Software
Houzz Logo Print
internet1382

Shower Doors: Tell me what you think I should know

2 years ago

The guest bathroom has gone from an old 1970s tub/shower combo to a cheap one-day install. The heavy glass door that opened out because of its weight and the bad installation by (the awful, horrible, unspeakably bad) Re-Bath ended up pulling itself out of the wall within two years was put in is now a fixed shower with tile and new fixtures and floor. The final install is the shower door. I don't have pictures or a drawing; what I am hoping for is overall ideas, opinions and general thoughts about shower doors in general. I am thinking about sliding doors because of that awful experience. Would that be better? What have you used and liked or disliked. I am looking for quality.

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    No pictures, no context, and no shower door of any size, pulls itself out of a wall when correctly installed in a shower.

    Come back with more in pics, dimensions, the entire bath plan, all feet and inches , fixtures, the what and the where of everything. Below: )

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Generally both out swing and sliding shower doors work fine if you buy good quality and have expert installation. The configuration of the bathroom will determine which one is most appropriate.

  • 2 years ago

    Don't let your past experience sway you from a swing door for your shower. They obviously did not mount the door correctly. We have a door that is large and very heavy so we had triple studs framed where the shower door mounts to the wall and it has been rock solid. The builder was going to mount a small and lighter door in a second shower to a wall that had a pocket door. Unbelievable. That would not have lasted. We do not like pocket doors so it was easy to have it framed for a swing door since it leads to a closet.

  • 2 years ago

    I personally don't like sliding doors, especially aging in place. the soap scum in the track...

    I look for improvements that require the least care/cleaning/maintenance.


  • 2 years ago

    Not an expert, but my understanding is you need blocking behind the wall when attaching a swinging glass door. I also thought Rebath just slapped some panels over one's old bath/shower, in which case they can't have added blocking.

  • 2 years ago

    Ive had a Koehler swinging glass door and it works great. Like most things if you get a quality product and have it installed properly the product will work as it should. Unfortunately, sometimes you think you’re paying for that quality and good service but get scammed. Read reviews of products and check referrals of contractors before going for it.

  • 2 years ago

    Sounds like a bad installation job. Good glass shower doors should swing both in and out. I don’t like the sliding glass door concept.

  • 2 years ago

    Hello, everyone, and thank you so much! I truly appreciate the comments. The shower is finished except for two smaller hand supports (that will go in after the door). I am going with the contractor to look at the doors next week and will will decide together. I believe you are right, that I should keep to a swinging rather than a sliding door. This time I know it will be properly supported and installed and I did like the cleanliness when I had it. My previously poor instal should not put me off it permanently.


    About three or four months ago I revised my monthly budget, giving up a couple of things (including all dining out) in order to have a bi-weekly gardener and housecleaner. I loooove my housekeeper; she is so professional and thorough and I am pleased to support her independent business. She keeps the bathrooms spotless so I feel assured that between her detailed/picky and my maintenance cleaning this renovated one is going to stay extremely clean. Happiness is returning soon!

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Nothing to do with shower doors ......: )

    "I loooove my housekeeper; she is so professional and thorough and I am pleased to support her independent business."

    As one with a sister who has her own business in the same endeavor? I hope you tell her that, and at this time of the year, show her.

    It can be the smallest token of appreciation.

    This is a fairly grueling way to make a living. Five days a week of the dust, scrub, shine, mop, vacuum program. Not your OWN dust or grime - the grime of other people!

    Most self owned, one person cleaning businesses arise of need. Often a replacement for jobs that the economy no longer supports and were replaced by tech.

    As I say to her, you have only these things to sell. Energy, time, 100% reliability, integrity, and result.

    When someone cancels at the last minute, forgets to leave a check, continually asks for " a different day next week" or never acknowledges the "vapor woman" who left you the lovely - to - come - home - to - result, (often a pure miracle with the state of many homes these days)? It is quite dispiriting , I can assure you.

    If you are fortunate enough to have a gem as the OP described ? Tell her or him. A gift card, a batch of cookies, a bonus $$ at the holidays. Anything. You have no idea how far it goes, how much appreciated it will be.

    Merry Christmas to ALL of those who do that which you'd prefer not to do, or cannot do.!!

    Aphaea thanked JAN MOYER
  • 2 years ago

    You mentioned grab bars. Did your contractor install blocking behind the wall for those as well as for your shower door? If not, do not install the grab bars. Without proper blocking they are more of a fall risk than not having grab bars at all.


    Ditto to Jan’s comment. Everyone should pay and gift their cleaning people as much as you can afford. Their work really puts wear and tear on the body and few have good, if any, insurance or retirement benefits. Our cleaning woman charges what amounts to $75/hour. I know I could find a less expensive cleaning person, but I live in NYC and so does she. Her cost of living is high too. She works six days a week and sends every penny to her family. Her labor saves wear and tear on my joints for which I am very grateful. She told me yesterday that she has no friends because she works a solo job with no co-workers and hours too long for socializing in weekend or evenings. It broke my heart.



    Aphaea thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Ditto. Add isolation. ......and it is extremely hard for those who formerly enjoyed the camaraderie of an office, or corporate setting.

    Add the wear and tear on joints? Oh YES. A trip on the rug in a hurry to carry the vacuum to the guest bed, a full gainer face fall, broken thankfully by first hitting mattress edge , which took the skin off the nose and preceded the jarring face down fall onto the floor.

    Black beneath the eyes, thankfully still in possession of all her teeth: )

    Aphaea thanked JAN MOYER
  • 2 years ago

    Kendrah, yes, blocking was installed. Everything this time has been done right.


    Jan, I know Sayma started out here by working at a hotel. (Talk about hard!) She has excellent benefits and security because her husband has worked for our local school district for nearly 35 years. She is fortunate to have that. I know cleaning is hard, very, very hard and for the most part, unappreciated. But Sayma picks and chooses her clients. Unfortunately, she did get ripped off recently by one but for the most part she is content. She chooses her own hours and her choice of homes. She loves mine because she says it is so clean (that is, after the initial cleaning). I do not cancel nor do I change. We keep to Friday morning every other week. And she tracks her own hours and I always have a check for her. I am flexible and trusting and so is she.


    Alas, this bathroom mess forced me to take a loan from my credit union so a Christmas gifft/bonus was out out of the question. But ... I am a products reviewer and she absolutely loves getting those things, all new, all useful. She's not just saying that. So I treat her as best I can and support her and love her work. I did all my own cleaning up until a couple of years ago but I just cannot any more. Not enough anyway. I am fortunate in that I can adjust my budget--and thankful that Covid showed me that things I thought were important are not--so we are both happy. Maybe next year I can include a cash bonus for her!