Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catfriendly_rug

Help me pick a cat-friendly bedroom rug

CatFriendly Rug
2 months ago

I am renting this place. I just got the essential furniture for my BR, and it is cold in the North, so now I need to find a rug that is (1) cat-friendly and (2) cleaning-friendly.

(3) Style and colors?: I am new to this. I moved here for studying, so something not too distracting but not depressing, and that ties in the wall, bedding, and floor colors?

Any advice, mockup, or online store links will be welcomed. Thank you!!

Comments (24)

• Jennz9b
    2 months ago

If you google rugs direct you will see that they have a cool feature that lets you insert any rug into a photo of your room. its kind of fun to play with.

CatFriendly Rug thanked Jennz9b
  • marmiegard_z7b
    2 months ago

You may want to be able to machine wash any rug. Even if need to use a Laundromat. But depends on what you mean by “ cat- friendly “— hairballs? ( Cats love to go to carpet to gack up a hairball). Or, does your cat sometimes target rug instead of litter box? Or, just need to vacuum up cat hair?

Hence I would not get a room- sized rug, & nothing under bed at all. More like a couple of smallish “ scatter rugs. You may get suggestions for Ruggables— I haven’t tried.

Or you could get small washable synthetic rugs from places like Target. Or some bath rugs are available in less bath-mat type colors & prints.

CatFriendly Rug thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

You could begin with less "depressing" bedding?

Then pick an indoor outdoor rug that complements.

How do you sit at that desk, you can barely fit in, and how do you see with no lamp?

Start with NOT gray?

Google up some bedrooms you really like and post below.

CatFriendly Rug thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

What do you consider cat friendly? I think any rug that has to go under the bed will not be ideal so why not just 2 nice large size washable rugs one for each side of the bed.Maove the desk to the end of the bed or maybe turn the bed the desk really does not lopk useable where it is . Post pics of the whole spce here in a comment DO NOT start another post .I agree the bedding is kind of boring but it is for a short time so I probably would not look for new.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

Measure the room, and get the biggest rug you can afford that has blues and purples in it. Not washable, just low pile and easy to vacuum. A throw for the bed and a couple decorative pillows, and a lamp for the desk.

CatFriendly Rug thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • bouncy5
    2 months ago

Cats are more likely to to scratch anything with much texture, so I would look for something with on the smoother side .

CatFriendly Rug thanked bouncy5
  • CatFriendly Rug
    Original Author
    2 months ago

My roommate's cat likes my room, so I must consider it when getting a rug. 😂 To sum-up yes, something low-pile and easy to clean would do (for the cat). Now for me, what I want is a rug that will brighten and warm up the space. This is new to me, so any rug suggestions or mock-ups for placement would be appreciated.

• Lorraine Leroux
    2 months ago

I have purchased a few from Amazon that are very flat pile, printed pattern, non slip and washable. They look great and wash up great. The ones I have are from Topotdor.

CatFriendly Rug thanked Lorraine Leroux
  • Maureen
    2 months ago

I don’t think a rug alone will help very much and with a cat, it can be a nuisance (I have two). If it were me, I’d spend the money elsewhere for more impact and head to Ikea for light duvet cover/shams, art and a light for your desk; items below cost less than $200.

On another note, have your tried any other layout? I’d be double tasking the desk as a nightstand/trying improve functionality.

CatFriendly Rug thanked Maureen
  • Brett
    2 months ago

Something that is not wool. Our boy loves wool rugs (probably good claw feel), but ignores non-wool ones.

CatFriendly Rug thanked Brett
  • jackowskib
    2 months ago

My cats seem to claw low pile rugs but don’t bother low pile carpet. Perhaps you can get a carpet remnant for the space.

CatFriendly Rug thanked jackowskib
  • apple_pie_order
    2 months ago

Ask your landlord if they will install wall to wall carpet for you (and buy it for you) You never know until you ask. If the answer is no, look for a carpet remnant at a local carpet shop as Jackowskib suggested above. They can bind the edges for you (ask for a price). You'll need the measurements of your room. Carpet is usually 12 feet wide, so this is awkward to take with you when you leave. There are inexpensive low pile carpet rolls where carpet is sold cut to length at big box stores. Look for the kind made with its own foam (padding) backing on it.

Alternatively, look for three rugs - one to fit on each side and the end of the bed. Ikea, Target and big box stores will stock them.

CatFriendly Rug thanked apple_pie_order
  • Maureen
    2 months ago

Ikea rug if intetested.

CatFriendly Rug thanked Maureen
  • partim
    2 months ago

You mention wanting a rug because it's cold in the North. I recommend warm slippers and thick wool socks. A big thick rug is expensive, and small thin washable rugs won't keep you warm.

CatFriendly Rug thanked partim
  • Paul F.
    2 months ago

The cat likes you so improve the design for him, if not you.

CatFriendly Rug thanked Paul F.
  • tozmo1
    2 months ago

How adventuresome are you feeling? If you love a surprise for this rented space, you could get random pattern outlet FLOR carpet tiles. It's a random assortment of styles but the beauty of it is the majority of them are low pile and if there is an accident that can't be cleaned, you can replace that tile with some of the spares you've ordered. If you want to invest a bit more, then select one of the regular FLOR styles and you can shape your own size, be guaranteed the low pile and replace squares as needed.

The real key for living with cats is a great vacuum cleaner. A cleaning professional friend highly recommends this Dyson. She uses hers every day for long periods of time and it lasts and lasts and does the job.

CatFriendly Rug thanked tozmo1
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

No !!! cleaning professional should be using a Dyson.

Any good rug, and especially a wool? Will be ruined with a far too aggressive machine that sucks nails from the floor. That tidbit ? is courtesy of the broad loom industry of fine wools and nylons.

That said, this is a student in a rental needing fuzzy warm socks, and a Swiffer . : ) and better bedding selection.

The landlord isn't going to paint, isn't going to buy wall to wall carpet, and sure as hell the op doesn't need a horse of a vacuum cleaner : )

CatFriendly Rug thanked JAN MOYER
  • tozmo1
    2 months ago

At one time I had four cats and two dogs (must have been a sign visible only by critters that said, "Need a home? Show up here) and I would have loved a vacuum cleaner that sucked nails from the floor. 😂

CatFriendly Rug thanked tozmo1
  • apple_pie_order
    2 months ago

We can help with recommendations if you tell us your budget for current changes.

CatFriendly Rug thanked apple_pie_order
  • HU-227031627
    2 months ago

You should probably get a scratching post or one of those cardboard shoe box looking things for scratching.

CatFriendly Rug thanked HU-227031627
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

Since you are a student and moved to the area for studying, I’ll assume you want to invest the minimum in decor.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Madison-Cleo-Bohemian-Eclectic-Navy-Ivory-Area-Rug-23-x-6-Runner/25726388/product.html?opre=1&option=55617488

I just googled blue and purple area rug 8x 10. It’s $134. Presidents Day is close, so lots of sales!

CatFriendly Rug thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • CatFriendly Rug
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Possibilities...

• Paul F.
    2 months ago

CatFriendly Rug thanked Paul F.
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews