Software
Houzz Logo Print
herdertg

Backsplash suggestions

3 years ago

We re close to the finish line on our kitchen renovation with a few cabinet fronts to come in, and a tiny bit of electrical to finish up. Now it’s time to start backsplash hunting. I am anxious about choosing the right thing. I don’t want a lot of color or a noisy pattern. A neutral gray or taupe would be fine though. Or should I keep it all white? Cabinets are SW Alabaster. Countertops are HanStone Montauk quartz. We will not be changing the wall color visible in one of the photos.

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Sorry but why let the wall color drive the bus. I think now choose a color from the counter for BS and do matching grout . Wall color for me is always the last thing to choose

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    You counter is so bland (not a bad thing...) you need to jazz up the space with something interesting. If you're afraid of color, consider a grey tile that coordinates with the gray in the counter, maybe in a snazzy shape.

    But do consider a soft color -- your space desperately needs it. What about a soft blue or green?









    Here's a grey:



    ETA: I agree with Patricia -- wall color shouldn't dictate fixed element choices, the wall color is the easiest, (by far) least expensive least expensive thing to change, and should come after everything else to tie the whole picture together. Don't box yourself in by being married to a wall color. That said, the right tone of a soft blue or green tile will work with your wall color, it's just a matter of sampling and finding the right one. Fireclay tile has some beautiful colors to consider, and you can order samples inexpensively.

  • 3 years ago

    Your kitchen looks beautiful! We recently finished remodeling our kitchen with a similar palette, and chose Cloe tile in white for our backsplash. The white color actually has tiles with 4-5 soft shades of white, off white and light gray. It Cole’s in 5” square tiles or 2.5” x 8” which is the more widely used format. Our kitchen is small with not much space between the countertop and the bottom of the upper cabinet, and I felt using the larger square tiles would look less choppy in our space, visually. It’s neutral, perhaps a little boring, but has been a great backdrop for more interesting tools and accessories. I do like your wall color, and if you love it, keep it! Cloe comes in other colors as well.

  • 3 years ago

    Pic of one area…

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I agree with the soft blue suggestion. I think it will work better with the gray veining in your counters than the green. Or, just do the backsplash in the same quartz material as your counters.

  • 3 years ago

    I would pick a classic white subway tile and a grout colour that you can pull from the countertop. I can't tell if it's taupe or gray.

  • 3 years ago

    Overall space

  • 3 years ago

    I actually love my wall color thus not changing it! I do like that Cloe tile with varying shades of white. I was thinking when I accessorize I could use color too. I’m excited to go shopping and see what the tile experts suggest and how it aligns with varying opinions here. Thank you for the suggestions. Great food for thought!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I like Susanne’s suggestion. Pretty sure this is also Cloe.



  • 3 years ago

    I like your current wall color with the montauk countertop. Warms it up nicely, I def would not change it. This might be too wild but.. I feel like it might look nice with your wall and the tops. (?) Calacatta Gold Marble Leaf Shape Medi Mosaic Tile Honed


    It also comes in a more tonal grey/less taupey palette as well.

  • 3 years ago

    Let’s hark back a few decades. A picture is with a thousand words.

  • 3 years ago

    ^worth not “with” 🙄

  • 3 years ago

    I was a Tanya Harding fan……


  • 3 years ago

    Really? She was all strength and no elegance. Figure skaters need both, which Nancy definitely had. (Let’s not forget about the tendency of Tonya and her friends to bash in the knees of her opponents.) But to return to the issue of color: Tonya’s dress and styling was a tacky mess. Nancy’s pure and simple neutral dress does not “desperately need” color. Vera Wang designed that dress for her and I don’t think Vera Wang is “afraid of color” — color just wasn’t part of this particular vision and aesthetic. Just like the vision that many people have for their homes.

  • 3 years ago

    vera wang did many colors.

    and nancy wore many other colors




    nothing wrong w/a pale blue. it's always classy




    Anyway TJ, I could show you a hundred diff possibilities. What direction are you leaning?

    Similar to Cloe is the Portmore. (Tilebar has 5 samples for $5. check out this brand over there and order a few)


    If you look under IvyHill on wayfair or home deport, they carry that Portmore under the name of Kingston:


    You can compare prices. Same Product.

    comes in this gray color too.




    grab one of the Nabi Jewel samples too. comes in many colors, here is the blue


    And the white


    Nabi Harlequin:


    Montauk Gin



    and just some white marble basketweave that is so pretty w/the right decor accents


    I really like this marble chevron w/the 3 diff finishes (honed polished and brushed)


  • 3 years ago

    I have no advice because I'm sure I will be here in a couple months asking same the question! Love the choices you've made so far. I agree that the BS doesn't need to have a pop of color in your space. You can accessorize with color.


    @Susanne Woolley Your kitchen looks great! Cloe is in the running for our BS. Where did you get that adorable stand next to your coffee maker? Love it!

  • 3 years ago

    I like the two marble suggestions above. The basketweave would look gorgeous in your kitchen.

    An interesting shape (herringbone, arabesque, textured) adds a lot to a neutral space. Tile Bar has a ton of great ideas, Chloe is a good option, and you can also shop at local places if you have any.

    Do the colored tiles appeal to you or do you like your neutral, calm design? There is no wrong answer.

  • 3 years ago

    I was in this same situation a month ago and with the help of these fine folks on Houzz, I picked the Chloe subway tile for my brothers kitchen. It’s beautiful. Good luck!

  • 3 years ago

    I love how discussions on Houzz often digress, with great insight, into other design areas. Including figure skating costumes. Vera Wang’s? Sublime design. And functional, too. She and her sister were both figure skaters. So function came first. Then…wow.

  • 3 years ago

    Beth, do you have a source for the marble basketweave you showed?


    Nicole

  • 3 years ago

    More-


  • 3 years ago

    @Lynn Lou I found the stand at Kirkland’s last year. I like that it holds a few accessories without encroaching too far out on the countertop. It was under $30, yahoo!!!

  • 3 years ago

    What Beth H. said — “Vera Wang did many colors”— proving my point that she isn’t “afraid of color.” As I said, color just wasn’t part of her particular vision and aesthetic for that dress. And Beth’s neutral tile examples are as usual gorgeous, with multiple textures and finishes that add dimension and interest — showing no “fear of” or “desperate need for” color.

    And what RedRyder said: “Do the colored tiles appeal to you or do you like a neutral, calm design? There is no wrong answer.” If only the many Houzzers who jump immediately to accusations that neutral-lovers are “afraid” and their rooms are “desperate” would realize this and just stop.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    for subtle color, you could also look at the thassos marble and celeste blue marble elongated basketweave sheet


    tilebar has this one, or IvyHill at home depot also carries it.


    another thassos marble. it's a beautiful pure white marble




    nicoletouk- any good stone/tile place should carry it. they come in all diff types of marble.

    this one is thassos and calacatta marble


    I did the nero marquino in my bathroom.