Software
Houzz Logo Print
natalie_clarke34

small kitchen help

3 years ago

We currently have a galley kitchen that we are opening up and building an island. We do not have much wall space to work with as there are 2 windows and a door in our kitchen that we need to work around. I cannot decide what to do about the range hood. I am looking for advice!


There is not actually a wall beside the cabinet beside the stove, it is there as a marker for me as this is the space I am working within. Do the uppers next to the range look odd as they will be slim as that is all there is room for?


In the second photo, the hood looks very low, I cannot seem to raise it in the pic....also our range is slide in, but that was not an option with this design planner tool.


Natalie's Ideas · More Info


Natalie's Ideas · More Info


Comments (15)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    If youre going to spend the money to do a kitchen, might as well do something with that window. Your kitchen can be funky and quirky because it's small. Consider apartment size appliances. Heres a super fast rendering I put together for it



  • 3 years ago

    I think microwave above stove should be illegal even though it seems to be a popular configuration lately. Taking hot items down from above is very dangerous even if you are tall, especially if stove is accidentally on as well.

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks for that picture. Unfortunately, cannot do anything about that window. Very tricky!

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    @Natalie Clarke I'll ask why not? The assumption is that there may be some misinformation surrounding it...HOA? Cost?



  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    do you have a picture of the current kitchen? it's easier to see the windows/doors



    just get a vent hood cover built to match your cabs. use an insert. that's what I did w/mine


  • 3 years ago

    I prefer the look and increased storage capacity of the one with the wall cabinet above the hood.

  • 3 years ago

    In terms of the window, we just replaced all of them last year. I do like the light as my house doesn't get much direct sunlight. So I don't think making it smaller is in the cards. I'm in the early stages of getting to plan this out. We are doing a small addition to our front entrance to provide an open entry and closets. It's not in the budget to do another addition so this is the space I have to work with. We know that opening the walls up and having an island will make it feel bigger and give us the counter space we have never had. I just wish I had more room for more upper cabinets! Can't have it all though ...

  • 3 years ago

    Also have not looked into having vent hood cover built. I'm adding that to my list of things to research!

  • 3 years ago

  • 3 years ago

  • 3 years ago

    I’m 5’ tall and taking hot items out of the microwave above the stove is not a problem.

  • 3 years ago

    I've never had a problem with the microwave but I do want to build it into the island as I find at dinner time here we are on top of each other because of it. Someone is always at the stove while someone else uses the microwave.

  • 3 years ago

    natalie, check the specs on microwaves first. If you want to use one of those more costly pull out drawer styles, check the rough-in specs.

    when I painted my kitchen cabs I modified the drawer under the wall oven. it's low, but I don't use it that often. I was going to put it in the island but built in models require about 24" of space (deep) and I didn't have that much room.


    my island drawers used to be open shelves. was going to stick the micro there, but just could make it work w/o really tearing up the wood.

    You can see it below the wall oven.


  • 3 years ago

    Beth I love that look! I wish I had room to do a built in oven, I would definitely do the microwave there too. I will look at the specs for sure.

  • 3 years ago

    I have my microwave on the side of our island (which only holds our cooktop). Just another idea.

    If you get narrow cabinets on the side of the range, your spices have a convenient home.