Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jally1

How to remove SilverLine 8700 window screen which has plastic tabs?

jally
6 months ago

How do I remove SilverLine 8700 window screen which has plastic tabs? Please see below pics. I couldn't find any clear instructional video corresponding to my window screen.

Comments (10)

• jally
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Uh, what are finger tabs and lift rail? In an attempt to mimic the guy in your video, I just now slid the right & left windows toward the center area. Then I grabbed hold of the base of screen at each end (which was quite a stretch for my short arms). I then tried pushing up the screen, but it didn't budge.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 months ago

Full screens can be tricky. It is easier from the exterior. I’d remive both sashes if dong from the interior. A thin prybar can be helpfull.

jally thanked toddinmn
  • millworkman
    6 months ago

@jally the "cheap plastic tabs" as you called them. Watch the video I linked.

• jally
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I did watch that video previously. But his screen is different than mine. His has an indentation all along the screen's frame.

If i attempt it from the exterior side, can a dull, non-sharp paint scraper be substituted as a prybar - and should i insert the dull scraper-blade underneath the base of screen to pry it in an upwards motion? Though where on earth i'd insert it is the question. Furthermore, there's a mound of crushed rock against the house, due to a trench that prevents basement floods. Because of that, my ladder can't be flush against the house, making it precarious.

On the other hand, if i attempt it again from the interior, are those eight "cheap-plastic tabs" supposed to be movable (spring-operated)? I haven't a clue. I also am clueless what those four square shaped loops are supposed to be.

I'm guessing not too many people have such window screens.

• millworkman
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

The tabs are used to either pull down or lift up the screen to compress the springs that hold the screen in place for removal. Silverline used these tabs in lieu of a rail like in the video.

jally thanked millworkman
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 months ago

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=SilverLine+8700+window+screen+removal&t=ftsa&iax=videos&ia=videos

watch as many of these as you can.. until you hit the jackpot...

let us know ...

as the first guy says... be gentle ...

ken

jally thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • jally
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks guys. Methinks I'll first have to order a new set of genetics so that I can transmorph into a muscular enough homo sapien capable of tackling this!

• woodbutcher_ca
    5 months ago

Hi, I removed and bult a lot of screens in my Time. To get a screen out you must get a corner out to start. You need a couple of pocket screwdrivers. Pull the tab sideways.So you can get the screwdriver behind the screen frame and hold it there. Now lift the screen to get it out the bottom channel. Once you have the whole corner just above the rais you can gently start working the rest out.

Good Luc Woodbutcher

• jally
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks for the further input. I didn't get a chance to try my hand at it again. I guess I can try at the next opportunity I get. You've no idea how time consuming life becomes, when everything one buys nowadays doesn't fit and needs extreme altering (or trashing). Also trying to find shoes for more than a year to no avail. Yada yada.