Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_904313248

help with 2 color cabinets

I really wanted a dark navy island with white cabinetry but our galley style kitchen doesn’t allow for a large island so we settled on keeping the current layout with peninsula. The peninsula will be taken down to counter level and brought in within 6 inches of the adjacent cabinet depth so it doesn’t stick out so far. We want to try to paint the peninsula hale navy but my husband thinks it should continue on to the lower cabinets are (circled area in photo 3) and then have the upper cabinets and side with double oven stay white. Where should the navy stop with the peninsula? I think we should only do the peninsula and keep the rest of the kitchen white. Photos are pre-demo to help understand the layout. We’re also changing floors, counters, backsplash, etc.

Comments (19)

  • 3 years ago

    what will you be doing with the floor... i think thats a big element.... the way the kitchen is extra long.... not sure about the two toned cabinet theme. If you had a terrific floor and coordinate the counters, I think you could do all one color on the cabinets and it might come off better due to the configuration. Not sure what the reason is for everything to be changed / is it simple fatigue with the existing?

  • 3 years ago

    I too want to know what you are doing when you say you are "changing your floors". The floors are really nice. I would not change them. Because floors are such a large amount of area in a kitchen, and also are a horizontal view, they are a dominant feature in a kitchen. I will be emphatic here, I would not change the floors.

    Painting just the peninsula will look odd and out of place. But painting the photo's circled area leaves out the wall oven cabinet and that might look odd. The wall oven cabinet in white all by itself in that cabinet run and the rest being Hale Navy. It's hard to picture. Have you looked online for inspiration photos of similar setups? I recommend that.

    To be frank, I would not paint those cabinets at all. Wood cabinets like yours are current and in style. Yours look very nice. And painting "white" can be fraught with problems - there are hundreds of whites, and some are cool white, some are warm white, some have yellow undertones, or gray undertones, etc. You better have a great eye to be able to pick the right white to go with your floors and counters. I would leave your cabinets be, as they are quite nice.

    What I would do is (1) change the counters to something more current, which it sounds like you are doing, (2) have the peninsula be all one level which you said you were doing. (3) After that is completed, pick out a backsplash (don't pick out a new backsplash until after the new counters are in). And that is all, done, finished.


  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I don't think it will look right doing just the peninsula in navy. I prefer your husband's suggestion of white uppers and navy lowers. If you are up for changing the countertops to a white marble or quartz, you could do all white cabinets and bring in a navy backsplash.

  • 3 years ago

    This kitchen pulls off the different color peninsula. I think because it is much larger and has an interesting mix of materials.


    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6334268/kitchen-before-after

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    The floors will be a white oak real wood wider planks. We tore out the floors pictured.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Sorry forgot to mention all the chanted beyond painting cans.
    -new white oak floors
    -removing cabs around windows
    -white quartz counters
    -white Chloe backsplash from Bedrosians
    -minimal brass hardware
    -range instead of cooktop with hood above and microwave removed

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Also we had to change the flooring because they used 3 different types of wood with weird transitions and directions and it ended up costing the same just to replace the whole floor. We wanted fresh wood floors.

  • 3 years ago

    Youre painting existing cabs, or youre getting new cabinets in the same layout?

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Painting existing

  • 3 years ago

    I would pick your floors and countertops first and then chose your cabinet colors... paint colors are many.. stone and tile and wood matches are harder to get... pick everything before you start

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    We had to pick the cabinet colors because our contractor is having them painted this week. Our floor will be a white oak we selected and the counters are hanstone solid white quartz. Paired with Chantilly lace (white with no undertones) and hale navy, it all looks nice. My question is more about which cabinets to paint which colors vs. what finishes to select.

  • 3 years ago

    I like this look

  • 3 years ago

    i think you maybe should do all the circled parts along

    Navy is a Neutral Ranch Remodel & Addition · More Info


    Deep Blue Kitchen Larchmont Manor · More Info

    with peninsula in the navy. the remainder is white? here are a couple ways.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Thank you so helpful!

  • 3 years ago

    I like your husbands idea.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I think painting those cabinets is a big mistake. The natural maple cabinets are lovely, and very current. They don’t make the kitchen dark…and look to be in great shape.

    Quite frankly, as someone who has a true galley kitchen, I wouldn’t have wanted that small peninsula, as it just encloses the cooking area. There’s no room for even one seat.

    I might change out the countertops, for one with more contrasting color. Or, remove the 4” backsplash that’s there, and install a tiled splash, pulled from colors in the stone.

    One area that could definitely use improving, is ventilation. Put the microwave elsewhere, and install a true vent hood over the gas cooktop. That would be a much healthier outcome.

    This idea of multiple cabinet colors in your setup, isn’t a good idea.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I already mentioned the microwave is removed and a range with hood is going in. I also mentioned we’re doing new counters and backsplash. The cabinets are also already primed to be painted so this isn’t helpful advice. The maple wood pulls yellow in a bad way and isn’t our style. I agree the peninsula isn’t ideal but without it we have very little prep space for cooking. The kitchen is galley and is what it is so we’re working with the layout.

  • 3 years ago

    If you are set on two tone. I would do all lowers and the towers in navy,

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Thank you for your feedback!

Sponsored
The Steele Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio