Software
Houzz Logo Print
kmedl

Can anyone recommend a paint color for our guest bedroom?

13 years ago
I'm starting on the decorating for our guest bedroom and need help with paint color for the walls and suggestions for finishing the bed linens. This is the duvet cover that I will be using. The headboard is a natural linen and the bedskirt is also a natural linen. The carpet will eventually be replaced, but right now I have to work with it. There will be one of those little night stands on each side of the bed, and I've ordered 2 of the lamps pictured. They are white with a blue linen shade.

I can get a different blanket and pillows for the bed, and right now have no art work for the walls. It is not a large bedroom, which is why the night stands had to be narrow. The bed and night stands take up that wall.

I'd like the walls to be a blue or green. Can you offer any suggestions on paint color? Any help with dressing the bed?
Thanks so much!

Comments (486)

  • 13 years ago
    The bird pillow is on backorder. I hope that's not for too long
  • 13 years ago
    Margo- all the changes on the bed the bird pillow remains the same.
  • 13 years ago
    Angela the bird pillow looks good up against those red pillows:) I love your shams too!
  • 13 years ago
    Margo right now it is shams, white pillows, orange and then bird. All together too much but cute though.
  • 13 years ago
    oops, on my monitor they look more red, looks good either way;)
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, Margo and Angela P, I'm lost. What are these last few posts about?
  • 13 years ago
    Angela posted a pic of her bed for you and Margo to see, with the bird pillow :)
  • 13 years ago
    The bed is going to look amazing, kmedl. And those 700 thread count shams should be perfect. :)
    kmedl thanked mefor
  • 13 years ago
    Ah, ok!
  • 13 years ago
    I've ordered the shams and bird pillow. Getting ready to order the 2 pillows from Etsy. It may not all get here before company Nov.1st, but that's ok :)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Well I'll cross my fingers for you :)x
    When I order things, 9 times out of 10, I get stuff early, sometimes even the back order things. You never know :)
    kmedl thanked mefor
  • 13 years ago
    Brennan will keep it warm and inviting.
  • 12 years ago
    Look what came today!!! Bird pillow and pillow cases with lilac trim. Now just waiting on the pillow shams to get here :)
  • 12 years ago
    Fantastic, do you love them? What a great day today, sink, vanity, counter and pillows :)
    kmedl thanked mefor
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I love it! So cute. Hubby said, "Can we be finished with the guest room yet?" Nope, I said, we're still waiting on more pillows :)
  • 12 years ago
    I love that pillow
    kmedl thanked armygirl1987
  • 12 years ago
    So close though, almost done :)
    kmedl thanked mefor
  • 12 years ago
    That bird pillow just makes me smile;)))))))
    kmedl thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Me, too, Margo. Thanks for finding it!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    How did it all turn out? The pillows all came in (the willow ones I had ordered from Etsy got here TODAY all the way from Indonesia!). I put a white pitcher with flowers on the dresser and a little pottery vase with purple flowers on the small table next to the chair. I really like the way that chair corner turned out. The pictures on each side of the of the bed are of local places of interest. I wasn't able to figure out what to do with the space on each side of the dresser, so for now I'll just let it be. Company will be here tomorrow!!! It's been a whirlwind. Never could get the blinds ordered in time, so that will be done sometime in October.

    BTW, did I fix all the pillows the best way?

    So, to all of my "decorating friends" at Houzz who helped me transform this room, THANK YOU!!
  • 12 years ago
    Welcoming and beautiful!
    kmedl thanked rsm49
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You have to feel soooo good and soooo proud and now you can just relax and enjoy the company. LOVE your home!!! This room will take their breath away when they walk in to settle in.
    kmedl thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    Great job! It is very beautiful.
    kmedl thanked Monica Ellison
  • 12 years ago
    Oh wow, check out the bird pillow. Making its round, everything looks really good.
    kmedl thanked armygirl1987
  • 12 years ago
    Very, very nice!
    kmedl thanked Ann
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Absolutely perfect!
    kmedl thanked A Crew of Two
  • 12 years ago
    Looks great kmedl- enjoy your company!!
    kmedl thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I love it, so welcoming, your guests will be so happy. :)
    kmedl thanked mefor
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thanks, everyone.

    Margo - you didn't win the bed in front of the window dilemma, but you got the white pitcher on the dresser, the bird pillow, no antique loveseat, no lizzie borden picture, and the arrangement of the chair, lamp, and side table. So you did pretty well, I'd say :)))))

    A Crew of Two - Love the curtains and the throw on the chair that you helped me find and your input with the chair. You're great at shopping!!!

    abbeyjean and mforr - you've helped all along the way!! Love all of your input, you both have had a big influence on how several of the rooms in my house have turned out. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks kmedl, it was a pleasure, love working on your rooms :)
    kmedl thanked mefor
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with mforr, you are a great poster and kept nice communication with us. Posted a lot of pics. I wish more posters would be like you.;))
    kmedl thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    kmedl, your guest room is just gorgeous. It turned out perfectly and I love all the finishing touches. Excellent job. :))
    kmedl thanked unwantedadvice
  • 12 years ago
    Wow..it turned out perfect,I love it!!
    kmedl thanked decoratinglady5
  • 12 years ago
    You sure helped a lot and made it easy for all of us to help you,providing pictures and all that so be proud of such a special,modern guest room for all your guests.
    kmedl thanked decoratinglady5
  • 12 years ago
    If any of you find yourself heading to North Carolina around the Asheville area, let me know! Would love to meet you and have you come to the house to see in person what you've actually done. Send me a message through Houzz!

    And after I've rested up from the company, I'll be back to working on the grandkids room. Remember that post? I was just getting started on it, but the guest bedroom and bathroom consumed all my time.
  • 12 years ago
    What a great room.i've this thread from the beginning. The pillows on the bed really work well.

    It makes me want to do a room. Maybe soon. Hope I'll have all help you have had. Congratulations.
    kmedl thanked Cindy Martin
  • 12 years ago
    Kmedl, please post a link to it,so I'll be able to find it. When you're ready, add it to this one or the bathroom discussion. :)
    kmedl thanked mefor
  • 12 years ago
    it came out beautiful! The throw actually balances out the color of the closet doors too! The decision to put the bed in front of the window paid off as it balanced the room. if the rooom is not in balance, it always loosk a little 'off'.

    Congrats! You have excellent taste as you know what you like and what you don't like and used those tools!
    kmedl thanked Linda Anthony
  • 12 years ago
    Your room looks fantastic. Your guests will never want to leave. I love the choices you made. Very calm and serene. I am so glad you left the closet doors, they balance off your Eastlake dresser beautifully. The white lamps are the perfect size, the throw adds a punch go color and the bird pillow adds personality. I actually love the historic family photo and hope you find a place for her, if not in this room in another.
    kmedl thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 12 years ago
    Here's the link to the posting about the grandkids bedroom. I'll probably get back to that in a week or so. Looking forward to what we can do with that room!

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-ideas-for-grandkids-bedroom-dsvw-vd~660292
  • 12 years ago
    A beautiful and welcoming room for your guests. I've never stayed in a guest room at someone's house that was as lovely as yours!
    kmedl thanked kcooz07
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful. Love that you took what you had and made it work.
    kmedl thanked Jennifer
  • 12 years ago
    I have a beautiful shade of sea foam green in mine and I haven't tired of it in years.
    kmedl thanked Rosemary Isabell
  • 12 years ago
    kmedl, I'm glad I checked back to see how your room turned out. It is beautiful, serene and very relaxing feeling. Good job!
    kmedl thanked vjs12
  • 12 years ago
    I LOVE THIS! I haven't read all the comments but I kind of want a pillow on the chair for when I sit there and read, there's something comfy. Maybe?
    kmedl thanked kristylou
  • 12 years ago
    It's beautiful!!! U did a wonderful job and going out and finding things as well as listening to the houzz peeps!
    I have been here since beginning watching and waiting!
    Love it!!
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful. Love the bird pillow. Good design work from Houzzer friends. Wouldn't it be nice to retreat to that comfy room.
  • 12 years ago
    Baby blue
  • 11 years ago
    Beautiful!!!!!! Don't you just love the friends on Houzz!!!!
  • 11 years ago

    I would suggest you keep the bed on the interior wall where you had it originally. Then, I would angle the vintage love seat across the corner to the right of the window. I do like the dark dresser on the left side of the window, but it could be just a few inches farther to the left. Some white or pastel dresser scarves would brighten up the antique dresser and contrast with the dark wood tone. As another poster suggested, I would look for a vintage-style floor lamp to place near the love seat. As for paint color, I would suggest a light green found in the print bedding for othe walls. I would suggest white-painted crown molding around the room and the ceiling painted a lighter shade of the blue in the print bedding. Some live plants, white sheers, and print curtains that harmonize with the print bedding will complete the look of the room.