Shop Products
dbarronoss

Glasshouse Works

dbarron

I'm not associated with this company, in fact I received my first order yesterday from them. I was pleased enough to want to write a review (which I did on Garden Watchdog), but thought maybe some folks on GW would appreciate it as well. I'll change up my review a bit for the different purpose/audience and include some photos.

I placed a relatively small order (6 plants I think) in earliest November, the Paypal payment sat for about a week, then I got a projected ship date email of 'in November'. The plants shipped the Wednesday before Thanksgiving (causing them to spend at least 2 extra days in shipment, which caused me distress with the cold weather), however, they arrived quite safely and looked good for being 6 or 7 days in a dark box. They were small (but with the prices..which I appreciate), but I expected that. In truth, they were larger than I had expected. In point of fact, I could see that about half the plants were budded with incipient flowers. that was quite unexpected for plants in 2 1/2 inch pots. There was some soil dislodgement, but not serious, I settled it back in with a good watering for all.

Begonia 'Withlacoochee' was not something I ordered, it was a gift or a seconday substitution for the Impatiens soldenii I had ordered.

One item was substituted with another species in the same genus, which I'm uncertain if I'm happy about or not (time will tell). I wasn't consulted about the substitution and was unaware till I unpacked the box. The invoice had a note that they weren't in leaf (whether that meant the target plant was semi-dormant or was in a bad shape, I don't know). The plant not shipped was Impatiens soldenii 'Zanzibar', they sub'd with Impatiens niamniamensis 'Frieling's Cream Rim'. which I think they have the wrong pic associated with on their website :( I have a dislike of variegated things, so it may give me shivers every time I walk by it...not sure.

They included a free plant (an english ivy var 'Anita'), which I personally find offensive as a plant. Hey, it was free, I'm not gonna quibble about it with them...but hedera helix is an invasive exotic, so I will either find someone else to take it (I hate to destroy a plant) or will dispose of it. Err pardon the dead plants that I never got up the umption to dispose of from last winter:(

I would prefer they had taken the time to call, text, or email me and consult me on the substitution, but all in all, they may have provided me a more proper plant for my windowsill conditions (jury still out).

I was very pleased with the Cryptanthus 'Elaine' and hope I can do it proud.

Also in the order (but not photographed as they weren't particularly interesting till they come into flower): begonia evansiana (dormant of course), jasminum sambac 'Little Duke', and Pelargonium 'Bird Dancer' (stellar geranium).

I am not adverse to ordering again when there is sufficient plant material I want, though I do feel like their communication channels could be improved. If you expect exhibition quality and size plants, don't shop here. But if you want good starter plants with a wide variety and aren't particularly insistent that they be delivered any time soon, they may be a good source.

• socks

Interesting. I’ll check them out, although I rarely order plants in the mail. That last one is very pretty.

• dbarron

I do understand that and don't necessarily disagree, iochroma. But I'm mostly satisfied.

They do have a 'I'll do what I want, when I want' attitude.

• hc mcdole

I agree with iochroma. I quit them probably 10 years or more ago. At first I was quite pleased with them as they would send a bonus AND a freebie plant. Often times, they would send the wrong thing or didn't know better (but they should know better).

My last two orders took four months to receive. Their excuse for each time was due to cold weather. Yet, Logee's, Taylor GH, and The Violet Barn are probably as cold and could get the order out in a week or two. I don't miss them.

• iochroma

Also I have Impatiens sodenii 'Flash', 'Madonna', and 'Eric the Red'. I will start some cutting today...

• dbarron

Oh, that would please me greatly...to have my cake and eat it too! My favorite has always been Flash. Looking up 'Eric the Red' didn't find, maybe 'Robert the Red' which is a pink? Oh then there's 'Eric the Red' at Mo Bot Gardens...ok, wow....not much and no pics ;(

• iochroma

Oh, right; that's his name. Mr. Impatiens (Derick) once introduced me to the Robert he named this after. How could I forget?

Here in SF the best feature of that cv is that the stems get very red when in the sun.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)

Thank you for the honest review and visuals!

• rusty_blackhaw

My impression of Glasshouse Works (based partly from a visit years ago) is that they propagate a significant number of the plants they sell to order - in other words, when they get your order they propagate from stock plants to fill it. That would explain the long delays people have experienced in getting their plants. They still offer an amazing selection and I've gotten healthy and surprisingly large plants from them by mail order.

• dbarron

Well, a slight update, everything seems to have made the transition to my conditions. I've repotted two things (the geranium and the impatien). Being in a box for at least six days must not be much fun.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL

When did you visit, Rusty? I went there a couple times, thinking it was around 1999-2001. When I went, they were not setup as a retail store but they welcomed me and let me look around and go in the greenhouses. I brought a friend the 2nd time and we filled the trunk with plants. Also got several beautiful plants books on each visit.

I used to think I wanted an Akebia vine, but after seeing what that was doing to their property, my mind changed instantly.

• dbarron

The jasmine has settled in enough to start producing new growth, the geranium is looking very happy. The other plants are in a much cooler laundry room and showing some new growth as well. No pest problems have arisen.

The impatien dropped it's buds but has began to produce a few more, which hopefully will take. The geranium will undoubtedly produce flower stalks soon.

• Embothrium

If they are growing to order on a routine basis - and this is actually not mentioned anywhere in their public presentation - they should do so.

• dbarron

It is...they plainly state they propagate after the fact. But apparently no one reads.

• Embothrium

they plainly state they propagate after the fact

That does seem familiar. Otherwise, it has been many years since I ordered from them.