photo display. Pretty laid back and unique.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you get much natural light there? A nice rectangular planter the length of the stove back with a nice plant would be great. If you don't want the pass thru you could put a strip of lattice cut to fit the space in between planter and stove but a plant will do the trick unless it gets not there, which I doubt, since it'd meant to be against a wall. Pothos is easy to grow and doesn't require much light.