Software
Houzz Logo Print
meranda_mowry

Need a furniture solution

2 years ago

We have a long family/dining/kitchen room that I need to furnish. It's our family and entertaining space and I want it to look nice, but I will always value functional and comfortable over just pretty.
We've talked about a sectional (maybe with reclining seats) but I don't know if it would make sense in the space since you'd be looking at the back of the couch walking into the room based on where the TV and couch is currently. But we want something big enough the family can sit comfortably to watch movies/tv together.
I'm not completely locked into the TV having to stay there, but I do think we want to be able to see it from the kitchen.
I'm not a great artist but I tried to capture the major measurements. Please help!!

Comments (14)

  • 2 years ago

    It's fine to see the back of a couch -- you can even put a slim console table behind it if you want a different face.


    Transitional Family Room · More Info


  • 2 years ago

    A console table behind the couch will dress it up nice, although I would not put lamps or breakables on it if you will be watching football on that couch. 🙂

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago


    If you select a reclining sectional, it cannot be overstuffed. The scale needs to be reasonable for this room.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Please no reclining sofa. Wah , please no



  • 2 years ago

    Appreciate the comments and sketches!! So no one thinks it's weird, or interrupting traffic flow if you're having to choose to go left around the sectional or right towards the kitchen immediately on entering the room? Or having to walk all the way around the sectional to sit?

  • 2 years ago

    No island in your scheme?



  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Yes, you go "left or right" around the sectional to sit

    If you can live with the tv over the fire? There are other options. Such as two couches perpendicular to fire, but that will leave room for one chair at the entry directly facing tv..

    Your problem is right here, and I would add that not every room must have a fire.....the tv IS the darn "fire" !! so who.... is kidding who?



  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    There is such a thing as a sectional with recliner that doesnt look like a man-cave pillow thing. I had thad dillema myself. We have a cozy, dark TV room tucked away in the house. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookshelves on one wall. I wanted a sectional to wrap around two walls leaving the fourth wall as the room entry. Very cozy. Very specific to TV viewing. Husband and kid wanted recliners in the sectional. I groaned because I pictured the black pleather stuffed up thing with cupholders and a massage unit. eeeeewwwwwwww.

    I shopped until I found it. Looks like a standard upholstered sofa. I had choice of fabric. It works. BUT, if it is floating in the room, be aware of the electric plugs for the recliner. Because ours is against the walls, they are invisible.



  • 2 years ago

    If you choose a sectional, you have to deal with the fact that it blocks traffic. If you choose a reclining sectional, you will block traffic and you will not be able to back the sectional with a console table upon which you can place a lamp. The problem with the vast expanse of sectionals is that it is difficult to light the seating area for reading, etc.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    IMO reclining furniture in an entertaing space is never a good idea. I also think sectionals are the most expensive way to buy the least number of comfy seats arm rests=comfort so 2 comfy seats no matter how big the sectional. A sofa and 2 chairs 4 comfy seats ans if the space is big enought 2 soafas and 2 chairs . I think if thos was a media room recliners would be fine but it is also your entertining space This is wahy I never do the FP and the TV in the same space when I design homes If this is the only place for entertaining IMO no seational and no recliners you can add some ottomans the bonus is the little kids can use them for seating when you have acrowd.

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks for the response. It is unfortunately the only living space so the tv has to go in here with the fireplace. Do you see a way to arrange a couple sofas and/or a couple chairs in a way that makes sense in relation to both the TV and the fireplace and taking into consideration where the entry to the room is located?

  • 2 years ago

    If you design in a transitional style, there are sofas that recline and aren't the overstuffed puffy style you find at large furniture stores. We used the Bracci Smart sofa.

    https://www.braccisofas.com/collections/smart-sofa/

    The recline motion is forward, so you can place the sofa next to a wall or a console table, but you need a bit more room between the sofa and any coffee table.

  • 2 years ago

    You could do a couch facing the TV (recliner or with an ottoman) and two swivel chairs across from the fireplace - can be turned towards the TV or towards the fire/couch for conversation. Swivel chairs are pricey though.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    You have the best option with the sectional in my first sketch - anything else loses seating .Feet and inches don’t lie.

    That is in fact why we ask for all the feet and inches:)

    both work below

    angle the chairs for a pass through!