Software
Houzz Logo Print
paradoll

full height base cabinet doors under sink - pull or knob?

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I’m struggling to choose knobs or pulls for doors under the sink…36” base cabinet with single 32” bowl and no faux front. (Debating a flip tray but leaning to not)


U-shaped kitchen: Left of the sink is a 18” pull out drawer for trash/recycle bins.

To the right is a DW, then a corner lazy susan, a stove, another corner cabinet, then two 24” base cabinets (3 drawers in 5/10/15” height configuration in the first. Second cabinet with an appliance shelf above a 15” drawer)


I usually snag my pockets in pulls and knobs so am wary of certain styles and am not sure of this knob.


All uppers are doors and the plan is to put in knobs on all wall cabinets.


The lazy corner susans will probably get a knob each (one is inset and the other is a regular bifold). The drawers will get the same 6” pull. Hoped for an 8” but it looks like the style of pull does not come in larger sizes in the finish I like.


Would you go with the knobs or pulls on doors at the sink?


Knob: Richelieu BP734544CHBRZ
https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/category/decorative-hardware/cabinet-hardware-pulls-and-knobs/knobs/modern-metal-knob-7345/1211325/sku-BP734544CHBRZ


Pull: Richelieu BP10746CHBRZ

https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/category/decorative-hardware/cabinet-hardware-pulls-and-knobs/pulls/modern-metal-pull-107/1004924/sku-BP10746CHBRZ









Comments (9)

  • 2 years ago

    Because the sink area is the most likely that you will snag pockets, I would think to go with the pulls there. Those shouldn't be able to snag, the knobs could. Then design it out from there, mocking it up on the bottom units.

    This is a matter of personal style. Some people go all pulls. Some go all knobs. Some mix and match.

  • 2 years ago

    Fantastic, thanks Jenny for the advice! Maybe I’ll go all pulls on the bottom then. Feeling a bit of pressure as I have to order these to get them before the counter templating but the cabinets aren’t even installed yet!

  • 2 years ago

    I have knobs on all of my cabinets, including the ones under the sink. I have never had a problem. I like the look of knobs. I use pulls for all of my drawers.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Just do all pulls - D shape, closed ends and not a pocket catcher. Pulls look great on uppers as well.

    It isn't even a decision you need MAKE right now!!!

    People go for weeks with a tab of masking tape affixed to the backside of doors and drawers while they decide hardware, look, size, finish et al.

    Your pressure is "self inflicted" : ) and as for sizing and finish? Nowhere will you find more options than Top Knobs, with great quality as well

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks Jan and houssaon!


    Jan unfortunately with my countertop ordered from Ikea (Caesarstone) apparently they require that the handles be installed prior to templating hence all my uncertainty!


    Normally I'd tape and put them much later... maybe I can get away with having no handles like you're saying and say that was intentional...


    thank you for the top knobs site tip!

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I've never heard of having to have hardware installed prior to templating the counter top. It doesn't seem to make sense--what does one have to do with the other?

    To address your original question, it's really up to you. I like knobs on doors and pulls on drawers.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    What?!? There is z.e.r.o reason to install hardware prior to a cabinet template for tops! Hundreds of kitchens later, I'd freeze in hell before I let someone dictate a timetable on a simple thing like a hardware install.

    LOL...... what if one changes mind on style or finish of pull or knob up the road?The installer comes back and yanks your tops off? I think ..not.: )

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I usually do full height doors on vanity sink cabinets and not on kitchen ones. Here is what I do in the bathroom, I buy a simple finger pull in the same color/finish as the knobs. These are all from Rocky Mountain Hardware. There wasn't enough space for the pull to fit between top of door and the counter, so the door had to be routed out.



  • 2 years ago

    Your installer might be afraid you are installing surface mounted finger pulls afterwards, which might not fit under the counter, like in my bathroom example above.