Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francesca_loudon

updating fireplace

Ac Lb
last year

We're updating our fireplace area. We're planning on painting the shelves and beam white, replacing tile with stacked stone and replacing existing mantle and surround. We're considering either adding a chunky, rustic mantle or replacing mantle with an updated white one. What do you recommend? Also what should I replace the existing hearth with? One large piece of stone or hardwood?

Comments (7)

• palimpsest
    last year

I don't think a rustic beam mantle is consistent with the other traditional details of the room. Are the shelves being completely removed?

• nelliebean
    last year

I see the look you're going for, but I quite like the beam and the shelves the way they are. They add interest to the room.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your input

• Mrs. Beasley
    last year

I’d paint the shelves, not the beam.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year
    last modified: last year

The dark shelves seem very heavy and I see why you are thinking of painting them. If you do, why don’t you paint them the color of the walls? My preference, though, would be to find another place in the room/your home for them. And the tv, too.

• Kate
    last year

If they aren’t built in I would move them to another room. Also, you might want to scoot your furniture a bit closer so at least all the front legs are on the rug.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last year

Unfortunately, I cannot get rid of them or move the. To another place in our home. I'll definitely look into having them go up to the ceiling to mimic built ins.