Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwdebord

Rococo Style Mirrors/Light Fixture Choice

Carrie DeBord
last year

Purchased 2 Restoration Hardware 55”x20.5” gilt mirrors for my master bathroom vanity (picture attached). The mirrors will be professionally installed in two weeks. I am taking a very slow approach to build a bathroom that “works” and feels “right”, a piece at a time. I want clean, crisp, minimal, old world elegance. I am struggling with vanity light ideas. The current construction fixtures are coming down and holes patched closed before mirrors are hung. I welcome any ideas.

before mirrors are installed. Any ideas, suggestions?

Comments (27)

• Paul F.
    last year
    last modified: last year

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

So wonderful to see this image vs whats been in my head, thank you! The million dollar question is 1 in the middle, 2 on the outside or 3. Sconces seem to be consistent with the Rococo period. Then I ponder finish, staying with gilt or something different, maybe a hanging crystal or two. Note, Carrera porcelain is the direction for tile floor, shower and vanity top.

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

Maybe a small chandelier is needed in the center of space … that might look nice.

• cpartist
    last year

one in the middle, and one on each side of the mirror.

Are you having a tub anywhere near the chandelier?

• cpartist
    last year

More importantly, it appears that the tile will butt up to the vanity instead of going under the vanity? Floor tile shoul have been laid down before the vanity was installed.

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

The vanity is original from time the house was built. I pulled out ALL the old tile myself so I could center the vanity in the space as it had been installed to a far side of the bathroom. And no tile was under the vanity. I have not secured it to the studs yet as I want the new tile laid underneath.

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

Front view

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

The vanity was a cherry stain so I stripped it down to bare wood and painted it High Reflective White to match the walls, ceiling and trim. My house is south facing with lots of south facing windows so I am managing out as much natural yellow undertones as possible. I contemplate a custom built vanity to fill in the side space but I am not convinced I want to do that. I rather use those $ resources for redoing the shower to curb-less and laying the new tile.

• Paul F.
    last year

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

That is a nice option to consider, thank you!

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

some sconces I am considering …

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

a few more that have caught my eye …

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

last one I have seen so far

• Paul F.
    last year

I think the white cabinet is too plain for all the glitz of rococo. Hopefully a pro will weigh in on your plans.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

If you want clean, I'd pick shaded sconces in a gold finish. Like these:

1 Light Gilded Gold Sconce with Acrylic accents and cylinder shade · More Info

Artcraft Rhythm 1 Light Sconce SC13337BG - Brushed Gold · More Info

Do three of them: one in between the two mirrors, and one on either side.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Just a thought, I noticed your door swings into the vanity. Maybe you could flip it so it swings the other way? as to lighting , if this is a master I would not do single pendants that only light one side of the face, I would do three sconces. linear, and yes a few tear drop crystals.

Crystorama and Savoy House even maxim lighting, would be to good lines to get ideas from. Gilded or gold leaf.

I do worry that you will crowed the mirrors with three, as I look at it more. Hmmm. Im having a hard time with the white builder vanity and the old world euro look.

• Paul F.
    last year

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

Paul … funny, I have been looking at millwork 😉

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

RLR … I have been considering pocket doors for a few doorways throughout the house due to good wall space thats blocked/wasted from a door and/or damage prone … can see where planning fell off the priority list 😏. And I too struggle with aspects of the construction provided vanity. I suspect in time it will be rehomed but for now, it stays as I live and experience each step. Its been quite a journey so far 😄. Thank you for your observations and input. Appreciated.

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

I am thinking it may be best to get the mirrors hung, actually see what the wall reality is, and then begin to fine tune what sort of sconce measurement I am dealing with … whether a hanging pendant is best and/or 2 very small diameter, inconspicuous can lights need to be considered. My gut is leaning towards a fairly narrow option, 3-5 inches wide, max. And to Paul’s image, the side walls are an option however if I do the curbless shower its most likely the left wall is being removed, unless I make a pony wall that reaches the ceiling … that has crossed my mind and where a niche could be made and a sconce. Options 😉.

Thank you all!!! So helpful 💝

• Jennifer
    last year

I think you need to decide on lighting before you install the mirrors. Electrical boxes can be moved but that work should take place before the mirrors are installed.

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

more options

• Paul F.
    last year

I think you need to identify the vanity style or look first. You could do a plain white lacquer wall mounted box and do transitional sconces to play down the rococo mirrors. Or be over the top gilt Versace-style medusa and lion heads. The vanity is going to set the style of the lighting selections in my opinion. You can try to keep what you have but it needs a big makeover.

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, Paul. I am toning it way down hence my initial post, “clean, minimal/simple with old world elegance”. I understand what you are saying about the vanity and this whole exercise is helping me get really clear on whats missing, whats needed and what does/will not work. I really appreciate your time, ideas and suggestions. Thank you.

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

I am loving everything about this look …

• Paul F.
    last year

I think its the flush look of the drawers and doors that your vanity can't deliver on. This is at Costco... sinks and counter included. In cabinet power and drawer dividers. Just change the hardware.

• Carrie DeBord
    Original Author
    last year

That makes a lot of sense and I see exactly what you are seeing. Thank you, Paul.