Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

Anyone else buying hostas yet???

I am ashamed to say I have already purchased 20!! This year the alphabet ran me amuck….. here’s what I bought: Punky, Teaspoon, Wylde Green Cream, Night Shift, Winter Snow, Ani Machi, Squash Cassarole, Gabriel’s Wing, Tenryu, Heart and Soul, June (mine reverted), First Frost, Parisian Silk, Hope Springs Eternal, High Society, Awakening Angel, Jack of Diamonds, Silver Bay, Little Treasure and the AHS hosta. Many of these are for the sun bed. Has anyone else been as bad as me???

debra

Comments (17)

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

debra - That's quite a haul, don't be ashamed, I would be quite proud! Curious, were you able to get all of them from the same vendor? In the past I've had difficulty getting all the varieties I wanted from the same vendor and had to add shipping for small amounts from each

The past few years I have only added a few each year and them I bought from local nurseries when I see some that caught my attention.

Last year I dug up a large bed of daylilies and now intend to put in several assorted hostas so I will need to do some shopping.

Below is the bed of daylilies (now gone). I'm thinking to do the center mounded hugelkultur with a specimen dwarf tree and the outer edge of all the same, possibly June and some taller vase shaped behind them....What ya thunk?

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked old_dirt 6a
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

old dirt, that’s a lot of room! Did you get bored of the daylilies? I think your plan sounds great-which of the larger, vase-shaped ones are you thinking about?

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • bkay2000
    last year

Yes, I went wild back in December. Some were related to the alphabet, others are either old ones I had previously or ones I've always wanted.

I decided to try Green Mountain one more time, as I've had really good luck more often than not. I bought Summer Breeze, Lakeside Shore Master, Paul's Glory, Paradigm, Sweet Innocence, and Cathedral Windows.

Where I really went overboard was with Seabright Gardens. I looked up Tony Avent's list of hosta before I "sent" my order. I ended up adding several more. I bought Regal Supreme, Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Queen of the Seas, Blue Mouse Ears, Krossa Regal, Irish Luck, Lakeside Midnight Miss, Lakeside Ripples, Blazing Saddles, Elvis Lives, Risky Business, Holy Mole and and Electrocution.

I hope my brown thumb has healed.

bkay

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked bkay2000
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    last year

Old_dirt, I was able to buy most hostas from Hornbakers but Parisian Silk and Jack of Diamonds came from other vendors…..can’t recall.

I love your idea about taking out the daylilies….be ready, they are tough to get out! I think an ornamental tree under planted with Vase hostas and Junes is lovely!

bkay, I am so glad you have matched me in purchases! We must share them when they arrive.

debra

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year
    last modified: last year

Debra what a great haul. No shame in getting a bunch of beauties and I am sure you had fun doing it!

old_dirt that sounds like a plan!

bkay I do wish you success with your lovely purchases.

Debra I am a slacker compared to you & bkay. I have so many I am already holding waiting for spots but nevertheless I did order:

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Ki-ren-jyaku

Lipstick Blonde

Paisley Border

Party Streamers

Wind Beneath My Wings

• Ben D (zone 7b)
    last year

I placed an order back in January for shipment in May. I can't find a record of what I ordered though (oops!). Pretty sure it was a half dozen or so, including Goodness Gracious and Hans. Can't remember what else.

• bkay2000
    last year

I just got a shipping notification from Seabright. I should have new hosta soon. (Our average last killing frost is March 15.)

bkay

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last year

I bought Miss America from Plant Delights last weekend.

• erin W
    last year

I ordered from new Hampshire hosta and hosta store... So far I have resisted the temptation of adding more. I don't know where I will be putting them but I guess I'll figure it out.

Lime smoothie

Angel feathers

Fair maiden

When I dream

Blue jeans bling

Wild imagination

Feather boa

Midnight oil

Sharp dressed man

Terms of endearment

Seasons in the sun

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last year

I am coming to the point that I really need to think what is that I want and should have. Now that I have space it is pretty hard to say how much hostas I am willing to take care of. We did end up with house that is larger than we wanted and besides remodeling projects there is house maintenance thing which takes time. Add to it fairly substantial veggie garden and perennial borders...Getting near retirement feels interesting.

Does not mean I do not want any new eye candy I see coming out... but gotta stop somewhere.

So am making executive decision to mainly stick with my Lakeside collection which I love, any new Dan Wols intros, replacements if there are any and something I really can not be without.

I am hoping my losses will not be big this spring, my drainage system worked mostly very well with 1 spot exception which I will need to correct.

Still I had to order

Marshmallow Sky, I did get one from Fran who took care of Gary remaining biz so it came from Gary as as the one I lost but now am ordering second one just to be sure.

Golden falls- love it and it is Hosta makers creation

Superfecta

effervescence

Elfin princess

Phoenix feathers, AHS convention hosta from MN

Big Red

all above creations of Dan.

Lakeside Cupid cup

Lakeside Whizzit

Lakeside Grumpy green

Also Han Hansen releases are pretty spectacular, so Trendsetter and Voices in the wind are on the list as well.

My expectation is to go to Bob Fox farm and get couple of his Lakesides as well as replacement of Celebration of Angels by Doug Beilstein that I lost.

Then plant several hundreds of my streakers for evaluation.

Whew

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    last year

Peren, that’s quite a few for you considering you have so many already!I will have to look them up!

Ben, you’re so funny……I have to remember to print the invoice and put it in a file.☺️

Old_dirt, I found Punky and Teaspoon from the Hosta Store, Jack of Diamonds from Seabright Gardens and Parisian Silk from NH hostas. I really wanted those so looked outside of Hornbakers (my fav) because they sell gallon sized hostas.

UTOG, Miss America is gorgeous!

Erin, you have quite a few as well….. I have some ideas about what’s going to go where, but I really can’t know until I get them in May. We can have snow as late as mid-April although it’s not the norm. However, two years ago we had a couple days of late frost when the hostas were leafing out.

I will have to look up all the hostas here that I don’t know!!

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    last year

Lindalana, we were posting at the same time….. I have to say to you ==>> is that all? Lol lol lol 😂

debra

• bkay2000
    last year

Seabright Gardens order arrived today.. My first from them. Shipping was expensive. Plants look good - still pipping - about 2 fat pips per plant.

Edited to add: Nice root systems!

bkay

• miles10612
    last year

Wow, so many purchases already! I got some ordered from the club which offered a group which Solberg has available-some for clubs only. I got Trophy Wife and Effervescense. Bkay2000--Sebright is my favorite shipper. I always get very healthy plants with strong root systems and the shipping is simply so much better than everyone else. Even when it's hot outside, the plants arrive in perfect condition and never look wilted. It's pricey but I think it's better to pay more than get a bunch of plants that are smashed or crushed.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked miles10612
  • miles10612
    last year

River Bend Hostas? Anyone order hostas from River Bend in Tennessee? I saw that they had some of Jeff Miller's hostas for sale and wondered if anyone had ordering experiences with them?

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked miles10612
  • Jeremy Walsh
    last year

I have Sir Prize coming from Mason Hollow, The Queen and Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled from In the Country, and Holar Early Days from Hollywood Bob's. Excited to get them!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Jeremy Walsh