Software
Houzz Logo Print
mod220

Need help with shower dimensions

3 years ago

In the process of converting an original 5' x 8' bathroom with a bathtub to a walk-in shower. This will be my daughters bathroom. The problem is there is an exterior window on the middle of the long wall, limiting the shower width. I can take from part of the window frame to widen the shower, but after Ditra/tile, the finished shower will be 30" x 56". The curb will be 5.5" wide when finished. So the final widths will be 30" total, around 27" from long wall to sliding glass door on opposite wall (elbow room), and 24.5" from long wall to curb (feet room). I'm just nervous that's pretty tight when moving around, anyone else have a shower this size and find it a problem?

Comments (22)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Many people would have trouble with this tight a shower. Can you rearrange the room to put the shower elsewhere? Maybe steal a bit from the bedroom next door?


    Oh, and we will need a diagram of this floor of your house. At least make one of the bathroom and the adjoining rooms, with all wall, door, and window measurements marked. You will get more answers if people can see what you have to work with.

  • 3 years ago

    It sounds like the long wall with the window is limiting the depth of the shower to 27 inches interior. I believe you need at least 30 inches.

    Can you make a sketch showing wall dimensions, window opening and trim and door entry?

    Label all dimensions.

  • 3 years ago

    Beth, the OP says their window is on the long wall, not the short wall.

  • 3 years ago

    Check to be sure this meets your local code requirements--many require a 30" radius circle fit inside the shower, and it doesn't sound like you have that. I would consider making the window smaller if you can--what size is it now, and what material is the exterior of your house? Moving it would be ideal, but that's a lot more involved than just reducing its size.

  • 3 years ago

    sorry cat,,,you're right. when I saw limiting the width, for some reason I thought of the shower wall.

    This is why photos are so important when people post questions.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    IMO without a to scale drawing we are working in the dark .

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the help and feedback. Beth, where is the 32-33" dimension measured from, inside, of curb, glass panel? I'm guessing those are 3 x 8 subway tiles which would be 32" from outside of curb to opposite wall?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago



    I put this together real quick, not the best, but gives you an idea. you enter from hallway into middle of the bath. I used finished dimensions, factoring in .5" for Kerdi and .5" for tile. so the finished shower to outer curb is 53" x 31", depending on what glass we use and where we put it, will obviously determine usable width. The "wall" was a wall we framed over the brick, to add insulation and to deal with the uneven brick/construction adhesive that was there, no way to have gotten a straight wall so we framed a new one.


    (sorry, use 2nd pic, not sure how to delete the first one, I made a typo on that one...)

  • 3 years ago

    You mght be able to make a curbless shower and make the whole bathroom a wet room. Use a shower curtain on a curved rod.

    Where exactly is the entry door. How big is the door? How much room to the left of the entry door?

  • 3 years ago

    There is really no room between the door/window and the shower to work with, I'm already reducing the trim as much as possible (leaving just enough to cover casing). I guess the million dollar question is what do you use to measure the 30" width requirement? I just read the building code and it is not clear on this at all. I'm hopeful its from the outside of the curb to opposite wall, which would make the most sense, since you cold do a curved shower rod, have no curtain, etc.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I think a 30" interior dimension is just too small. I just finished renovation of a 5x8 bathroom, including a tub to shower conversion. I originally planned to keep the same footprint, such that the shower would be the same dimensions as the tub had been. Once we got going, though, I realized that the result (about 58x29-30", depending on curb) felt too small. I ended up pushing the shower out as far as possible while still meeting other clearances, so finished interior measures 58"x33.5". I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that.

    Have you ever taken a shower in a bathtub that has a sliding door? I'm thinking that's about 28" and feels pretty claustrophobic.

  • 3 years ago

    if the standard tub is 30 x 60, and most of us grew up with those tubs, with shower doors, I feel like it should work, no? I don't think it will be the most spacious, but this will basically be my daughters bath until she moves out in a decade, and will likely never be used again (we have 5 full baths in our home, so this is kind of an extra anyway). Maybe I can go with a swing door (save space of sliders) and push the door install slightly to the outside of the curb? I know a few inches makes a big difference, we just don't have the space, unfortunately.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    mod220, the tiles are 3x12

    the measurement was taken to the curb, which is 4"

    so you can see the inner floor depth is at least 36"

    At the time they had a stadard tub just like youre talking about. the home was built in 1980. The toilet was right there, so we couldn't come out any more.


    (and before anyone says anything about waterproofing, there is a vapor barrier behind the Durock)

  • 3 years ago

    Are you sure those are 12” subway tiles? The curb is 4”, I assume the drain is as well, they are half the length of the subway, which would make sense for 8” tiles, they’re certainly not 1/3 the length?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Pretty sure they are. (I can go next door and measure again!) the decorative ones are 9x9

    let me ask




  • 3 years ago

    You certainly don’t need to go remeasure! Just by looking at the curb and drain, being 4”, it appears they are exactly half the length, so 3x8 is what I’d bet money on! So this would be 32” deep to the outside of the curb, 1” more than mine, and clients find it comfortable?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I actually think they're 3x9. My mistake. Looking closer at this picture I can see it better


    I know we measured out from the wall to about 32-34", so that would make sense given the curb is 4".

    Actually, I just called her and asked. 31" from back wall to inside of curb. she measured for me. (and yes, the tiles are 3x9. all this time I thought they were 3x12! lol)

    Yes, they say it's fine. One person shower, obviously.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Here is a shot of the fixed glass panels. white arrows. no door

    they used that sapphire glass. no green tint

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks so much! I thought about a single glass panel too, but worry it will be a bit cold for her, and also didn’t like the idea of having to go inside to turn the water on. I could move faucet handle to opening but not sure I want to move plumbing a third time!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    well, it will be less glass and gunky plastic guards to keep clean!

    (does she squeegee? she will have to unless you have soft water)

    reaching in isn't bad. there's always a second or two delay before the water comes out.

    I have a completely open shower (it's wider) w/no glass at all. it's not the least bit drafty.


    here's what you can do. When you call out the glass guys for measurement, ask them if you do the panels and decide you want a door, can that be added on to the other side later? This way, no harm, no foul.

  • 3 years ago

    She’s only six, so no squeegee yet! I’m a So Cal native and wish we could have an open shower like yours, but a brick home without insulation in Ohio, in the winter, is a bit too chilly!