Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Potting mix recs, please

mxk3 z5b_MI
4 months ago

I know this has been asked before, but looking for current recs for potting mix to use for seedling transplants. I've used a house brand from one of the local nurseries for a long time but the last handful of years haven't been happy with it, it seems to get surface mold much too quickly (didn't do that in the past) and I end up having to repot = double the work. I'm pretty careful not to overwater, and I've been at this a long time, I really do suspect something in the mix is different. So, would like to try a different potting mix for indoor seedling transplants. What do you recommend?

Comments (13)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Where can I get the Prox-Mix?

• callirhoe123
    4 months ago

You can find Pro-Mix at most garden centers and many hardware stores.

mxk3 z5b_MI thanked callirhoe123
  • zen_man
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Hi mxk3,

"Where can I get the Prox-Mix?"

In the absence of any info about where you are, you might try this link below. I agree with what Callirhoe123 said. Pro-Mix is widely available. I have a bale handy at all times. It is available in many "flavors" but I use the standard "General Purpose Usage".

Pro-Mix locator

ZM (another satisfied Pro-Mix user)

mxk3 z5b_MI thanked zen_man
  • diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

Another Pro-Mix user here. Like zen man, I always have a bale on hand year-round. I get mine at a local garden center/farm supply store.

:)

Dee

mxk3 z5b_MI thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • Deb
    3 months ago

I love Pro-Mix. Used to be that I could find it only at Garden Centers, but I spotted some at Wal-Mart this year.

mxk3 z5b_MI thanked Deb
  • beesneeds
    3 months ago

I get Pro-Mix at Menards. Big bale bags of it.

mxk3 z5b_MI thanked beesneeds
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 months ago

I like Pro-Mix PGX. It is a much finer product especially for tiny seeds. I found regular Pro-Mix a bit clunky last time I used it years ago.

mxk3 z5b_MI thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I got this BX one. Wasn't sure which to buy so went with the general purpose Zen mentioned above, plus I didn't want any extra fertilizer in it, which some of the varieties had. Ordered off A*n since the hardware stores don't have their stock in yet but I need it for seed starting and some other stuff I have to re-pot soon.

• zen_man
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Hi mxk3,

I got the plain stuff with no added extra ingredients. You got a bag with added Mycorrhizae https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/active-ingredients/#Mycorrhizae MYCORRHIZAE is in big letters, because it is not the same as the plain stuff.

No worry, unless a problem with eyesight and big letters. There are advantages to the added Mycorrhizae, but I preferred no added extra ingredients, except for a small amount of nutrients. If you use Pro-Mix with no addition of nutrients by you, you may eventually see the symptoms of a nutrient deficiency. The first deficiency I noticed was a Calcium deficiency, despite the small amount of Calcium that is in the mix.

ZM

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 months ago

" You got a bag with added Mycorrhizae"

That's not bad, is it? I didn't see just a plain one on A*n, but since I'm not familiar with the brand I might not have been looking for the right thing. I'll see what's available locally in season. As long as the Mycorrhizae aren't bad for seed starting and potting up transplants I'll go ahead and use it -- but if this additional fungal ingredient is bad for those purposes, I can relegate the two bags I got to mixing up potting mix for outside use during the season and buy something else for indoor seedling use.

• zen_man
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Hi mxk3,

" As long as the Mycorrhizae aren't bad for seed starting and potting up transplants I'll go ahead and use it -- "

It's not bad, and might even be good. I would avoid breathing the dust from it, which is good advice for any potting product.

ZM

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I finally got around to re-potting my cuttings into the Pro-Mix. I took the advice above and mixed in some perlite. The mix looked pretty good, but time will tell.