Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renaissance_man9

Viking vs Wolf range

Renaissance Man
3 months ago

So I need to eventually replace my appliances. Home is dual fuel for electric and gas and looking at high end appliances. Trying to decide between Viking and Wolf for dual fuel gas range and also between Sub-Zero vs Viking refrigerator. Dish washer is ok but want to replace my Bosch dishwasher as well and new microwave. Thoughts?

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

IMO Bosch still makes the best DWs for sure. I hink Wolf and SZ are over rated and over priced . As for how to buy a range you think about how you cook . Gas ranges are great but I like an all gas range I do have electric wall ovens but still like some things baked in a gas oven like pizza , bread for sure . A fridge for me has to be able to stroe things I use like a ton of veggies need strorage space much more than meat for instance. I have a Bertazzoni 36" 6 burner ( one is a wok burner ) all gas range I love it . I have had mine for 16 yrs , I run a catering biz from my home and have never had a service call. My fridge is actully a fridgedaire all fridge all frzer columns with buitin kit it cost $3500.00 16 yrs ago still keeping proper temp and nothing fancy for torage but perfect for how I live I think mnay people buy appliances that cost a fortune to impress someone else. My advice go check out many different brands to see what works best for you . BTW nither company you are thinking of makes all applainces well. This is why I always advise my clients to go plain old stainless steel for all since there is no maker that makes everything well. MWs to me are always throw awy at some point so I prefer to not have a built in one.

• wdccruise
    3 months ago

Viking does not manufacture its refrigerators. For example the following 36" French Door refrigerators are the same with minor exceptions:

• Renaissance Man
    Original Author
    3 months ago

@Patricia Colwell so what gas range brand would you recommend? I like gas a lot more for cooking than electric as BTU get much higher for wok cooking for example. I will keep my Bosch dishwasher and look at Sub zero refrigerator and Viking, Wolf, Thermador and Miele gas ranges.

• HU-227031627
    3 months ago

I would not buy a Viking anything.

• Renaissance Man
    Original Author
    3 months ago

@wdccruise I am not paying $10 to find a good gas range

• wdccruise
    3 months ago

"I am not paying $10 to find a good gas range"

You're right. It doesn't make sense to spend $10 for the results of tests of products, one of which will cost you thousands of dollars.

• vinmarks
    3 months ago

If wok cooking is important look at Bluestar. It has integrated wok cooking. You remove the grate and the wok sits right in close to the flame.

• jck910
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

go to your public library and borrow it for free

You won't spend on new cabinets but you're looking at Viking, SubZero, etc appliances??

Best place for new cabinet doors and hardware (houzz.com)

• Renaissance Man
    Original Author
    2 months ago

wolf seems like the one

• Kate Cowers
    2 months ago

Wolf range have one duel fuel 36 inch love it SubZero fridge french door bottom freezer love it Patricia hates both Wolf and SZ her response is totally predictable when anyone asks about them Agree Bosch dishwasher have one of those too love it as well! Dont bother with Viking

• AtelierQ
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

As I mentioned elsewhere, I installed a 36 inch Wolf DF range (DF36450G/S/P, i.e., the "new" model) about 18 months ago. I have used it a ton and couldn't be happier with it. I considered Bluestar but Wolf has a much better service network in my area. Also have the Bosch 800 series DW and likewise very happy with it. And the $10 CR subscription won't really get you reviews of high end appliances (which are strangely hard to come by). ETA: we also have the Bosch 800 series french door fridge which is excellent--couldn't justify SZ in our home and we're really happy with this.

• Renaissance Man
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I do like the open burner feature for wok cooking on the Bluestar but poor customer service reviews turn me off. Subzero and Wolf look great.

• Paul F.
    2 months ago

@Kate Cowers I'm looking at CR right now and I see the rating for high end appliances. It looks like the ratings are all over the map by door type with the refrigerators... for example the SZ tops the single door frig with the pull out bottom freezer. However Dacor tops the french door frig with SZ substantially below Decor and even a notch below Thermador. Plenty of high end dual fuel ranges on there too.

As for Patricia, she may say Wolf and SubZero are over-rated but she'd be yelling "No, they aren't!" at thousands of people on Consumer Reports who own them and say they are great and that is just foolish. My problem with Sub-Zero is the lack of innovation with their interiors. Dacor and Thermador interiors are dazzling. Sub-Zero is incredibly boring inside.

• Lynn Fuller
    2 months ago

Someone on another post mentioned a good link. I do have Consumer Reports but I also like the in depth reviews on this link & it’s free: https://reviewed.usatoday.com/appliances

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

@Lynne Fuller: "I also like the in depth reviews on this link & it’s free: https://reviewed.usatoday.com/appliances"

Note that it only tested four of the eleven ranges listed and it's not clear what tests were performed on those four.

• Lynn Fuller
    2 months ago

While the decision has been focused on ranges, I do believe the original question mentioned “appliances”. I also did note that I subscribe to CR so am good. It’s a suggestion for OP. He can take it/leave it. I found the site very helpful while shopping for new appliances myself.

• Kate Cowers
    2 months ago

Paul F: somehow I never thought the inside of a refrigerator should be dazzling. It's a refrigerator, for Pete's sake. Shelves, drawers, white....keep the food cold.....good for me!

I get the CR magazine but have never found their website to be friendly. They can be behind the times of reviewing newer products. And I resent having to pay extra to look in depth at things.

• Paul F.
    2 months ago

"And I resent having to pay extra to look in depth at things." Two great quotes out of one thread!

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

@Paul F: "And I resent having to pay extra to look in depth at things." Two great quotes out of one thread!"

Well, remember that America is the land of the free!

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

@Kate Cowers: "You have a subscription, you go to their website to check on something you are considering as a purchase, and they charge you more money to get into their "reviews".

No, it doesn't work that way. If you have any digital subscription, you have access to all the content. If you have only the magazine (paper) subscription, you can add all the digital content for $25/year, you know $2/month.

• Kate Cowers
    2 months ago

Dont have digital subsciption dont want digital subscription aint paying more. It‘s another junk fee that everyone and their brothers are charging these days

• AC M
    2 months ago

Paul, if you spend too much time admiring the “dazzling” interior of your refrigerator, it won’t be able to fulfill its purpose very well—keeping your food cold.

• Paul F.
    2 months ago

Yeah, yeah... Dacor, Thermador french door rates higher than SZ so no need to stay rooted in the 1980's design. Time to move on.

BTW, you're in a design forum so don't suggest that I shouldn't be concerned about design.

• Kate Cowers
    2 months ago

@wd and PaulF; nice try. I'm not a poor thing at all. Home Depot is

crap. You feel differently? Good for you. I disagree. I will stick to that thought process forever. I don't have a job, I retired several years ago so that argument flies out the window.

Consumer Reports makes plenty of money off their subscription fees and is always crying "poor" to get you to add-on things like digital fees, etc. Could I just not subscribe anymore? Sure. Might come to that when this current subscription period expires.

I don't "peddle" anything anymore than others in this forum who spout off about how much they dislike this or that brand, or this or that design.

Yes, to each his/her own. You look at what you like, research however you wish, and buy what you decide on. If it turns out that you love it and it works for you, that's all that matters.

Thank you, AC M.

No further comments if you feel the need to continue to "bring it on"!