Software
Houzz Logo Print
bgregorywallis

looking for kitchen update ideas - Advice?

3 years ago

Paint cabinets white? Change backsplash to white subway tile? Other thoughts? Or is it fine the way it is?

Comments (39)

  • 3 years ago

    Is the layout functional for how you cook?

  • 3 years ago

    it is definitely fine the way it is and I would absolutely not paint the cabinets. My own taste would be to have a round dining table and a more delightful pendant. I might look for snazzier bar stools. I also have soft seating in my kitchen, so I might get a loveseat for even more relaxation. I I wanted to blow money I'd get dark countertops and new backsplash.

  • 3 years ago

    I love the cabinets just the way they are. Difficult to advise about a backsplash because I can’t see the countertop clearly. I think the only thing that dates the kitchen is the two-tiered peninsula. I wouldn’t worry about that until you’re ready to update the countertop. Post a clearer pic of the countertop so we can offer advice.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    When you look at the space, what do you think is wrong with it? or in need of updating?

    I wouldn't paint the cabinets - they are beautiful.

    The walls look like they are beige or greige on my monitor - a color that doesn't quite work with either the cabs or the floor. I would think about changing that.

    White tile backsplash would set off the beauty of the cabs better, I think.

    I don't really like the semi-flush light over the eating area. Maybe something with more of a drop, larger, more presence for that space.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I like it. Do you have enough prep space? If not, I would get rid of the elevated countertop and make the usable countertop as deep as you want. I’d also consider squaring off the peninsula, unless the diagonal is there to repeat other architectural elements. You might have to get different stools if you want that for seating.

    I would also consider squaring the cabinet next to the fridge so you can have a bigger rectangular countertop and add a bit more storage to the upper and lower cabinets. I’m not a fan of the open shelves on the end. I don’t know how you would match the cabinets for additional storage.

    Is there enough room for everyone to work in the kitchen? It looks like a great layout for one person.

  • 3 years ago

    You cabinets are a gorgeous solid wood and leave them as is. Swap out your hardware for large contemporary pulls. Replace the counters with a white quartz and a greenish/brown glass subway tile backsplash. Stainless pendant lights over your peninsula would look great as well


  • 3 years ago

    Wow!! So many great comments!! Thank you - keep ‘em coming! I’m adding a close up photo of paint/backsplash/countertop below.

  • 3 years ago

    I do not like the reddish tone of the cabinets but they seem like they are a very nice wood so I don't think I would paint them either. You could try refinishing them Into a medium brown Definitely a pro job and probably not inexpensive. But it would open up so many more colors and design options to you. That reddish undertone is very limiting. The second thing that I would definitely change is the two-tiered peninsula. It's a very dated look and for me personally I never found them to be all that functional. I would leave the backsplash for now and focus on those larger items. You might end up not changing the backsplash at all.

  • 3 years ago

    The countertops are cream with white and gray flecks in it which allow for the white trim and coordinate with the stainless steel appliances. We’re trying not to gut the kitchen and change the layout. That’s good enough for us.
    I like the idea of changing the bar stools to a fabric covered seat similar to what’s at the table. I also like the idea of changing the table to round though the one we have extends to a rectangle which is handy when we have company. And the lighting pendants are great too. We have a small space and use a lot of small space hacks for making the most of it all. I appreciate seeing the photo with similar cabinets and white countertop and updated hardware. We have a transitional style home so need to consider the right style hardware too.

  • 3 years ago

    You can get pedestal round tables with a leaf that extends to an oval that will accommodate many more people, especially if you have dining chairs that are not bulky. Otherwise, the only thing I woukd chane is your countertops and if you get a new stove consider one without the high back part, i.e., controls on front edge of stove.

  • 3 years ago

    I'd also keep the cabinets.


    Change the counters - consider something like Fantasy brown marble and a greenish glass subway tile. I think it would bring everything current and match your decor. Classic, and updated!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Suggest deciding on your budget and making a wish list, prioritizing your wants. Take your time and consider the kitchen as a whole and the look you want, before making any changes and search/save all your ideas.

    I think the cabinets are fine, but in order to reduce the various wood tones, replacing the dining set and stools would be my suggestion and ensure they don’t compete with cabinets (the less wood the better and kitchrn will also feel lighter visually).




    The counter will have a big impact (you mentioned white). Unless you are painting the kitchen white, I’d opt for a cream, especially if keeping the backsplash.


    At this point, budget may be the decision maker for backsplash. Bring home lots of samples, but you may find the counter is enough. If you do change, consider a herringbone pattern and given the small area, won’t overwhelm but only enhance given its classic design.


    Inexpensive updates that would have impact: painting, a prettier feature wall (remove chair if never used, for more options) and a pretty runner. Not sure if the two pot lights above peninsula are located in the appropriate spots, but adding pendants would be a lovely feature (make sure your other lights feel similar).








  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I'd first start with budget, because if your fridge and range need to be replaced in the near future, that's where I'd put any updating dollars first. If your over the range microwave vents to the outside, you could put a hood there.

    Depending on your priorities, I'd either change the counters and backsplash or keep them and repaint the walls and change the hardware. If you're changing the counters, I would consider whether you use the desk area. One possibility is making that a beverage station, with an under-counter beverage fridge. Other folks have already covered considerations about the peninsula, etc.

    If you're going bigger on the update, next up would be lighting, but you could also skip ahead to furnishings.

    Smallest: update hardware, call it done

    Biggest: appliances (including hood and beverage fridge), counters, backsplash, lighting, paint, hardware, furnishings


    P. S. My personal vote is to update the hardware, repaint the walls something off-white like BM White Dove and focus on furnishings.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I'm with Team Keep the Beautiful Cabinets, backsplash, countertops. Instead upgrade your kitchen stools, dining table, art work on that wall in the distance.

    White stools with dark wood finish to echo cabinets.

    Parkland Renovation · More Info


    Light dining chairs with low backs, and get a round tulip dining table for contrast. Put three chairs around the round table and the fourth at the far end where you have an upholstered chair now.

    Craftsman Dining Room · More Info


    Round dining table:


    Get a sophisticated kitchen rug and not any old thing.

    Posstible palette for large food art on the wall with the upholstered chair, then repeat it in bowls, cookware, dishtowels, etc.



    sophisticated Indoor outdoor rug this palette

    Surya Rain RAI-1269 9'x12' Rug, Cream/Gray/Khaki/Camel/Dark Brown · More Info


    That's it. No contractor required.


    P.S. Or what Maureen suggests. Her inspo photos are great.

  • 3 years ago

    I agree with homechef - too much gray in the furnishings, and although I normally would like the wall paint (I do tend to like somewhat grayed colors, such as Martha Stewart paints used to have) it has a gray undertone as well (on my monitor), and it just doesn't work with the cabinets and floor - even though it does work with the backsplash.

    I think just try repainting the walls with one of the lighter cream colors in the backsplash.- look at the square in the bottom row, fourth from the left edge.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    There really isn't much wrong with any of this, other than an attempt to insert some popular fads into a timeless kitchen that doesn't need any fads. Ditch any grays anywhere in the home. Warm whites and greens are a classic pairing with cherry cabinets. You may eventually want to replace the Corian counters and travertine backsplash, but it's way down on the list of desirable changes.

    One thing that will really help to make this kitchen feel bright and updated is under cabinet lighting. Putting light on your work surface will be helpful in your using it as well. Add a couple of pendants over the bar area, and you're done.

  • 3 years ago

    I like this kind of Design Dilemma, upgrading a space with different color choices and furnishings, art, etc. without having to tear out anything.

  • 3 years ago

    @maureen = those pendants you posted are sexy! Source? / Brand?

  • 3 years ago

    @just_janni thank you for asking! I’m wondering the same!!

  • 3 years ago

    I searched on Pinterest for island pendant lights. You’ll see similar styles that you might prefer and be able to compare prices. Shades of Light has nice selections and that’s where I found them.

    https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/bentlee-large-pendant?color=Brass+White&epik=dj0yJnU9Y0RfTkpLNkZkUUxLckFic1V0Qzlobm52RU9zMEJnUVQmcD0wJm49SGpVYjdfVmpTOTRkZlhINGg5Qjd4dyZ0PUFBQUFBR1RrdkIw

  • 3 years ago

    Thank you all for so much GREAT advice!!! I’m going to keep the cabinets as is but they do have some worn spots and I’m curious for any tips, tricks or ideas to freshen them up? Posted photo of a close up of the most worn spot at the knob.

  • 3 years ago

    Worn spot by the knob on the left.

  • 3 years ago

    You can send them out for refinishing--much less $$$ than repainting.

  • 3 years ago

    I would consider a washable surface on the wall under the counter where the stools are…even some paneling for texture to add interest to the long run…

  • 3 years ago

    Choosing stools that match the cabinets or dining chairs or the paneling…would add to a smoother continuity as well

  • 3 years ago

    you can get wood oil that will make the wear disappear.

  • 3 years ago

    acm - do you have a brand you’d recommend?

  • 3 years ago

    Might be time for a good wash down with sugar soap to truly see the worn areas. Tease arch touch up options - Hopefully a good oiling will bring them back to life

  • 3 years ago

    Tease arch?.. 🤔 research!

  • 3 years ago

    getting rid of the two tier counter and the gray furniture will make a big difference.

  • 3 years ago

    I did a search for cabinet refresh on google. I came up with two companies in my area. They could either recondition the current finish and repair the areas of wear to make them look like new. or the could do the same repairs to fill in the dings and paint. Your choice.

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks again for the cabinet input! I used some Old English wood conditioner and cleaner and a lot of elbow grease today and they look fantastic!! Not brand new but so much better. After all they’re 18 years old. 😂

  • 3 years ago

    They're good looking cabinets! The only reason I suggested new hardware is it's an easy way to change things up. It must feel so good to have refreshed them.

  • 3 years ago

    Thank you ellaphant!! We also LOVE your idea of using the space under the “desk” as a drink fridge. I’m currently searching for “the one” that’ll fit. And new barstools are coming next week w upholstered natural/ivory fabric. 😍 I haven’t ruled out replacing the cabinet hardware - just haven’t gotten to it yet. Thank you again! So many great suggestions here. Just what I needed to get things going.

  • 2 years ago

    Updates since August! More to go but it’s coming along. 😊

  • 2 years ago

    Wow! That’s all I have to say. Magazine-worthy. What did you use on the cabinets to get them so beautiful?

  • 2 years ago

    Old English! Tried and true. Thank you for your kind comments.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    what bothered me was none of the items mentioned BUT maybe you should consider adding some detail to the ceiling -(built down coffered ceiling / pattered tin ceiling surfacing / or use of a bias relief ceiling tile to add texture to the central part of the ceiling) and paint to match the white ceiling as a soft detail and help add interest - and use more correct scale (larger) pendant light over the breafast table as well as over the island in need of some bespoke pendant fixtures to anchor these areas- all recessed lighting isn't helping - make some statement on this often overlooked surface