Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

The Parties over, the candles flicker and dim......

This is an "add to" list as they become available. I already asked about last bloomers on original scapes, but now I'd like to see what bloomed last in your garden as an original or as a rebloom......My last bloomer is on a rebloom scape of South Seas. I've had it almost from the beginning as it was so often praised on this forum when I was newer at this hobby. Other daylilies have come and gone in this color, but South Seas continues to keep her place in my heart and my collection. This is the last daylily reblooming or blooming in my garden. The party is indeed over for this season:

Please feel free to add to his post as your last blooms become available..........Maryl

Comments (16)

• shive
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Such a vivid color on South Seas. I have four with rebloom scapes coming - Stolen Heart, Rainbow Maker, Jewel of Tavares and Watermelon Summer - so I won't be able to answer your question until October.

Debra

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked shive
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    7 months ago

Autumn Minaret finished on 9/15. Ollalie Keith had last rebloom flower 9/10. No new photos of them, put the camera to bed in the middle of August.

Olfactory Evidence is the usual last to bloom, it took the season off.

Sherry

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Debra: I figured that people in warmer zones with lots of daylilies may run on into October. That's fine as it will be something to look forward to........We are having a cool down from the 90's into the mid 80's so South Seas fairly glows right now. It stopped me in my tracks when I was going past it yesterday afternoon, and I just had to take a picture........Sherry: I sure do like your Autumn Minaret as you know. It's on my long list now.............Maryl

• organic_kitten
    7 months ago

VERY nice rebloom. Lovely color.

kay

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked organic_kitten
  • Brad KY 6b
    7 months ago

South Seas is also a favorite of ours. It is indeed beautiful, similar to another favorite,Coral Majority. Sadly, it never reblooms for me, but it does bloom very well on the original scapes.

Brad

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Kay: I know you are one that will have blooms into October, but will you have them in November?.......... Brad: I grew Coral Majority also years ago and it was pretty enough. I even lost it once and reordered it. In the end, because of downsizing, South Seas won out over CM. I've had South Seas forever, and only in the last 3-4 years has it started reblooming. Why? I don't know, so I just accept the blessing..........Maryl

• DaveinVA (7a)
    7 months ago

After having almost nothing to say about rebloomers, this year has my head spinning. Just yesterday I saw a single bloom on Black-eyed Stella and a few days before I found a spent bloom on Clementella (it may have bloomed while Ophelia was dumping on us) and a bloom and two more buds on Stella D'Oro.

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked DaveinVA (7a)
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I have a friend that swears by her reblooming Black-eyed Stella and Stella D'oro is well known for pumping out blooms. It's so nice to see they are doing well for you. I assume you are saying that you seldom get rebloom on your daylilies most years?........Maryl

• Dave Connell
    7 months ago

Right, Maryl; little, if any.

• Brad KY 6b
    7 months ago

Here's my last one blooming. I will go to frost with 30 buds, plus 6 more scapes that may not get to bloom before frost. All well budded. It was my first one to bloom [June 1] now the last one. Much better on rebloom.

Belle Isle Sentry.

Brad

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    6 months ago

That's pretty amazing to get that performance from a daylily. AND it's a pretty one too.....When is your average first frost date in KY? We have about 5 weeks left until ours, but this is Oklahoma so, as in last year's mid Oct Frost, that could change any time now........Maryl

• shive
    6 months ago

Brad - That bloom of Belle Isle Sentry is especially pretty. I hope your other scapes on it get a chance to bloom.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    6 months ago

Maryl, our average first frost is mid. Oct. but the average for frost/freeze that really ends the season is the end or Oct. It is possible to be in mid Nov.

Brad

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • organic_kitten
    6 months ago

Maryl, it would surporise me to have blooms in November. I will admit, I will have blooms longer this year than I ever have before. Everytime I think I am through, something else either blooms or sends up a scape. It has been a very long time since we have had rain, and October is usually out dries month and still they bloom,. Weird!

kay

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked organic_kitten
  • shive
    6 months ago

I've had daylilies reblooming in November before. Our average frost date is the end of October, but many years it's mid-November. I've just had two more seedlings put up rebloom scapes. I hope they'll be able to open a few good blooms before frost.

Debra