Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ad16

Small living room space. HELP

ad16
2 months ago

I would like to add two accent chairs in this room….need the seating ….it is one large room with kitichen overlooking and a table in front of the window…..BUT i would like to define the living room space. need ideas…..thinking of keeping color uniform with couch ?? and accents I would like to pick up blues in the rug…..everything i seen seems too big also trying to be somewhat budget friendly :) thank you

Comments (25)

• Yvonne Martin
    2 months ago

We need a floor plan to see how much room there might be for additional chairs.

• PRO
    Glenn Rose Interiors
    2 months ago

Do you have dimensions of the space?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Layout options.

You've made some really fine selections for the room except a few items just don't fit the style

The TV is mounted too high on the wall

I'd install some drapery panels on the wall with the French doors to soften the room and help with acoustics.

It's difficult to place art behind the sofa with the brass framed mirror next to it.

That tray on the ottomans is not working for the room and is precarious. Select an over the ottoman panel table that can slide down as required

ad16 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • L.D. Johnson
    2 months ago

A view of the kitchen and table area would help as well. It looks like you have a chair at the head of the table. Do you have room to consider two compact upholstered chairs at the head and foot, which you could pull into the living room when needed as extra seating?

ad16 thanked L.D. Johnson
  • ad16
    Original Author
    2 months ago

You show gray chairs…..not a fan of gray is beige ok??

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

I suspect these chairs would not appear this bright in your lighting. I like this chair style with your couch. Maybe you can find a similar chair in beige.

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

Art is another way to tie in all the colors in your room.

ad16 thanked ffpalms
  • elcieg
    2 months ago

You certainly can add two smaller chairs on the rug. I like this style with its open back. It's a swivel which lends itself to work for conversation and t v watching. Do you have a Home Goods near you? I saw two matching, just like this one for $299.00 each, this week. I would have scooped them up but don't need any more chairs.

ad16 thanked elcieg
  • ffpalms
    2 months ago

In love the way this vibrant blue energizes the room!

ad16 thanked ffpalms
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

Is there a deep navy in the rug?

ad16 thanked RedRyder
  • ad16
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Not really navy….but ddep blue and cobalt blue…(which is the one I really like) think couch and chairs need to be same color group?

• L.D. Johnson
    2 months ago

I think accent color in chairs would be lovely. You can carry the color back to the couch with pillows.

ad16 thanked L.D. Johnson
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

If you have a small room, the chairs need to feel “airy” and not too bulky. Here are three in your blue that might fit the space well.

• coray
    2 months ago

I like the chairs in Red’s first pic….though the color in the 2nd pic is a bit softer.

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

One feature that will make things easier is to pick chairs that will slide easily on rug ..not too heavy and legs not too sharp

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

Some of my suggestions have also been suggested by others above.

- Turn your 2 ottomans around and I'm quite sure you'll be able to find an ottoman table to fit your ottomans (they are also sold separately)

- Remove the brass mirror and replace the corner lamp with something more substantial with a shade and find a large print in neutrals that you like for above the sofa

- Lower the TV

- I show linen side drapes for you french doors

- 2 armchairs in light beige/off-white that coordinates with the fabric of your sofa. I think a dark colour would be too stark with your existing decor

ad16 thanked lisedv
  • ad16
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Love it…..i would like to use the mirror somewhere…..adjacent to tv???? or where clock is ????

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

I would need to see a photo full front view of all 4 walls to see where the mirror can go. I doubt you have space for it where the clock is if you're installing side drapes.

• lynartist
    2 months ago

Pretty room. Not being able to see the adjoining space it’s hard to tell what other colors you may like. The rug is beautiful though. I added a couple chairs in lighter colors as your room has a softness to it. Not sure how you feel about about armless chairs; they can be useful in smaller spaces. It depends on how much use they will get.

ad16 thanked lynartist
  • jackowskib
    2 months ago

Is there room for the gold mirror to hang at the opposite end of the sofa above the end table there? I see the connection to gold there.

ad16 thanked jackowskib
  • ad16
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Love the idea of my gold mirror over end table it is black trimmed in gold i do have a very nostalgic print hanging there but perhaps i could relocate it or put mirror where clock is thankyou

• ad16
    Original Author
    2 months ago

BIG QUESTION can i leave mirror where it is and still use art oabove couch ???

• Andee
    2 months ago

Is that a hallway to the left of where the clock is now? If so, there may be room for the mirror there. If you do decide to put the mirror in a traffic area, be sure it is secured to the wall.

I'd play around with the softer blue chairs idea. They will bring your rug and room to greater life. It is not unusual to see a blue/red rug, and a mix of white and blue furniture. My LR, for example. :-)

ad16 thanked Andee
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

Th lighter blue or gold chairs also work well.

ad16 thanked RedRyder