Software
Houzz Logo Print
gargigg

Undercabinet lighting

2 years ago

We are getting our kitchen cabinets refaced. Currently we have hardwired light strips a the back of the cabinet base (so light lands at the back of the counter). In order to have the underside of our upper cabinets veneered the same as the rest of the cabinets/sides, we have to remove the under cabinet lights (we can leave them if we don't want this area done). Trying to decide 1) have the lights removed so we can reface the underside (my inclination is yes), 2) just put back up the ones we have?, 3) get new rechargeable LED strip lights and move then closer to middle/front of cabinet?


I just bought motion sensor strip for our closet pantry which works great (wouldn't want senor option in kitchen) but could get similar but longer for kitchen.

Thoughts?

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I need pics please . Mu gut says do it right this time and I sure hope your cabinets are worth a reface since the cost is almost the same as new . Post pics here in comments DO NOT start another post.Now I have the pic so what you have is kind of useless unless it lights the counter where you work , What oyu need is the pice at the bottom of the cabinet that hides the strip light a much different type then what you have now . As for capping electrical that can be verty expensive to do and not to code to just cap. I would stronly suggest you get an electrician to check out what needs to be done .You also need to go check out all the types available for this use.

  • 2 years ago

    The lights are at the back. Options are to 1) not even touch bottom of cabinets and leave as is, 2) remove the current ones and re-wire after re-facing is done, 3) remove and “cap off” the wiring- not sure what exactly that entails and just add simple not wired lights.
    These were just added 5 years ago so aren’t old but also not new. We are not getting electrician for this project.

  • 2 years ago

    I would remove, have it painted and then put them back up. Rechargable ones sound like a pain in the ass long term. Sounds like another chore that will get old really quick.

    Gcubed thanked zealart
  • 2 years ago

    If the reface is going to be the same color, then I don't see a reason to do the bottoms. If it is a big change you might want to - but generally, the bottom isn't in view, so I probably wouldn't go to the expense.

    Either way, I would find a way to move the light to the front where it will be more useful -- but that is what I like, and you may be just fine with them positioned to the rear.

    Your current lights look pretty thick - are you getting light bar trim on the cabinets to hide them?

    If you want to move them the simplest course may be to get new lights - I have the Utilitech slim plug-in LED bars, from Lowe's, which, if you have basic electrical skills, you can convert to join to your existing hard wiring - since your existing probably won't allow your current lights to be moved. That avoids a big "rewire". And that is what my electrician did.



    Gcubed thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • 2 years ago

    The undercabinet lighting wasn't something we were planning to change; it may be more functional if moved to the middle but doesn't bother us. Plus, we are NOT getting any trimt to hide it. At the moment, you really don't see them if you walk into the kitchen unless you look under the cabinets. The new cabinet doors and siding (for frige compartment, toe kicks, etc) will be a whiter white. The cost of refacing the bottoms is part of the total cost (whether we do it or not). I guess I need to figure out if I can have someone remove the lights and re-install without hiring an electrician.

  • 2 years ago

    If you've kept the original paperwork that came with the lights (if you are the one that had them installed) there might be some information on installation that would tell you how tricky it might be.

    They might actually be "slot on screw" type install, so easy to drop down, and maybe enough for the refacing to be slid into position and screws replaced.

  • 2 years ago

    I'll check - we did buy them (actually our contractor at the time did, so I'm not sure I have that paperwork but will look). Or I can reach out to him I suppose. Our building also has a great handyman, so i can ask him if it looks like something he's worked with before.

  • 2 years ago

    Things have changed quite a bit in the 5 years since you bought those... time to let them go. These are a little more than a quarter inch thick with motion sensor. Gotta love Costco and their lifetime warranty!


  • 2 years ago

    That's my debate. Is hardwired "better" in the long run? I have a similar of those thin motion sensor strips in my pantry closet. It's perfect for that. But I also don't want to be taken them down every few days to recharge them. and if they are thin and white... they'd probably blend in. I have a few weeks to decide but probably at the least it makes sense to take mine down so the refacing can happen (vs regretting not doing it)


  • 2 years ago

    Just to be clear… the Costco lights are wired. There is no question that wired is better and more convenient as long as work is being done take advantage of the situation and get your counters lit how you want them. I had those same under counter lights that you have now and I remember that they were about $100 per fixture when I bought them. It’s amazing how cheap everything got. Except of course architectural undercabinet lighting like these pieces.