Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntannie123

Help decorating this living room

auntannie123
last year
last modified: last year

Hi . Im looking for help decorating this living room . Im wanting a color scheme of cream and black with touches of cognac or another shade of brown and a touch of green . I know it needs updated but I will be using the furniture I currently have . I am open to taking out the love seat if needed .

Ive been looking for a new area rug but not sure of the color.

Thanks for your help !

Comments (1.8K)

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you dsimber . I havent decided on the stands yet . I thought it would be easier to find a suitable mirror then the stands . I think these last mirrors are beautiful but feeling like when i look in the room all i see is traditional , even though only the fireplace and mirrors are the only traditional pieces right now .

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I'm leaning towards a stand so it will look more open . Could be 3 legged demi lune (with no bottom shelf ) or 4 legged stand . Not much detail if the mirror will have lots of detail…. so many decisions change with what mirror i get

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

Are you going to do the bar height table behind sofa? If so, the mirrors need to be bigger and taller and you won’t need tables under the mirrors. You need either a live plant or a great faux plant. Not the one you have. It’s these details that will make your room. Look at my last mock up.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    8 months ago

But have to say I still don't see what most of you all are seeing as far as the first mirror being so wrong . Im not trying to be difficult but I like it , wish it had a darker frame but I like that its simple and can be ”dressed up” with lamp and stands

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

Look at how this is composed. A pair of taller, mirrors mimic window.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

I can do a mock up if you give me two pictures. One with just the sofa. Then one with sofa and chairs.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

Mirrors that would work.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Ok If I wouldn't use stands under the mirrors , would i still use stands under the Art on the entrance wall or not ?

How big would these mirrors need to be ? and just being honest I have never been a fan of window pane type mirrors

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    8 months ago

If I used mirrors and stands i would not use a console table .

• kl23
    8 months ago

Would not have console table with mirrors and stands even if on opposite sides of room? Then  ask yourself which would be most useful to you. By all means, don't get furniture with no use.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    8 months ago

KL - I mean if I used stands on the sofa wall then I would not use a sofa table too .

Yes I could use tables and mirrors on the opposite wall but then I would have me using Art on the sofa wall

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

Ok back to the drawing board. I have a feeling cost of items is your #1 priority and it is clouding your process. They way I work is to establish an upfront goal budget. That way I can allocate the most money to most important objects and stretch on other lesser items. While I have been trying to support your daily swings, I am dizzy. So, I figure this. You back of sofa is critical. That creates depth and dimension. Get that bar height table and a lamp for it. Start there. I would do a beefy floor lap on bay window end of sofa. Now the wall with the single window behind sofa is next most important. Just do decorative items on each side of drapery. Interesting but fairly quiet. It’s background to seating arrangement. I don’t think you will spend money on a lifelike plant so forget that. Put cabinets with art above them on entry inside wall of room same on each side. That will reflect in mirrors on opposite wall if you do mirrors there. You don’t need more furniture other than the table behind sofa in that section of the room. I feel like I am beating my head against the wall. That’s my plan. If I have time I will try to work up some boards to help you visualize this but day is full right now.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    8 months ago

LOL Thank you Flo . Dont worry about trying to figure this out for me . Im not trying to drive you crazy 🙂

I do try to keep my cost down and I think thats ok . I look at money but first I have to like the item . I don't have an unlimited budget and I am pretty good at finding a similar item to what you recommend.

Im sorry if you all feel like I've wasted your time . I feel great about what has been done . I am loving the new paint and furniture .I appreciate the help from everyone ! Im not trying to achieve a Houzz room as KL suggested LOL - no way girl - just a room that I feel good about . Thanks for the help ! I will keep moving forward and get this room finished .

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 months ago

I am not questioning a focus on budget, just the process of getting a cohesive room. I have worked with very tight budgets and very generous budgets. It’s all relative. It’s good you find items you like, but not every item we “like” will fit into the ultimate final result. I volunteer my time free here because I love helping people get a great look regardless of their circumstances. I was drawn to your dilemma because it looked like a great project. Hoping to still be of help and hoping you can appreciate the efforts being made by all contributors here. Good people all!

auntannie123 thanked Flo Mangan
  • auntannie123
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I absolutely appreciate everyones effort ! Thanks so much for helping me get to where I am . It might have taken me awhile but I love the changes so far!

I think Im gonna take a break from houzz and sort through what I really like and want . I may drop back in and show you the end result . Thanks again 😀

• dsimber
    8 months ago

Annie, as a Houzzer who takes much, much longer to make decisions, I ask that you take a break and come back refreshed. This is hard work. With guidance from Flo, Julie and others, you have made some great decisions. I think now is the time to trust that they will lead you forward when you are ready, and you will be pleased with the success of combining two styles to make your cherished fireplace work with your desire for straight lines such as you found in your sofa. My own process was slowed by fear of regretting a choice, but I'm getting there! I almost made the wrong choice more than once, and I'm so glad I waited for it all to come together. I wish for that for you, too.

auntannie123 thanked dsimber
  • auntannie123
    Original Author
    8 months ago

daimber Thanks ! Im glad Im not the only one who has that struggle

• Amanda Smith
    8 months ago

I hope you come back to Houzz for opinions from posters, especially the pros. I appreciated all the opinions when I was re-doing my living room. I didn’t incorporate all of them, obviously, just tried things out. I am happy I did.

• kl23
    5 months ago

@auntannie123 how is the project coming? Care to show pictures?

• Alice Edwards
    5 months ago

I’ve been curious my self how things were going in your camp. About to make some changes to our living room and it’s not easy! You came a long way and I’m sure it’s looking great!

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Hi ! Thanks for checking in on me :) I still have things to add , possibly green curtains , pillows for chairs . I want it to feel cozier than it does . I haven’t been actively looking but I’ve got the desire to finish this room up .

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Hi ! Thanks for checking in on me :) I still need to add a couple of things . Possibly green curtains and better pillows for chairs . I want it to feel cozier than it does . I haven’t been actively looking but I’ve got the desire to finish up .

• happyleg
    5 months ago

That looks nice it's getting Cozier yes too possible green curtains or the blue in the art

• kl23
    5 months ago

@auntannie123 it looks nice! Good job!

auntannie123 thanked kl23
  • Alice Edwards
    5 months ago

Really looks so nice! Room
    Looks great!

auntannie123 thanked Alice Edwards
  • Alice Edwards
    5 months ago

I’m guessing I could scroll back but lol, please post again the size of your sofa and color. I’ve been shopping and is it comfortable?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Auntie! Looking good! I think the monochromatic look is working for you. Might just add trim with black design or green to leading edges of drapery. Keep look open and add textures for warmth. Maybe some wood accents of small nature.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks everyone ! It’s coming along . Trying to scatter these colors into the kitchen and dining room too .
    Flo - Good idea , I might just check out trim first .

Alice I am pleased with the sofa . It is firm - but I like a firm sofa . I was pleased because it was not this firm in the store when I looked at it there . I do wish it sat a little lower to the floor but would buy it again . My toes touch but not my whole foot . I’m short though at 5’3”
    I bought it in Ivory

• Alice Edwards
    5 months ago

Thank you auntannie123, very helpful! Perfect informative review :), i’m almost 5’2”, short seats do make a difference.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    5 months ago

Hi Auntannie123! have been thinking about you! room looks so nice..and it is already looking cozy…

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Flo - oh wow this might be my answer . I see trim i like . I didn’t realize the difference just adding that could make.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

I think that’s all you need and keep drapery. Nice small touch is enough. 😊

• happyleg
    5 months ago

If you going to add the trim keep the drapery the color of the wall as close as you can cuz it's going to look great that way if that's the way you want to go

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Y’all think black white trim or something else ?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

You need background on trim similar to drapery color then you can use black design, gold, or forms of olive greens. Also depends on budget. Black would work well because it speaks to the other blacks in your room. I would see what you like with ivory and black designs.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

I think a softer look with creams and taupe or beige would look very nice too. Like that middle one in picture.

• salonva
    5 months ago

I just started browsing your thread here, not sure how I missed it all along. I LOVE the chairs you got. Where/what are they?

and I so related to all your second guessing--- you sounded just like me.

anyway your room is looking great.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Flo - I do like the trims with beige and taupes .

Salonva Im glad I’m not alone on making decisions lol . I buy a lot and return a lot until I find what works lol .
    Those chairs came from Kirklands . I’ll post information below . I went in the store and found a deal . With the sale and coupons I had I got them both for half off . I’ll post Information below

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

• Amanda Smith
    5 months ago

Wow! Your room looks great! Thanks for posting photos and info on furniture. Great prices on all!

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Amanda - thank you ! I’m a careful shopper - most of the time LOL

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Home interiors with Ease - Im just seeing your post and what a surprise ! You are able to post here now 😊.

I’ve slowed down a little but it’s coming along .

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    5 months ago

Yes I can post I had to delete my original account! lost so much..all my photos and reviews all my followers!

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

HIWE - What ?! That’s awful ! What a pain

• njmomma
    5 months ago

Julie….. I see all your projects, reviews, awards etc.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    5 months ago

Njmomma really? does it have all my reviews? my photo with my grey hair and black glasses?

• njmomma
    5 months ago

Yes!
    I went under my profile to people I follow, click on your name and everything comes up. Even your photo with gray hair and your black glasses 😁

• njmomma
    5 months ago

Here

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I found this pillow that I really love . It’s mostly greens , variations of browns , and cream . Can I make it work in the room with the black and whites ? Probably wouldn’t fit good with black and white pillows close by and what about the black and white art on each side of the doorway ?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida