Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinowasso

2023 tomato list

I will post in the comments section, since i don't Know if this will work for me or not.

Comments (28)

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    last year

Slicers

Cherokee Carbon F1

Early Girl (ind)

Gary ‘O Sena (need to save seeds)

Grandma Suzy's Beefsteak (need to save seeds)-

Indian Stripe

Jetsetter F1

Ramapo (New Jersey tomato for Ron)

Sioux Super

Sioux

Vorlon (need to save seeds)

Louisiana Gulf State (new)

Paul Robeson (new)

Black Brown Boar (I don't have this, but I grew it before during a very hot summer, so I hope it would do well again.)

Tomatoes, Cherry

Black Cherry

Large Red Cherry

Tomatoes, Dwarf

Fred's tie dye

Lemon Ice Dwarf (new)

Tomatoes, Sauce

Heidi

Jersey Devil (new) (also, Jersey tomato)

Tomatoes, determinate

Bison (new)

Celebrity Plus F1 (new)

I don't have room for all of these. Some of you may be gifted with them at spring fling.

• hazelinok
    last year

Short list for tomatoes.

For canning diced tomatoes (and some fresh eating)

Jet Setters

24 plants

For canning sauce

Heinz (I honestly just chose one. Never grown it. Anyone have experience with it? I chose it because it's determinate. Once it's done, they'll come out and something else will be planted in that row)

24 plants

Dr. Wyche

German Johnson

Abe Lincoln

These I want to start saving seed from and do the thing you talked about Amy, and hopefully will develop tomatoes acclimated to my growing conditions.

I'll probably do 3 or 4 of each.

Sungold (maybe 2)

Black Cherry

Sweet 100

(I'll just pick up store-bought plants for those 2 this year. Just one of each)

And, let's be honest, I'm sure I'll come home with a few from SF if we have it this year.

Amy, let me know what you think about Paul Robeson. I almost ordered it last year.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    last year

I grew Herman's Special, homestead 24, and Heinz VF in 2021. They were overwhelmed by volunteer cowpeas and didn't produce well. I should give them a second chance, but no room. I thought about Paul Robeson when i couIdn't find a source for Gary O' Sena. (I always got it from Sample Seed shop) Gary always did well for me. I MUST save seeds from it. Ordered celebrity plus when i couldn't get Early Girl anywhere, then found Early Girl. I want Black and Brown Boar, but the places that sell it aren't my usuals and getting Ron's Ramapo cost me the same in shipping as the seeds cost.

Bison and Celebrity Plus are both determinates.

" Determinate 'Bison' has compact, two-foot tall, regular-leaf plants that produce round to oblate shaped, red colored, two to eight ounce tomatoes. They are juicy with a complex, mildly tart flavor. 'Bison' is well suited for fresh eating as well as for canning." IDK, maybe I was suckered into it because of the name. I was definitely suckered in by Jersey Devil's name, LOL. But it sounds good too.

"Old heirloom with tapered, 5 to 6-in., bright red fruits shaped like a banana pepper. Exceptionally productive plants yield solid, very meaty, sweet fruits that are unsurpassed in sauces and salsas. Very few seeds. Indeterminate."

Heidi kind of failed me last year, so i have a back up. My husband may shoot me, but we need to do some canning.

Someone here or on FB convinced me i needed the lemon ice. We'll see what happens.

• hazelinok
    last year

Amy, Heidi wasn't great for me either. It was the first time I've grown it. I will give it another chance. This year wasn't a fair year for trying out new things.

I do like the thought of determinate for processing more and more. Maybe even for diced tomatoes in the future. Maybe. The Jet Setters are good (not amazing) in taste....and I really like them for canning diced toms.

Paul Robeson is one that Jessica from R&R likes. She mentioned it in a "favorite tomato varieties" video.

I need to make a note to check in with you on how your varieties perform. We have a few months, though. :D

• Kim Reiss
    last year

Shortest list ever. I will only be growing Porter from my saved seed collection. I grow it out every year to keep fresh seed going. Didn’t get to save any seed from 2022. Grasshoppers. I need to focus on things I can actually eat or juice. And I am drastically downsizing my planting space this year.

• Rebecca (7a)
    last year

Amy, sometimes TMD grows Gary O’Sena

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    last year

Good point. Sand Hill has seeds, I just decided I didn't want to deal with snail mail. I MIGHT even have one seed left to save seeds from.

• Nancy Waggoner
    last year

I'm goind to try Victory Gardeners' Balkanzauber Seed determinate tomato. Sounded prolific. And good.

I thought this was very funny--I finally ordered Arkansas Traveler, based on your love for it, Amy--and WHAT? Don't see it on your list!

Only other one is Egg Yolk.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

Grand daughter was here Sunday, and, I ask her to pick out something that she would like to try, I had suggested Sungold because she likes cherry tomatoes. I gave her my card and ask to order anything else that she would like to try, so I have no idea what I will be planting this year.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    last year

Nancy, I do love Arkansas Traveler. It is the prettiest late summer tomato, when everything else is cracked or catfaced. But I have so many new ones, or ones I must shave seed from, so guess I decided not to grow it this year.

I did get Black Brown Boar. And tomato growers supply sent THREE new varieties as freebies.

• okoutdrsman
    last year

Amy, I’ll check, but I may have Gary O Sena seed leftover from last year. Mine didn’t produce a single tomato, but like Jennifer, I’m not drawing any conclusions because of the weather we had.

i am paring my list down to only the ones that produced inspite of the heat.

Cherokee Carbon

Juliet

Heidi

San Marzano

Jetstar or one of the other red hybrids.

• hwy20gardener
    last year

Maybe I'm late looking at seed, but they are a lot tougher to find this year. Everything seems to be out of stock or only available in market gardener counts. But so far:

Bush Steak (Burpee, new for us)

Roadster (If I can get a packet soon...really want to try this one)

Bush San Marzano (will be the majority of what we plant)

Brandy Boy (Burpee, new for us)

Super Beefsteak (Burpee, for our usual face-sized tomato)

Cherokee Purple (Got to have a couple of these every year)

• HU-422368488
    last year

I tend to go heavy on the hybrid beef steak types:

Big Beef

Beef Master

Super Fantastic

Beef Steak

Then some black toms:

Black Krim

Black prince

Cherokee purple

some heirlooms like :

BoxCar Willie

Arkansas Traveler

and then some smaller toms like ;

Better Boy

Rutgers

Celebrity

Early Girl

HomeStead 24

and some cherry toms;

Sweet 100

Red Cherry

SunGold

Rick

• jlhart76
    last year

So far I have sprouted:

Super snow White sprouted 2/22

Sungold sprouted 2/22

Yellow Pear sprouted 2/22

Pink ping pong sprouted 2/22

Orange cream sprouted 2/22

Wherowakawai sprouted 2/22

Summer sunrise sprouted 2/22

Scarlet heart sprouted 2/22

Tasty wine sprouted 2/22

Boronia sprouted 2/22

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    last year

I just noticed there was new activity here. I have seeds for Gary 'O Sena, but they're getting old. We'll see if they germinate. I believe I planted Arkansas traveler any way. It may come to spring fling.

I feel like there are fewer seeds being offered and fewer available from those that have them. The man who developed Heavyhitter Okra is on another forum. Deer took out his okra plantings twice and grasshoppers bothered the final planting. Combined with drought, he had trouble getting enough seed for his contract with Baker Creek. And BC seemed to offer much less this year.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

It seems as tho there are fewer seeds being offered here also. I ask Madge to pick up an ounce of Jalapeno M seeds several days ago, I really did not need them, but with supplies looking like they may get low I had rather have extra seeds on hand.

I also had grand daughter order a few extra tomato seeds. The tomato seeds I really did not need either, but I am trying so hard to pass along the gardening bug in my family, but it seems as tho the immune system is stronger in most young people, and they are able to fight off that bug.

I am sure I have extra seeds of Heavy Hitter that I can pass along to Ron, or anyone else, of course I don't take the pains that I am sure Ron takes with his seeds, I just pick a few dry pods and throw them in a plastic bag hanging on the back porch.

• jlhart76
    last year

I'm not sure which varieties of okra I have but if you want some I'd be happy to share. I only grow it because I like how it looks. Remind me and I'll bring some to spring fling.

• HU-422368488
    last year

I got a couple of packets of Heavy Hitter that I bought directly from Ron a couple of years ago. I'd be happy to send them back to him if I can find them. Don't know how viable they are now.

Rick

• hwy20gardener
    last year

Amy, I'm not surprised at all about the heavy hitter Okra guy having a hard time. I guess he's still in Tahlequah. I couldn't even get a decent cover last fall it was so bad water-wise.

• hazelinok
    last year
    last modified: last year

Jen, I love your list of tomatoes!

Out of your list (other than the SunGold 'cause it's one I always grow), I've grown the Snow White cherry and the Orange Cream, which is just the cutest little tomato plant with decent sized fruit. The seed came from you.

I'll have to live vicariously through you regarding the dwarf tomatoes. I will certainly do the dwarf thing again, tho.

It was 2020 when I tried maybe 6 varieties of them. I got a little distracted that year so didn't give them the attention that they deserved. Rick came out then and did the SG and we did a LOT of canning. We had much produce that year.

Last year, I picked up a gartenperle from you at SF. It did well in our hoop house.

The Snow White is fun cherry tomato. I grew it in 20,21, and 22. It's a very pale yellow and fun to throw into salads with the gold and red cherries.

I'm out of seed for it. I'm only going to do 4 cherry toms total this year.

Anyway....

This is the week to start tomatoes (for me). Maybe tonight even!

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    last year

Ron got heavyhitter seed, just not as much as he wanted. I have plenty of okra seed, thanks. Okra is a short lived seed if I remember correctly.

Jen, I'm trying Cranberry Hibiscus this year. It has Red flowes and edible leaves.

• Kim Reiss
    last year

Okay actually can be a great seed for storage. My fil had some in his shed for at least 10 years. Sun, heat, Mason jar.
    We found it after he passed and I got 80 to 90 percent germination.
    I was so shocked. I was sad when my niece planted it all one year and had total crop failure.

• Kim Reiss
    last year

Really it should say okra

• Dale Preston
    last year

Our standards are:

For eating fresh:

Cherokee Purple

Arkansas Traveler

Rio Grande

Mr. Stripey

Yellow Pear

And for canning:

Rio Grande

Homestead

Marglobe

This year, I'm adding Golden Jubiliee and Pink Brandywine.

• hazelinok
    last year

That looks like a good list, Dale.

When I see everyone else's tomato lists, it sorta makes me regret not starting more varieties. LOL

Maybe next year.

What part of Oklahoma do you live, Dale?

• jlhart76
    last year

HJ I can hook ya up! Got way more than I need. Now to get started on flowers.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    last year

I potted up this week. All tomatoes germinated except black brown boar. I may have spilled the seed out of those cups. Gary O' Sena germinated, I should have enough to get fresh seed. Nancy, I started Arkansas Traveler anyway. I added Atomic Fusion (supposedly heat tolerant). I think it was a freebee.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz