Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Feb. Car wash?!!??

Faron79
2 months ago

Hello from NON-Winter Fargo ND!!
It is SO bizarre here!!!!
Last year, we had a LOT of snow ❄️❄️❄️, & COLD weather. THIS year.....there's hardly ANY of the white stuff! 🥶😲😬❄️
We had some snow/ice around Christmas, but that's been about it.
Now.....there's basically NO snow in town. There's been many days now of above freezing weather. We're flirting with near-record highs lately in most of ND/MN/SD. It's 38F now in Fargo. Last year, 38 would've been a tremendously nice day! 😲😲😲
Because it's been such a non-winter & warm......I've been BUCKET-WASHING my car in the driveway!!! The streets have been mainly dry for a few days, & my car looked so horrendous during our Jan. warmup.
The neighbors & passers-by have probably been looking at me, & shaking their heads! I make 3 or 4 trips in/out with a 5gal pail of warm water. I'm one of those guys who avoids the "Tunnel-washes" like the PLAGUE. Now that I'm good at Car-polishing, I can't STAND the swirls in the clear-coat. Only TOUCHLESS &/ or Driveway washes for this cat!!
Last year, I don't think there were dry streets until LATE April!
Faron

Comments (13)

• bpath
    2 months ago

And with less road salt out, it’s easier to clean the undercarriage of the car! Add a year of life to it!

• sheesh
    2 months ago

Faron, forgive me, but i cant remember what SD Uni you root for, and also for not responding to your post :-)

• blfenton
    2 months ago

In Maple Creek, Saskatchewan they broke a record high record a couple of days ago for the warmest day in January. It reached 21C (70F) which broke the previous record of 14C (57F). Pretty sure like you, they wonder what the heck is going on. While it's nice not to be freezing, it isn't a good thing for the moisture required in the spring.

• deegw
    2 months ago

Hi Faron! That's a little disturbing for the summer fire season. My friend in MT was lamenting the lack of snow and warm temps. They like to ski and have barely skied this winter.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    2 months ago

Most snowless winter here in Ohio I've ever experienced. I recall blizzard conditions towards the end of January most every year. However, I know we'll probably get at least one big snowfall in March. Won't last long tho.

• nicole___
    2 months ago

Hello Faron!

We're expecting 8" today, here in Colorado. We had sub zero temps a few weeks back. Same 'ol, same 'ol. Sending you thoughts-wishes of a heavy snow....

• gsciencechick
    2 months ago

Yeah we washed the daily drivers last weekend. It’s been cold and also super rainy but no snow since it’s too warm. If we are to get snow, it often happens in February, but as the month goes on, that is less likely.

I use a ”waterless” car cleaner for the Mustang.

• barncatz
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

It has been so warm and dry for so long here in western WI that even the most ardent climate warming deniers are feeling a bit weirded out. Everyone is saying "Not complaining, ha ha" extremely anxiously.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    2 months ago

It's pretty misty here in Fargo today. That's because I finished washing my car yesterday aft! 😜🤬😬 I think we're at only 36 deg.

Faron

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 months ago

Faron, we get only occasional snow but much much rain and unpleasant weather out here on the coast. DH will always wash his truck and sometimes my car weekly - my car doesn't see the same heavy use as his truck 😊😊

He thinks it normal, everyone in his family does the same. Like you, he'd curl up and die at the thought of a commercial car wash.

I was introduced to a woman at a lunch one day, brief light conversation followed with her that ended by her asking - then is that your husband I see in the street in rain gear washing his truck? I had to admit it was.

If you were to ask him, he would say 'of course I keep it clean. It's practically my rolling office. Why would I want to get into a dirty truck every day of the week....'

• Lars
    2 months ago

We're getting snow above 5,000 feet elevation, and the temperatures in the L.A. basin are 10° below normal at 59° instead of our normal 69°. Because it is raining, the low temperatures are around 50°, which is normal for this time of year, but our highs are way below. Fortunately in my neighborhood there has not been much wind, but that is not the case for other parts of the city.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Lars-

Hope you're safe from the monsoon situation?!

Was gonna bucket-wash the Wife's Black-Metallic Regal.....it's Sooooooo dirty!! But....on Thursday into Friday, we'll have a sloppy rain/snow event mucking up everything!

Faron