Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_48038296

shower remodel help

2 years ago

I’m looking to replace my current shower with something that is private and easy to clean. Nothing in the pictures looks like either. What do I do?

Comments (14)

  • 2 years ago

    Tub shower combo with a shower curtain. Private and throw it in the wash to clean. Doesn't get easier than that.

  • 2 years ago

    " Nothing in the pictures looks like either. "


    What pictures as none are showing?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    When uploading a picture, you must wait for that j peg picture to clarify on your phone or device, before you tap or click submit.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    What is a private shower? I agree a shower curtain gets privacy i guess. Post pics of the space and also a much better explanation of what you want . Post here in a comment DO NOT start another post Iften you cannot add to your original post so all things needed for the dilemma are done here in comments Wait for the photo to no longer be grayed before hitting submit

  • 2 years ago

    Here are the pictures.

  • 2 years ago

    I guess I meant nothing in the pictures that I’ve seen on the website look like they would be private or easy to clean. The grout here in my current shower is disgusting. The corners have mold that I can not get out. My new shower must be easy to clean and I would love to have a more private shower door if that’s feasible.

  • 2 years ago

    Take a look at swanstone solid surface shower panels-they look like grouted tile but isn’t.

    https://swanstone.com/shower-walls

    Maybe a frosted glass swing door would be easier to clean and offer more privacy.

  • 2 years ago

    While you are planning your new shower, you can have the old shower cleaned and sealed by professional tile cleaners. They have equipment, chemicals and expertise. Their work can make a huge difference in removing mold and mildew stains and making it much easier to keep clean.


    Shower door privacy can be added with film to existing doors on the outside glass. You can buy frosted glass for the new shower.

  • 2 years ago

    An exhaust fan and light directly over the new shower or just outside it will help prevent mildew.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    You should post pics of the entire bath, please?

    Just as you did for the shower, below

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    You could also do something like this, but make the pony wall go 3/4 of the way up instead of just 1/2.


    Napa Contemporary Master Bath Walk-in Shower · More Info


  • 2 years ago

    I have no idea how tile with lots of grout came to be standard in showers. All the bathroom idea photos show brand new work and I just have to wonder what those tiled showers look like in five to ten years. The shower in my previous home was a one-piece molded fiberglass unit.....top, sides, bottom...all fiberglass. No panels and no seams. You may not be able to get such a unit in an already built home due to the door openings you will have to get it through! I added a sliding glass door instead of a shower curtain. It was just me in the house so privacy wasn't an issue. The best way I know to keep a shower of any kind looking like new is to use your bath towel to dry the shower completely right after you dry yourself with it. If your shower is too grungy to want to clean it with your good towels, then you probably aren't starting with a new shower. I found it took a bit of time, but only a minute or two and it was totally worth it to keep from having to do a deep clean now and then.

    I stand to catch some rolled eyes for this but I remodeled a bathroom tub/shower many years back and used a rock-patterned linoleum as the shower walls. I put rounded molding in the two back corners to keep from having sharp bends in the linoleum and I cut the linoleum long enough to allow for folding back the bottom six inches along the seam at the tub to prevent water from getting to the backing. That might not be necessary now with the newer vinyl products. I glued it to the prepared wall with flooring cement and it worked fabulously for the years I owned that place. It shed water like no other product I have seen and I never had to even spray soap cutters on that wall. Yes, a redneck product but it WAS a mobile home and it worked very nice. I think for a more upscale look you should consider some of the large-format porcelain tile made for that application.....a couple of comments already above for those types of products. I'm currently remodeling a home and plan to install a 3' X 5' fiberglass pan as in your photo and will probably use large-format porcelain. Some of the panels and tile seem to be outrageously priced so I'm keeping my eyes open for other materials. I LOVE the look of tile products but grout just seems too labor-intensive for long-lasting good looks. Even the bathroom idea books suggest using smaller tile on the floor to increase the percentage of the area that is grout for traction.....oh my!

  • 2 years ago

    I was in Lowes yesterday and saw those large-format porcelain tiles again. It's a new product for me but perhaps I should get out more :>)

    They were $32 each for 4' X 2' tiles. That's going to add up but I think it will be competitive with other products. I think the floor pan I saw was in the $300 range, the back wall panel was just over $300 and the two side panels were $288 each. I guess I can see $300 for the floor pan but those wall panels....geeze! So the modular fiberglass/acrylic unit would add up to about $1,200 but it CAN be installed in areas where you might not be able to fit a one-piece molded unit. I wonder if the large format tile can be installed on the walls with a sealant and NO grout. That's probably going to stir up some comments but it's a goal to consider.