Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mccloskey61

Help with front landscape!

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago



Im looking for suggestions on how to make the river rock bed look more inviting. It looks a bit odd to me to have half rock/half mulch. We have small children that are always walking in the rock area so dont mind it but need it to look better. I have added the walking stones and the rock edging recently- i am looking for any advice on plants that would look uniform with rest of yard and house. Thanks in advance!

fyi- we live in texas and looking for somethubg that will sustain winter and summer without much upkeep.

Comments (13)

  • 2 years ago

    I would eliminate the rock and just use mulch with a path through it and some nice plants, The dark mulch will set your house off better then the light colored stones.

    Lisa Marks thanked callirhoe123
  • 2 years ago

    What Callie said. 👆

    The mix is bothering you already.

    If your children like to dash straight across the bed from the steps to the yard, align those large stepping stones in the mulch with their preferred path in mind.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I'm going to suggest you transplant at least the 2 central boxwoods if you can to the dirt bed. I would do that wilth the smaller plants as well.

    I would add more stepping stones -- probably another six right in front of the door. I would add more rock/pebbles/pea gravel and let the mulch deteriorate.

    My big investment would be some beautiful big pots to join with the tree in front of your window, and tuck in one to the left of your steps. I might get at least one big Talavera planter, I think I might get one solid color one with a great deep glaze, and I think I might also get a natural terracotta one, maybe especially one that is a low wide bowl. Since you also have metal, you can use iron planters too. It might look nice to have a black iron chair with a planter of flowers on it. Or would your kids sit out there if there were a garden bistro set?

    Last suggestion. If you can't somehow fix a wider crossbeam to your lampost I would look for tall ""hook'''planter holders for each side of the lampost. Hang a clearer sign for your house address in black and white letters, and maybe a hanging basket plant for the other side. (I don't want to burden you with watering tasks, as things do dry out fast in pots).

    Lisa Marks thanked mytwo cents
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago



    https://www.lafuente.com/Mexican-Decor/Talavera-Pottery/Talavera-Planters/3576/7702?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces-across-google&utm_term=7702&srsltid=AfmBOoqRPQrSYqBifh9WnR2RsN0UVaP6_7xpVIavnKhF8gL47sFlCGb_l9I







    This below is from Grandin Road and could solve all your problems!


    These could beef up your lampost


    No birdbath (to keep away mosquitos).

    So my suggestion is to make a checkerboard of 9 stepping stones in front of your door, a colorful planter to the left of your steps, buy the big round hanging plant holder and put it kind of in front of your lamp post (a bit to the left) and tuck the bistro set where your boxwoods are now. If it would look nice to have a few more planters, either on the ground or on hooks, add them.

    Lisa Marks thanked mytwo cents
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I’m in D/FW, are you in the Austin/SA area? Just curious as it will tell your soil type.

    The Yaupon Holly (I think that’s what I see, when I enlarge the pic it gets blurry) in front of the window needs to be transplanted. It will grow into a small tree and completely cover your window and will have to be constantly trimmed from your stairs area. It’s a valuable plant, but terrible for that spot (especially if you want low-maintenance). Even if not a YH, whatever it is will outgrow that spot. I see you’re already having to trim it up a lot.

    I’d only have rock and stepping stones to the left of my mark, the rest plantings and mulch (or even less rock than that. It’s not the best near plants in our blazing sun and heat):



    I’d remove everything in front of the window (are those meatball shaped shrubs Juniper? I can’t tell) and plant two or three flowering Abelias. They won’t get too big, but will look lush, graceful, and are evergreen. They’re great pollinators, too

    In front of them and to the right, I’d do a mix of dwarf Yaupon Holly, Salvia Greggiis, and ’New Gold’ lantana. There are tons of other plants that could work very well, too, I’m just listing some that are native and as little maintenance as possible, no trimming … I’m not sure where in Texas you are, but I’m guessing alkaline soil.

    I’d have a lovely glazed birdbath somewhere, too. As long as they’re kept clean, mosquitos won’t be an issue. Our birds this past awful summer desperately needed fresh water.

    Find a good local nursery to consult with, not big box stores. Show them pictures and they’ll be a good resource for info. Everything I listed, and the nursery will advise, are extremely drought-tolerant once established, and also cold tolerant when we got those record winters we’ve been having.

    I cannot stress enough that you (or pay someone) need to move the Yaupon Holly/or whatever that is. Move it to a spot it can happily grow in its natural state.

    In the little square by the garage, I’d either have a beautiful glazed pot with or without a plant, or something soft.

    ETA: The oak (I think) in the forefront of the picture is leaning badly and has a wound on the trunk. I’d have a professional come check it out before it grows much more. It looks like it’s planted too deep. I’d pull the mulch away from the trunk asap.

    Lisa Marks thanked Jilly
  • 2 years ago

    i would say add a birdbath. However you do not have the plantings that will give you the full benefit of a birdbath. For a fully active birdbath you need to provide cover for the birds. A bird feeder would also be of benefit. The you and the children would enjoy watching the birds as they bath and eat. There are many plants that would thrive in your area. Birds love flowering plants like butterfly bush, and similar seed bearing plants.

  • PRO
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    That looks lovely, Celery, but definitely wouldn’t be low maintenance!

    And in Doug’s pretty design, wondering what this conical plant is:




    The path is wonderful, love that. Would not plant those old varieties of invasive Nandinas, though. And a Salvia/Sage in a pot wouldn’t bloom much or look very interesting in summer.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    The plant is Oakland™ Holly
    Ilex hybrid ‘Magland’ PP14417 . Also, Mealy Cup Sage blooms for a long time in hot weather.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Thanks, Doug!

    From what I read, I think it might struggle in this particular situation, but I’ve not had it myself. If she likes it, she could check at local nurseries or consult an area pro.

    ETA, saw your edit … I have tons of Mealy Cup, always have — it blooms sporadically in our triple digits and can look haggard in pots by July on in many cases.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I do not interpret what I read about Oakland holly as being a problem in North Texas.https://www.covingtonnursery.com/gardening/holly-selection-and-care-in-north-texas/

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Yes, they would thrive in more acidic soils, and shadier yards, such as in Dallas and Houston.

    It sounds like it could be a gamble in this case, and would need extra care and pampering. And some of those types don’t love our scorching conditions west and south of the Metroplex. That’s why Yaupons are the go-to.

    I‘m just saying she should check with local experts if she’s interested. It might be worth experimenting with, but I think she’s looking for low-maintenance and proven performers.