Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamara_gonzalez18

What light do I use in under cabinet recessed?

Tamara Gonzalez
10 months ago

My new kitchen cabinets will come with two recessed under the cabinet - one for a lower strip and one for i der cabinet lighting. I can find the power strip but can’t figure out what lights are used Does anyone know?

If you have an inder cabinet light strip, do you like it, or donthe cords show too much on appliances that sit out all of the time like the coffee maker?

Comments (18)

• mcarroll16
    10 months ago

I like it, but yes, the cords do show too much. We had under-cabinet power strips (plugmold) installed, but we also had a few power outlets installed just above the countertop level, where we knew we would have coffee and tea equipment plugged in all the time. I wish we had also installed some countertop-level outlets for the stand mixer and blender. But at least they are tall so not much cord shows. What the plugmold is great for is the things you plug in occasionally--immersion blenders, spice grinders, etc. You don't have to shift anything on the countertop to find an outlet. If budget allows, plugmold plus strategically-placed regular outlets is the best combo.

I don't completely understand your question about lights. There are under-cabinet strips that combine outlets and lighting. It's better to have them separate though. Outlets should be at the back of the cabinet. Light strips should be at the front of the cabinet, shining down at roughly the middle of the countertop. Get tape UCL in an aluminum channel and diffuser cover. We have WAC lighting and love it, but there are many similar brands.

• Tamara Gonzalez
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you for your insight regarding the outlets. I was considering leaving two on the backsplash - one for the coffee maker and one for the blender, which are the only appliances that stay out on the counters.

These bottom of the caninets have one recessed area for the outlet strip and another for under cabinet lights. I’m not sure if there is a specific style of light that should be used in this instance.

• Tamara Gonzalez
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I just looked at WAC lighting online. It appears that is what the cabinets are intended to have

Thank you!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

I do not like the looks of the crds with power strips under cabinets IMO outlets in the back spalsh are still better and you can get great LUtron colors to blend with the backsplash .

Tamara Gonzalez thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Tamara Gonzalez
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I agree! I’m going to try to keep two outlets behind the two appliances we leave on the counter

• whistle_b
    10 months ago

I prefer outlets in the back splash turned horizontally. Put them as low as code will allow and get color matched and they almost disappear.

Tamara Gonzalez thanked whistle_b
  • darbuka
    10 months ago

I would agree with @whistle_b. However, where I live, code doesn’t allow outlets that low to the counters.

Tamara Gonzalez thanked darbuka
  • mcarroll16
    10 months ago

I see darbuka's point, and it really depends on the exact type of plugmold you go with. Ours is actually mounted to the wall immediatialy beneath the cabinets, with outlets facing out, the same as wall-mounted outlets do. So it's pretty easy to get a plug into the outlet. I would want that or the angled strips, not a kind where you had to insert the plug straight up into an outlet that faces the counter. It might also depend on your height. I'm 5' 6", I bend slightly to see the power strip. If I was 6' tall, it might be deeper, more uncomfortable bend.

Also agree with whistle_b. Our wall outlets are horizontal and just an inch above the countertop. Used blue Lutron outlets to blend into the tile.

Tamara Gonzalez thanked mcarroll16
  • whistle_b
    10 months ago

Mine are 4 inches above the counter. That's as low as code would allow. My electrician did not want to turn them. In fact, he charged extra!!

Tamara Gonzalez thanked whistle_b
  • nexp
    10 months ago

Horizontal outlets only make sense if you’re never using quad outlets. They also look strange on the same wall as switches, which would never be mounted horizontally.

• mcarroll16
    10 months ago

Ha! Our switches are "paddle" type and are mounted horizontally. But they are also mounted much higher than the outlets. Outlets right above the countertop, where the appliances hide them, switches up high so they are clear for easy reach. Even if the switches were vertical, you wouldn't see the contrast.

• nexp
    10 months ago

Different strokes! Having the outlets and switches in different planes would drive me almost as nuts as switches that defy the “up on, down off” convention!

• mcarroll16
    10 months ago

It would definitely be a bad look if both outlets and switches are visible. The point of countertop-level outlets--or undercabinet outlets--is to make the outlets as invisible as possible.

• ker9
    10 months ago

@mcarroll16 - I would love to see a picture of your setup.

• mcarroll16
    10 months ago

Here's the coffee counter--view with machines plugged in, and the blank wall. Taking pictures inspired me to locate one of our outlet extenders so I could plug all 3 machines into the low outlet, and eliminate the dangling coffee-maker cord. But giving you a picture of the "original" so you can see what under-cabinet outlets and cords look like. It's a good example of why a mix of under-cabinet and standard outlets are a good idea. Light switches would have been better closer to the window, but wall stud locations dictated this placement. The small paddles are for the under-cabinet and inside-cabinet lights, the large paddle is for the light over the sink.

• ker9
    10 months ago

@mcarroll16, thank you for sharing. Love what I see of your kitchen and would like to see more.

• mcarroll16
    10 months ago

I'm one small and one medium project from being "done." Hoping to have pictures within a few months.