Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djbrandon19943

Nerine Winter Care?

Hi! I have some nerines of unknown species that dont look so hot and was looking for some advice. I kept them dry over the summer and they didn’t flower this year. They’re now inside in front of a west facing glass slider and the leaves have stretched toward the sun and flopped over. I try to keep them watered but let the top couple inches dry out. I don't have a picture at the moment but can get one if needed. Thanks in advance :)

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Where are you located? Nerines, while not winter hardy in many areas, are NOT houseplants. If they cannot be planted in the ground, they should be planted in containers that are left outside until a hard frost or until the foliage dies back. They can then be stored for winter in a cool basement or similar until they can be brought back outside.

• bella_florentia
    Original Author
    last year

I’m in Mass, by the time it was cold enough to bring them in they were still fully leafed out. Are they supposed to be dormant through the winter as well?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

" Are they supposed to be dormant through the winter as well? "

Yes. The foliage should die back after flowering (if it has not already) and not reappear until spring and being brought back out into the sun and weather.

This period of dormancy is very necessary so another good reason to not attempt to grow them indoors year round.

• Embothrium
    last year
    last modified: last year

What kinds you have is a critical point because there are two sets of life modes, summer growing and winter growing. If it appears yours are winter growing set up some artificial lighting in order to meet their needs.

In colder climates, with the exception of the hardy species Nerine bowdenii, these bulbs must be grown under glass as they will not withstand heavy frost on the foliage

Nerine | Pacific Bulb Society

• bella_florentia
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you both for your input, it’s greatly appreciated. The packaging was a mix of pink and white and didn’t say what species they were, but I will coax them back into dormancy until spring and see how they do. Worst case they don’t make it and I can start fresh with a species I can identify

• Embothrium
    last year
    last modified: last year

Pictures of pink + white flowers sounds like packages of Nerine bowdenii I think I have seen at retail outlets in my area - the identification of what you bought should also have been given on the package. This opens at N. bowdenii.:

Nerine Species One | Pacific Bulb Society

• iochroma
    last year

I Love Nerines, and agree with Embothrium and GardenGal, but would emphasize that they are SUMMER-growing, and need to be watered and fed generously then. If you didn’t this year, no worries. They will most likely come back when you get them on track.

In my frost-free climate I try to keep them abolutely dry after the fall whether they bloom or not, and wait for the foliage to wither naturally ouside under cover. This could also be accomplished inside. Once they are dormant one can pull the bulbs out of the pots if you need the space. Either way, I give the bulbs new soil every year. The bulb soil has pumice and perlite, but still retains moisture, and has a dash of oyster shell. Big deep pots give better results.

I do also have a few winter-growing species and they get an early summer dormancy, the same as Amaryllis belladona. My favorite of these is a tiny miniature I got from a bonsai grower. It can’t go dry for long in any season.

I don’t see why one could not grow them as a houseplant as long as they had the seasonal changes and plenty of sun.

• bella_florentia
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you both! I will treat it like bowdenii going forward and bring it out next spring. I am also growing Amaryllis belladonna for the first time so thank you for the advice on that too :)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County