Software
Houzz Logo Print
gsweeney55

Help with backsplash please

3 years ago

Hi. I am having to rebuild the interior of our home after being flooded from hurricane Ian. Our kitchen is a complete redo - except for the tile floor ( see picture).

We have chosen white shaker cabinets with brushed nickel hardware. We will do a white quartz counter with a bit of beige/gray vein. My dilemma is the backsplash. I have never been a fan of backsplashes when I had granite because I felt they always competed for design. But the quartz is so plain.

I like the mosaic sticks in the attached picture. But someone told me mosaics are dated. Do I just keep it plain with white subway tile? The walls are BM Edgecomb gray (which actually looks beige).

The kitchen is small so not sure it could handle anything too bold / and that’s not really my style. I’d appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Comments (13)

  • 3 years ago

    @Verbo. We would if we could but only thing salvaged in the flood. No flood insurance so we don’t have extra money to spend on things we don’t need.

  • 3 years ago

    @eld6161. No, not a look I’ve always wanted. And don’t want to go back in time. Just having a hard time finding something to use as backsplash

  • 3 years ago

    I'd stay way from white subway -- mixing whites is notoriously hard to get right. Try to find a subway that is the same or similar color to the veining in the quartz and that also coordinates with the floor.

  • 3 years ago

    You don't have to decide on the backsplash until everything else is in, so don't worry about it now. When you get to that point and you're still not sure repost or update this post. You can also use the counter material as a backsplash as long as you don't have a gas stove. While not everyone agrees, there are some people who don't think you should have quartz behind a gas stove. I don't have an opinion on it myself, just passing along what I've read on this forum. Make sure the white of your cabinets isn't a cool white (leaning blue or gray) as that won't work with your tile floor.

  • 3 years ago

    considering its a small space and the floor remains I think the backsplash is fine. it has a nice feel because of the color .mosaics get criticized but the color seems subtle/ works with the floor and the mosaic pattern isnt as in your face as some of the ones people detest. You can keep looking if you want but you could keep this one . good Luck

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Hi Ilovecolors-

    The purpose of a backsplash is to be well, a backsplash. To protect the wall behind a sink or stove from splashes from washing or cooking.

    You don't need to tile the entire space between the counter and the bottoms of your cabinets in the entire kitchen, that is a waste of money, and certaibly not now.

    If your insurance company gave you the money for it great, that doesn't mean you need to spend it.

    You can decise to only tile the area behind your sink and stove top, or even do something else, such as a stainless sheet. I love the quilted stainless backsplash look, or a brushed stainless, it is so easy to clean!

    You can get inexpensive stainless squares for those areas and cut to size.

    As usual, Verbo is correct.

    You know what the floors look like, and additionally, how they will stand out when the rest of the kitchen is brand new.

    Save the unused insurance money and squirrel away your own money over time until you can replace your own damaged kitchen floors.

    Once you replace your floors you can then decide if you want to purchase a backsplash over a larger area that will coordinate with your cabinets and floors.

    The floors will be a big cost and the backsplash should match the floors, not the other way around.

    And if in the future you ever want to sell, the damaged floors would most definitely bring down the price of your house, so this isn't simply about esthetics.

  • 3 years ago

    @loobab. Unfortunately there is no insurance money / we are on the hook for the whole house. The remediation company said the tile floors throughout the house are fine - we did have to take out new laminate floors in the bedrooms. To take out the tile in the rest of the house and replace would be cost prohibitive right now. We are trying to get the house back to livable/ but I’m also trying not to spend good money on mistakes - thus my seeking advice on the backsplash. I think the consensus is to wait and see how the rest of the kitchen comes together / and then decide. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

  • 3 years ago

    omg, I am so sorry!

    And I am sorry for misunderstanding.

    So here is the most important question.

    Be brutally honest with yourself.

    How long will you be in this house?

    Is it a 2 story house and are you older and is there a chance you or your spouse won't be able to do stairs at some point?

    Is there a possibility you will relocate to be near relatives?

    Is there a possibility that as you age or God forbid become ill, you would need to move to a different type of living situation, maybe an apartment?

    You don't need to tell us, just really think about it.

    I bring this up because since you will have to spend your own coin on this remodel, maybe you really want to think about it super duper carefully and how many years you really are going to stay in this house and is it worth the investment of a lot of money.

    If you are only going to be there 5 years - 10 years, versus going to be there 25 years, well that's something else entirely.

    Because knowing that your money is rather tight now and you can't do the floors, there is a good chance that someone buying the house from you will totally re-do the kitchen anyway, and you won't get your money back on whatever you spend on the kitchen now.

    I know this is really hard to hear, but is there some way you can do do a bare bones kitchen re-do getting the minimum you need for a functional kitchen?

    If you think you qualify, can you contact Habitat for Humanity to help you with construction?

    Depending on your profession or your spouse's profession maybe his fellow union members would help out with some demo work - I have heard about fellows in the construction trades and firemen and soldiers really helping out in these situations.

    Now if you are young and this situation of moving soon doesn't apply to you, forget everything I said about a minimal kitchen until you move.

  • 3 years ago

    I like it with your floor, and not a lot will be that good with your floor. But I do worry due to your name. Are you SURE? :)


    You can get by without a backsplash at all so it really is easy to wait to do it last. But use a good quality washable paint behind sink and stove while you do wait.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    IMO we need to see your space . I assume the picture is not your kitchen.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Definitely wait until the cabinets and counter tops are in before you select a backsplash. The narrow mosaics are very busy so I would never have chosen them--they're best used in small doses. But with white on white, you might consider a rectangular or square tile in an actual color. What colors are the adjoining rooms? If your kitchen is small, then your backsplash won't be a huge investment of cash even if the price per square foot is on the high side.

  • 3 years ago

    Thank you all so much. Thank you for understanding our situation. We are going to wait until counters are installed then decide backsplash. Good advice.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH