Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelli_ga

Does the rigid dryer vent need both foil tape AND clamps?

kelli_ga
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

I need to install a rigid dryer vent in the crawl space. I watched a DIY video that used both foil tape and clamps around the vent pipe connections. However a DIY forum indicates that the foil tape is enough.

The venting will be 10-12 feet, hopefully with just one elbow under the floor. It will strapped to the joists, but may not sit tight against the joists due to other stuff installed in the crawl space (which is encapsulated with dehumidifier). I will need to clean inside the vent with a flexible brush that goes through the vent pipes from the dryer entry point. The cleaning brush can be turned by a drill. I don’t remember if the outlet would need to be disconnected for cleaning. (It may have a screen and there are small animals in the area.)

I don’t want to go into the crawl space to check the dryer vent after it’s installed. (Service people check out the crawl space twice a year for other reasons.)

Should I use both clamps and foil tape to reinforce the dryer vent connections, especially for when they are cleaned? Is there anything else I should do about the outlet to the outside?

Comments (7)