Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_watson39

Need design help

Sarah Watson
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

We finally furnished our old homes long rectangular living room. we got a 10x16 rug at an esrate sale and the got a 100 inch couch and love seat. It feels off and i cant figure out why. i also read the coffee table should he 2/3 the length of the couch but there are no coffee tables that long. any advice? We have until next Friday to return them. Somethijg just feels off. i am wondering if we should have gone with a slightly shorter couch. we okan on putting two small chairs on the other empty side. And was thinking a glass tabel hut cant dijd one 2/3 100 inches

Comments (13)

• ollie2009
    3 months ago

I think it’s the light fixture that makes it look off! Remove or relocate light to center with an updated fixture.

Beautiful couches. Can you bring the couches further down on the rug? It looks like there’s a lot of extra rug off the couch and the back of the loveseat is barely on the rug. Or did you say you were putting two chairs on that side?

Looks like you have kids- No to the glass table. The fingerprints and smudges are endless!! It will never look clean.

Find a coffee table you love that’s close enough to scale. Add some end tables and lamps.

• bluemarble
    3 months ago

You might consider two square coffee tables. You could also have a smaller square with a rectangle or slightly "nested" tables where one is a little taller than the other and they overlap each other

• Sarah Watson
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Yes. the lighting the room is odd. There are actually two of those lights. they both are inike the first 1/4 and the last 1/4 of the room and nothing center. we just takked about moving it to just one larger center one. we could move both the couches closer probably. we thought about returning the love seat and doing a large upholstered chair there and then two smaller chairs or ottomans on the other side.

• Sarah Watson
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you

• Yvonne Martin
    3 months ago

The couches are beautiful. 2/3 of 100 is 66.7 inches, so a 66 or 72 inch coffee table wiil be what you need. There are many available.

• ollie2009
    3 months ago

I’d definitely keep the loveseat and move them down for now. Then look for either two chairs or a chair with ottoman. I’d switch the pillows too. Mix and match using colors from the beautiful rug. Use an odd number. 5 on couch and 3 on loveseat.

• Emily
    3 months ago

The styles go together but the furniture grouping is not centered on the rug, which makes it off balance. Can you slide the rug so the loveseat doesn’t fall on the border of the rug. Is painting the walls a possibility. If so I’d paint them off- white color in the rug including the molding so there is no contrast on the walls. Third, I’d add pillows in some of the colors from the rug and tie the furniture to rug.

• Molly
    3 months ago

Can the rug move to the right so the furniture is more centered around the middle of the rug?

• blfenton
    3 months ago

If your couch is 100" including the arms then measure just the cushions. And then find something between 2/3 of that measurement and the 66". This isn't something that's written in stone.

I do think that the arms of the couches are too close together. You need some breathing room between them.

Can we see the other end of the room. The couches are also oddly perched on the rug. Move the bigger one down (away from the tree) and back and then reset the smaller couch so that it isn;t on the border.

• chloe00s
    3 months ago

Could you perhaps put a square end table in the corner where the two couches come together? And then put a lamp there for some ambient light. I would also definitely replace the ceiling lights, even if you don’t move them.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

Great rug, nice room. Keep the long sofa, return the love seat. Two people never sit together on them. Might as well just have a chair instead.

I feel like there is another obstacle that we are not seeing off camera. More room pics please.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 months ago

Nice room with nice architectural features. However, the color on the walls isn't working with the rug. Neither are the throw pillows. Also the molding is too much of a contrast with the wall color. I'd repaint the room all in one color.

And yes, more photos would help, as would a drawing with measurements including windows and doorways.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Get rid of the xmas tree, take pics all four angles of the room , please .

A little sketch with the walls, windows the doorway, feet and inches? That is helpful too. Very !