Software
Houzz Logo Print
interurban77069

Window Treatments

2 years ago

Are Plantation Shutters still in Style? I am moving into a Brand New home that is transitional which is perfect for my style as I lean more to British Colonial. However I still want to stay on “ trend “ and want to look free and modern. Am I confusing myself? Lol. What’s your thoughts?

Comments (14)

  • 2 years ago

    Typo “ fresh” not free

  • 2 years ago

    I dislike plantation shutters and don't care if they are in or out.

    You should use window coverings that complement the style of the house, work with your decor and provide any needed light/sun control and privacy. Shouldn't matter if they are currently in or out!

  • 2 years ago

    We have plantation shutters throughout our house and love them. That being said, I agree with chispa regarding house style.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I like the look of plantation shutters. If they go with your decor style and the home I would definitely consider using them. If you were a MCM gal, they wouldn't work. Keep in mind that some versions do block a surprising amount of light.



  • 2 years ago

    Do you have pics of your home you can post, and pics of furniture or inspiration looks? What matters most is whether you like the look and if it works for your space. If you count on trends, you'll need to reinvest in new window treatments every 5-7 years. Probably not what you want to do.

  • 2 years ago

    Plantation shutters have been around for centuries and will always be in style.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    There are a variety of ways to address window treatment in British Colonial style rooms. Shutters work. Shutters & drapery together work. Roll up or fold up peel rattan shades also work.






  • 2 years ago

    Thank you so much for the advice/ pictures

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I find that simple roller shades and solar shades give you quite a bit of versatility in regards to light and heat control. They also allow full views with touch-free and motorized control options. They also allow for more decorative window treatments on top of them (if inside mounted). I agree with the other people on the forum about shutters looking great in certain styles of homes. Good luck with your project.

  • 2 years ago

    Google the history of the shutters, invented in Greece 800 BC. Guessing you can say shutters are not a trend. And, perfect for British Colonial decor. If you are looking for furniture, explore all the vintage pieces. Baker, for one, made some beauties.


  • 2 years ago

    We don’t have anything with the shutters on our windows, but I do like how these shutters and drapes work together. I think these would look just as nice with floor length drapes.


  • 2 years ago

    Thank you , I love that look and it’s exactly what I had in mind.

  • 2 years ago

    Like the others have said I wouldn't pay attention to the trends. it also seems that in certain parts of the country like in the south east, plantation shutters are always in style. The picture immediately above s a very classic look. For what it's worth, here is why I do not like them: difficult to clean and the horizontal lines add visual clutter to a space.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I do not usually like plantation shutters but maybe with your style thay might work. What I dislike about them is the fact they look heavy, and block the view too things I avoid with window coverings. I was removing these in Calgary 20 yrs ago but they seem to be very popular in the US. To me they are never modern and not sure how modern and british colonial work together. I do agree trends are not how you design your own home , you do what you love .I use solar shades for light and heat control they give you day time privacy , let you keep the view and I usually use drapes with them for nightime privacy and a nice finished look.