Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charmar77

Fireplace Tile Choice

Char Martin
last month

We are planning to build a fireplace with a rectangle shape electric fireplace and tv above. We are trying to decide if we should go dark tile or lighter. We are keeping the carpet and all the furniture will be replaced. I have attached a photo of the sectional that we ordered. What are your thoughts on the tile?

Comments (21)

• J Mig
    last month

Hi, on my monitor, the light tile does not go well with the paint color. The dark tile gives you some nice contrast. Is there a possibility that the sectional is a bit big for the space? It looks like it from the photos, but of course, photos are deceiving.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

The width of the sectional is just under the length of the area carpet. It is a large space. Do you think the dark would look good? How would we bring it all together if we choose the dark?

The lighter one pucks up on some of the warmer colours we have. Like the couch and the carpet. But the wall is a gray and the tile is a warmer colour.

• susan49417
    last month

Do the legs stick out from the sectional as seen in the picture? If so, it looks really unattractive and I think you could do better.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

On the photo I attached the legs look like they really stick out. They aren't quite like that in real life. The legs will be a light oak colour. We have already ordered the sectional.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

The measurements of the sectional.

We have a growing family so we need room to relax.

• Andee
    last month

It is just so hard to tell with such small samples and no fireplace. I think you will like the contrast of the surround if you go with the darker. If you use light, and with all your light furniture and paint, there is going to be "fighting" going on among all of them.

What will your mantel be? And the size of the fireplace and the amount of stone surrounding it? I think all of this should be considered. And search photos on Houzz.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month
    last modified: last month

Do you have a inspo pic of what you want the fireplace to look like?

hows the rest of the room laid out?

right now the wall color is giving off a lavender gray tone. what is the name of the color?

doesn't really work w/this color sofa.

why only two samples? it would be better if you could get the sofa in the house first, then get the proper paint color on the wall, if needed, and then choose the tile.

you could try something like this

small floating bench on one side. this is a cement or plaster, but tile would be similar (all the way up of course)

or, here's the dark option w/a small white oak built in cab/shelves w/a sconce. this would look nice to the right of your fireplace. (hard to tell because I can't see the whole room)

I like this design too. do a linear basalt tile all the way up, put in a floating hearth, put the tv on the wall (on either side

you also need some darker items or wood/greenery for warmth.

This would be a better options (both color-wise and shape-wise. any way to look for something like this?

Then, I'd do something like these for the coffee table.

and bring in an accent chair

looks good w/a dark tile

more neutral options.

With this I'd try the darker tile option and redo the walls in a soft white or even a light neutral gray, or a light sage.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

I would go dark on fireplace stone. More dramatic with linear fireplace. Plus, good contrast with whatever light color you choose for sectional. Just add a few dark accessories and some touches black in a light rug and it will all look cohesive.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

The wall does give off a lavender colour in the photo. It doesn't at all in real life. It is sico freezing rain. It is a very neutral gray. Not warm or cool.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

This is the design we are thinking. Not sure about a mantel yet.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

I like that look.

I'm unsure about your sofa choice though, specifically the curve design and the color.

that tile/stone you have posted looks very modern. but the other elements in the room do not.

Have you considered that?

What if you did a dark, slate-like tile?

I really like this one too. XL tiles set like this, w/a small built in off to the side.

built in TV spot. I'd do a wood hearth

or something like this?

If you like the dark option, similar to the one above

I really like this one too. could you do a partial inset book case off to the right?

you could do the wood or similar material on the upper part, and a tile for the surround.

did you see some of the pics I posted? looks like you want to lighten up the space.

what if you did something like this on that wall?

similar vaulted ceiling. love the beam. I also like this fireplace design. zellige tile w/wood trim/panels above the mantle. if you can swing the shelving or built-in one side, great!

Nice space you have! and I love all that snow!

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

The couch is a custom order. And we also ordered a small barrel style chair. I have attached the colour swatches.

The carpet has some of the congac colour in it. I was thinking of bringing out some light wood tones. I have alot of darker wood in the diningroom and the kitchen island.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

very nice. looks better than what you showed earlier. nice w/the dark floors.

I added some more pics and edited my comment above if you could reread. see what you like.

but w/the swatch you posted, I like this

and adore this antelope rug! perfect color combos w/your sofa/chair and if you did the fireplace like shown in that first pic

photoshop w/the colors

I like this design too^, but would do a natural white oak built in off to the side.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

I like the slate one!

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

My husband doesn't want any shelves. 😊

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

lol, ok, scratch the shelves. maybe a nice piece of art and a small bench?

or a small console table w/art above it,

(it's hard to find one w/o shelves or a bookcase! )

(ignore the fireplaces on these, this is just to show whats on the side)

or a mirror?

I like this kind of tile and design too. what do you think about a smaller tile option?

or, what about this layout on that wall? putting the tv off to the side?

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

I dont think we will need anything beside the fireplace if we go all the way to where the wall juts out to about a foot from the arch... We have a 60" fireplace ordered and will have a large tv.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

We picked up a black slate sample.

We like it. If we go this route we could bring some warmth in with a light wood mantel.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

I like that stone. Just don’t hang the TV too high. Sit on sofa looking at that wall and put a piece of painter tape where you eye naturally lands. That’s best viewing height.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    last month

We are going with a dark slate tile. Now we need to decide if we do a mantel.

Just not sure if the tv would get too high if we have a mantel.

• HU-910663146
    last month

I'd go dark and keep the current furniture

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH