Software
Houzz Logo Print
ktj459

Keep the marble?

3 years ago


I moved into a new house recently and the previous owner installed a marble countertop on the island and next to the stove. I’m a person that never would have chosen marble if it were my decision. The stone is absolutely gorgeous, but it is literally covered in etch marks, most of them just from water glasses, splashes, etc. I had soapstone in my last house, and as someone that always cooks I absolutely loved that surface, with the one caveat being that it would get rings from water which drove me batty. I seem to have moved to a house with the only surface with a WORSE reaction to having water on it for a few seconds.


I’m writing because I don’t know what to do. Do I refinish it and seal it well and often hoping for the best? Do I hone it and seal well and will that make water etching less noticeable? The other option is to rip it out and put in Taj Mahal quartzite, which is my dream countertop in terms of look and durability. Both economically and environmentally I hate to do that, especially since the marble is only about 5-6 years old. I know that eventually I’d like to get the Taj, but I am a litte worried that if I wait on it, it will no longer be my dream counter as new shipments of it are getting more and more grey, and I am not a grey person at all.


That’s the other issue that I have with the kitchen,. While I recognize that it looks gorgeous together, it has a more industrial vibe and cooler colors, which arent what I naturally go for. If I can make it so the marble isn’t showing every water ring, I think I might be able to fix that over time by changing the island color and the backsplash, and perhaps the hardware and lighting. Do you think that even with those changes marble will end up giving it too cool of a look, or would it seem warmer if surrounded by some warmer tones?


I’ve put a picture of the kitchen. You can see that it is very lovely and cohesive. From far away you can’t notice the etching, but close up it is significant. Lots and lots of circles and splashes. What is the best option? Repolish with an excellent sealant? Hone it? Will that ease the look of etching from water? Or am I going to spend a ton of money doing that only to have the same result down the road? I hate to waste what is really a gorgeous piece of stone, so I’d love to find a way to make it work for me. Etching from acids I could probably deal with, and staining likely won’t happen, I am quick to clean. But water marks all the time again is just not something I want on my kitchen surface.



Comments (66)

  • 3 years ago

    Mrs Pete- you hit the nail on the head. What I hate about it is that it looks dirty constantly. And I hesitate and think I should refinish instead of replace because I don’t want to be wasteful. But if someone could reuse it I would feel a lot better. And if it will just go back to looking dirty over and over again I will always be unhappy with it.

  • 3 years ago

    KTJ459- I don’t know what brand hood you have but we moved into a home this summer that looks the same. I thought I needed a hex headed drill bit too. I called the manufacturer and customer service sent me a video immediately on how to dismantle the hood. I was told to use simple green to clean the oil trays and vent. It worked. You maybe able to sell it once cleaning it up.

    ktj459 thanked motupeg
  • 3 years ago

    Iri- LOL. i thought everyone on here would be very much in the camp of oh I love the kitchen why don’t you! I think it would look great in an inner city loft with a very masculine vibe, but I live in a farmhouse on 10 acres! I like a more nature-y vibe. I’m thinking of painting the island a beige or mid-green, because the navy is so dark it really reads as charcoal or black in most lights, and seems to just suck all the light out of the room. The cabinetry is decent so I think a repaint will do. Then I’d love pulls like these….


    and a lighting that also had some warmth too it. I worry about that clashing with all of the appliances, but I know appliances aren’t forever and my plan way down the road would be soft white appliances.


    If I do that and figure out something else for that backsplash, the marble may work. Or then the fact that it is cold white may look even more out of place, I don’t know.

  • 3 years ago

    I think you can probably fix it up and make it look happy without a lot of demolition. (Start by changing out those interesting pendants.) The cabinetry is traditional and pleasant. And broken- in marble can be very warm. A nice honing/etching will take it from "damaged mausoleum" to "well-loved country estate".


    It's cheap to do and if you hate it already...knock off that sheen.

    ktj459 thanked Iri
  • 3 years ago

    Iri- I had never seen pendants like this before. They are integrated LEDs, which makes me wonder what happens when the LED fails eventually, as there is no ”bulb” to change, its the entire interior of the light. They remind me very much of commercial kitchen lighting. Like the lights that are over the ready food to keep it warm before it is served.

  • 3 years ago

    They are integrated LEDs, which makes me wonder what happens when the LED fails eventually,

    Replace the 'LED light engine module'.

    ktj459 thanked ci_lantro
  • 3 years ago

    Freedomplace- i apologize if came off as bashing the previous owner, it is much more that he put in very expensive items so I feel guilty replacing them knowing they are quality items. And I was worried about backlash for saying it’s not my taste when it clearly is a well done kitchen that was not a cheap flip or something. It feels ungrateful. But I don’t think saying I dislike the uneven grout lines or that it feels too commercial for me is really bashing. Or noticing that colors seem to suck away light or look too cool for me. That’s not bashing it’s just me explaining the reasons particular things don’t work for me in order to give greater context about what I want in my future kitchen.


    The finish does bother me because of the level of marking and that it never seems/looks clean, and I do want a warmer feel. I wasn’t meaning to ignore anyone’s comments and I’ve read and digested all of it. I will look into everything mentioned in the whole thread in order to see overall cost, as well as effectiveness. I am worried that with any solution that it will lead back to the way it is now, and I definitely need to look at more pictures of honed marbles or ones that are finished with particular products to see how they hold up over time. And I want to collect other samples to see if adding warmer finishes can warm it up enough for me. I don’t want to try to get the marble looking acceptable to me by spending over 5k if it’ll end up with the same qualities I dislike and I’ll still want to replace it down the road. That would be a waste of money. So that is why I asked and why I have responded to some people further illustrating what I would eventually hope my kitchen would express in it’s design and how I want the products in it to function.

  • 3 years ago

    There is nothing wrong with hating the taste of the previous owner. I felt that way about my farmhouse. She loved grey and beige - I don’t. She loved quarter sawn oak cabinets - I don’t. I have slowly “undone” all of it starting with (of course) the kitchen. But you should unpack, figure out everything you want to change and have a game plan. I hear your Dilemma as seeking ideas. Nothing wrong with that. Start saving inspiration photos for sure.

    You have a farmhouse and this kitchen strikes you as “off”. It doesn’t mean it’s ugly - it’s just the wrong vision for you. I’m in the same boat - going into my 8th year of it.

    ktj459 thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    If you really do not like the kitchen, don't do anything now. Live in it for a while and devise a plan for how to get your dream kitchen. Planning is so important to make sure you get what you want and know the costs of getting it.

    Personally there is a lot in it that I think is really nice, but it's your house, so you need to be happy.

    ktj459 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 3 years ago

    I usually like marble, but eh this is a no go for me too. No judgement on redoing this kitchen from me. The range wall is off putting to me as well. I think I just like things warmer too.

    I think this is a prime example of never renovate for a future buyer. Someone probably told the previous owner these choices would help their house sell. It did sell obviously to you despite the fact you don’t like their choices. But I agree, on wait until after you hav unpacked and you have a solid plan for the entire kitchen to make it how you want.

    ktj459 thanked User
  • 3 years ago

    My favorite part of the kitchen is the run with the ikea butcher block. It looks suited to the house

    ktj459 thanked User
  • 3 years ago

    I have a marble island w/the same issues (and it came from the factory w/a special sealer. it doesn't stain, but I get the same water spots) It's just how it is.

    I do use a large wood cutting board and leave a folded towel right next to it. (the other people in the house are messy!)


    At least this way I'm disguising a lot of it.


    You can have a marble restoration guy come out and polish it. or hone it.

    Then put on a better sealer that gives you time to wipe up water spots/stains. nothing prevents etching, but this will buy you time








    You didn't ask, but may I suggest something diff for the hood?




    I don't think that ss one is the best look (And, does that doorway to the right have to be that large? If you added on to the stove area, you'd get more room on the wall above and could do some shelves



    quick mock up w/diff hood and some diff pendants. (I'd switch all the hardware to gold, including the lights)



    similar island. this kitchen is a bit warmer feeling because of the wood accents


    ktj459 thanked Beth H. :
  • 3 years ago

    rtpaige- that is my favorite segment as well. the glass front cabinetry and the warm wood look great. The cabinets are white but it is not a really bright or stark white so I like how it looks with those tops. If I weren’t positive my husband and kids would destroy a wood counter I’d love a kitchen with it everywhere.

  • 3 years ago

    Beth- I love your hood alternatives! I especially love the wood at the base of the white. do you think that I could wrap my current hood with a wood frame or would that just be asking for trouble with moisture getting underneath? I think changing the hardware and pendants to a warm tone would make a big difference. And if the hood were white and wood the metals would be less predominent.


    Do you think a brass and glass would be best, or might something like this work?



    I think starting with those changes and honing the counter will at least be a start and I can see how it feels.



  • 3 years ago

    I got a tile sample and it made me think of another question—

    would it look better to have a beige island and a green backsplash, or a green island with a light backsplash? Example of green tile….




    the green paint next to the tile that is there is the color I was thinking about for the island if I paint it and keep a light backsplash. I’m a little concerned that this tile sample may be a green that has too much blue in it.


    If I did wood open shelving in the color of the wood counter it would look nice on the green tile. I had open shelving in my last home that loved, but it was on either side of the sink. I’m a little worried that being next to the stove would make them constanly greasy.

  • 3 years ago

    I also still haven’t purchased counter stools, so making those a warm wood might help as well.

  • 3 years ago

    Oh and I just want to let everyone know that we have lived here for four months, so this is not a knee jerk reaction. I am giving it more time before I do anything however. The part that still needs to be unpacked is just the rest of our book collection that is waiting for the shelves to be in!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Ok, so, the hood question. Yes, you could have one made (you'll need to buy a vent hood insert (they are a few inches smaller) and have the hood built around it.


    This is what I did to mine


    You can see the insert portion in the top pic.

    I went to the lumber yard and bought a 7", 3/4" thick piece of walnut. Cut it to fit


    It is literally fitted over the wood lower trim portion. I applied a few coats of a good satin sealer. no issue w/moisture. I clean it w/a scrubby brush and Dawn!

    I used the same wood to trim out my window. I do all my own finishing work.


    as well as using it for my coffee bar shelves. To buy the wood and make these myself, the cost was $45.


    The lights. Yes, I like those. change your other hardware to the same gold finish




    Cosmas or Koofizo on amazon will get you these



    Tile. To paint the island is going to be many thousands. (to do it correctly) The blue is nice, so why not stick w/that? Instead of the pale green picket, why not do a pale blue?


    This is the Renzo tile. comes in that Jade color, or this soft blue


    https://www.wayfair.com/MSI--Renzo-2.5-x-13-Glossy-Ceramic-Picket-Wall-Tile-WAYNREN3X13-

    they have a subway too

    https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/msi-renzo-3-x-12-ceramic-wall-tile-mvp11521.html?&experiencetype=2&selectedvertical=5





    If you must have green, go w/Halcyon Green (SW)






    or something sage-ish like this one. (this color has more yellow to it)


    and this color tile


    or you could stay w/the white tile, but behind the stove area pick an accent tile.

    You also need to properly case those door openings (trim work) for a finished look.


    diff ways to do it






    If you're going to redo that stove area (tile too) then I would seriously consider making that doorway to the right smaller, giving your more stove area width. Plus, the two doors should match 'somewhat'



    Even if you did the door this size, it's still large enough, but smaller enough to work w/the doorway on the left. Plus, you could do some shelving around your hood.


    BTW, here's a marble island. this is how to properly 'dress it up!"




    add some more warmth to the countertop w/wood cutting boards and accessories like these


    Hope this helps

    ktj459 thanked Beth H. :
  • 3 years ago

    I added a few more pics of picket tile to the last comment. don't know if you saw those

    ktj459 thanked Beth H. :
  • 3 years ago

    If it were my home and I was going to go to the expense of replacing the countertops, hood and backsplash, I would close off part of the wide doorway, have the hood centered between the two pendant lights, add another cabinet on either side of the cooktop and get some additional counter space on either side of the cooktop.


    You haven't lived there long enough to know, but I know how I cook and I need more counter space near the stove and don't see a lot of reason why that room behind the kitchen needs such a large opening.


    ktj459 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 3 years ago

    Not the greatest mockup- but gives you a visual




    ktj459 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 3 years ago

    The green tile sample that you have is very pretty—- i prefer that to the paint sample.

    ktj459 thanked lisaam
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Have it refinished, then use More Anti-Etch. It won't etch anymore. That will cost you about as much as replacement, but you'll have kept the top out of the landfill and assuage your guilt.

    ktj459 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    live with all of it a minimum of six months to a year.

    That's very good advice. I also agree with having a solid plan FOR THE WHOLE THING before you make any moves.

    Mrs Pete- you hit the nail on the head. What I hate about it is that it looks dirty constantly.

    Glad you agree ... I didn't want to be offensive, and I don't believe for a minute is actually IS dirty!

    Don't kid yourself--it's not getting recycled or reused by anyone else.
    Disagree. Marble is "the thing" these days, and this is a typical size.

    My favorite part of the kitchen is the run with the ikea butcher block. It looks suited to the house

    I like that part best too.

    One last thought: Are those pendant lights hung a bit too high?

    ktj459 thanked Mrs Pete
  • 3 years ago

    Yes i think the pendants are, though I'm not sure what the height technically should be. Maybe to shed light on a wider space they hung it higher? I didn't get anything to make them any longer with the house purchase, so if they did come with something to lengthen it further, I don't have it available. I do think that’ll be one of the first things I change, as I think the sheen of cool-toned metal might be a large part of why the whole of it looks cold to me. Changing the lights and figuring out the hood would do a lot to soften it.


    I’ve begun to collect pictures and ideas, and samples will follow. I’ll definitely try to be patient and get an entire picture in my mind before I change anything. I’m sure I’ll be back on advice for all of that! A lot of pictures of honed marble look very nice in their kitchens when they have more warm and worn finishes around them, so I’m hopeful that the marble may work if I tweak other things in the space. I still love the Taj, but if I can’t get that lovely cream anymore then it’s not really my dream countertop anyway.

  • 3 years ago

    Also, how high above a range is the range hood generally? My last house was an under cabinet on lower ceilings, so this one seems quite high to me. I’m not sure which height would best capture steam, grease, etc etc.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    The height of the range hood is usually specified by the manufacturer in the installation instructions. Do you have them? If not, look online on the manufacturer's website.

    ktj459 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Most are going to say, 30", or 33", and a MAXIMUM of 36 inches above the cooking surface.

    Fact is, most people don't use a fan effectively- meaning you really MUST begin venting, well before you begin to cook, and leave it running for fifteen minutes after......

    That's the only way to get humidity, odors and grease out of the kitchen. Use back burners whenever possible: )

    ktj459 thanked JAN MOYER
  • 3 years ago

    Getting the marble looking better so you can tolerate for a while longer is a great idea. @Beth H gave you very specific suggestions to warm up the place. Warm gold or brushed brass hardware is a great change (and not uber-expensive). What about wicker pendants over the island? If you add a strip of medium to light wood on the vent hood, that combination would work.

    Personally, I love the green idea. If you plan to keep the kitchen basically the same, it would be worth a quote to find out the cost of painting the island green. Maybe someone with more talent can mock up the idea of a warm green island - the color Beth suggested.

    Redoing all the tile on the back wall seems like a really big mess and expense, so wood shelves there also adds warmth to the “coldest” part of the current design.

    Lots of good ideas here.

    ktj459 thanked RedRyder
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    You can still find some of the creamy swirly Taj Mahal, but you need to develop a relationship with a couple of local stone yards so they let you know if they get any. When those slabs show up, they sell quickly.

    When I remodeled my previous kitchen I found the perfect TM slabs ... problem was the lot of 8 slabs was all marked as ON HOLD. It just means that designers/builders will put slabs on hold for future projects, but not necessarily end up buying them. I told the sales guy I would pay cash for 3 slabs today. He asked that I give him 24 hours to follow up with that builder/designer. Next day the slabs were mine. Slab yards need to sell and move product, so although they will hold slabs for designers/builders, they aren't going to hold inventory in limbo for too long!

    In my current kitchen, different area/state, we built during covid, so slab yards had limited inventory and no clue when any more would come in. I searched every single slab yard in the area. Finally found 3 creamy TM slabs at some out of the way, less known stone yard. Called my builder and told him to buy them today! They were held at the fabricator for nearly a year till we were ready for them to be installed.

    ktj459 thanked chispa
  • 3 years ago

    Chisp— thanks for the suggestion! i had found some at MSI near me about six months ago when I thought we were going to build, and it was the perfect cream. I should check that out again. I’m also going to price out refinishing the marble and using one of anti-etch sealers suggested. If the price isn’t really any different, and I can find the cream Taj, it is likely the best choice.

  • 3 years ago

    Same problem here. moved into my house last year, bath had been remodeled by prevous owner a few years earlier, very high end, HOWEVER, it has along double vanity in marble. It’s etched. I hired someone to refinish & seal it, not much improvement unfortunately. I hate it.

    ktj459 thanked K Laurence
  • 3 years ago

    K Laurence- did they refinish it to a polish or a more honed finish? I’m hoping the etching on a honed surface would be less obvious, but if I’m going to be looking at rings from water glasses a week after it’s done I’ll be miserable.

  • 3 years ago

    They attempted to restore it to it’s original polished look, poor results. Waste of money. Perhaps I should have thought about having it honed. I’ll ask a stone restorer company. I’m like you, I really dislike the etching, I know some are okay with it but I’m too OCD for it.

    ktj459 thanked K Laurence
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I doubt whether it would be the same cost to remove the marble and replace it with Taj as it would be to refinish it with one of the anti-etch products. We were quoted about $2,000 a few years back by Clearstone. New counter tops would probably be 5x that amount.

    As far as using the anti-etch products, they all need to be professionally done by a certified rep. And they usually warrantee against etchings for a number of years. If you just refinish it and seal it, you don't avoid future etching.

  • 3 years ago

    Here are two "blank slates": lights gone, wall extended, tile removed...




    ktj459 thanked Jean
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Some ideas...






    ktj459 thanked Jean
  • 3 years ago

    Some low cost suggestions: Paint the island a warm green, take down the pendants and replace with wicker, paint over the glossy tile backsplash to tone it down. Get some interesting wooden cutting boards to set on the marble. Paint the French door black. This will cut the sterile look of the kitchen.

    ktj459 thanked Amanda Smith
  • 3 years ago

    Decreasing the opening into the room to the right of the stove makes the stove wall look off kilter. All of those mock ups look like dated “before” photos. You should also consider the effect that narrowing the opening will have on the room behind the kitchen.

    Beth H has some lovely tile and paint options.

    ktj459 thanked jodyrah
  • 3 years ago

    Agree with jodyrah that narrowing the doorway uncenters the cooktop and throws the wall off balance, unless you add full height pantry cabinetry there

    ktj459 thanked marylut
  • 3 years ago

    Kitchens are used multiple times a day and you don’t need that aggravation so get your dream counter and sell the marble remnant to an architectural salvage yard.

    ktj459 thanked marylut
  • 3 years ago

    First thing I would buy is paint for those pendants.


    ktj459 thanked Mary Iverson
  • 3 years ago

    I would not paint the back wall of tiles. Add some wood shelving before doing that.

    A soft sage green was what I had envisioned for the island. @Jean gave you a wonderful blank image to play with.

    ktj459 thanked RedRyder
  • 3 years ago

    I really think you can work with this kitchen to make it more farmhouse. I would take down those pendants ASAP. They are very industrial looking and not attractive. They are throwing off the whole look of your kitchen.

    ktj459 thanked Amanda Smith
  • 3 years ago

    Look at these from Home Depot. Great price! These will tie in with your farmhouse table and immediately give you a more organic look.


    ktj459 thanked Amanda Smith
  • 3 years ago

    Amanda- I really like the look of those but am a little worried about cleaning them. I’ve never had a wicker/seagrass before, do you think it will hold up if there is any grease that goes that way, or that it could be cleaned well?

  • 3 years ago

    I don’t think cleaning them will be an issue. They are pretty far from your stove.

    ktj459 thanked Amanda Smith
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    selling that marble slab is a nice thought, but if they used adhesive to glue it down, you'll never get that thing up in one piece. marble is like chalk. if you use a prybar to lift it, its prob going to break. Heck, I couldn't even get my granite up in one piece without breaking.

    As for the tile, you don't have that much of it. Redo the doorways so they match a bit better, get new tile. if you demo yourself, it won't cost that much. Or, see if you can get the same tile.


    And please, case out the doorways for a finished look.

    The marble slab can be refinished w/a protectant on it. it won't give you carte blanche, but it will buy you a little time. put cutting boards down in the work area.

    Or, get the worst part removed and replaced w/butcher block








    ktj459 thanked Beth H. :
  • 3 years ago

    I started to get some quotes for anti-etch products and what I’m being told is that it is around $100 a square just for the anti-etch, not including the refinish of the stone that needs to be done first. Does that seem typical? I have 78 sq ft of stone, so spending that seems insane to me. It doesn’t seem that getting a different surface would be that much more costly. Am I wrong in thinking that a quartzite purchase and install would not be that much more at that point? And that anti-etch only lasts about ten years. I was hoping refinish and protect would be significantly less.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I can't speak about that particular one, but when I bought my marble it was sealed w/their factory sealer w/no etch and no staining (Antolini-azerocare)

    This is what the sales rep demonstrated


    The one above did etch (you can see a few of the spots)

    This treated one did not:



    Here's my Calacatta slab right after install. it is polished (which will hold up a bit better BUT will show etch marks more than honed)


    Here it is now. over by the cutting board has the etching (no staining though. In that respect the sealer has been great) My son is very careless w/acidic foods, so on either side of the board is where I have spots of etching. you really can't see it.


    100 bucks a sq foot?? sheesh. is it guaranteed? supposedly this was too.

    what does it look like when done? have you seen it in person?

    I've noticed that scratching is more visible w/this sealer. its almost like a coating, so fine scratches will show up more.

    Seems like for another few thousand you could get an all new countertop.