Software
Houzz Logo Print
chandraclewley

Organic Modern (ish) Inspo needed for my dining room, please

2 years ago

I’m kind of at a loss for what to add to my dining room.
I’m targeting “organic modern” adjacent with earthy additions (natural stone, metals, fabrics and textures in monochromatic neutral warm tones)

First, yes, I am getting the chairs recovered or replaced but I’m in search of:

  1. Rug ideas
  2. Lighting ideas
  3. Fabric ideas for the chairs
  4. Wall ideas (mirrors will likely be sold)
  5. Do I add another piece of furniture to the big wall for more storage or will it look too busy?
  6. Color ways (browns and earth tones?)
  7. Tall plants to add possibly

Any ideas? Thank you!! 🙏

Comments (17)

  • 2 years ago

    A couple more photos

  • 2 years ago

    Hi Chandra - saw your post looking for ”dinning” room advice - I looked to see if you were serious & see that indeed you are! So, a question - what’s on the other 2 walls or sides of this room? Is there a window across from long wall? Looks like the wall opposite the console & mirror might be open to another room. The chairs look really comfortable - have you looked at a fabrics to get an idea of style you like? Are you open to changing the light? Asking because you said you’re targeting organic modern & earthy tones. The table is modern but the light, mirror & wall art IMO are not.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you! To answer some of the above:

    -yes I will get the chairs recovered and already have a quote - considering changing them out as well but they are soooo comfortable that I think recovering them in beige or tan will do the trick

    • the mirrors are on their way out, as well as the light fixture. Ideally I’d like a earthier chandelier type light over the table - maybe copper or brass Japandi paper, something to tie it all together.

    • the other two openings are completely open to the living room and to a kitchen we plan to remodel in the next few years

    Here are some ideas I’ve seen for the big wall (with the white mirror on it now). I’m not sure it would work for the space but either have built ins made or purchased two curios with a modern console between? I’m a bit confused because I’m not sure how much wood is too much wood and if I can mix wood finishes?

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    You have a large pretty room to work with!

    Have you considered some sort of paintable wainscot/paneling on one or all walls? Lots of choices with wainscot/paneling height and paint choices. Or perhaps add something to the ceiling.









  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Nice big room! If it were me, I would focus on fewer things but large in scale to keep the space feeling airy - a few ideas:

    a large piece of fiber art along the large back wall would really set the tone for the room (that’s where I would spend my money)


    agree a rug would go a long way



    If budget is an issue - I would get a larger rice paper lantern for over the table (maybe not quite this large lol)



    It would be such a budget saver if you didn’t have to recover the chairs - i would be tempted to get short white cotton duck slip covers made for them

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Chandra, You said both walls not shown are open to other rooms - a kitchen you plan to remodel & a living room. Will you please add a pic of each of those rooms taken from a point of sitting in this dining room? Reason I ask is that the colors & finishes of rooms should connect or flow together. I think some of your color, fabric & texture decisions need to be made with the living room especially in mind. What are dimensions of table & the dining room? I can’t tell if the table is centered under the light or in the room. Your question of adding another piece of furniture on the big wall for more storage is partially dependent on those dimensions. And, the question of a rug under table depends on that too. The chairs on that long wall side need room to be pulled out for sitting & still stay on the rug. What’s the size of the cabinet you do have at the one end of room? I agree with Paul F about the console needing a change but I think the style of it goes well with the table - the rounded edges. The color is what I think is off. Can the console be refinished? I think a huge piece of art on the long wall would add life to the room. Since you’re leaning organic style wise maybe a simple landscape would be nice. Or, a coastal view depending on your location, Another thought - table dimenisions are important when considering the size and shape of light to add.

  • 2 years ago

    Your dining room is a clean slate -- you can do anything!

    1) Decide on the paint color. Dark or Light? Consider dark for a more intimate style, highlighting colorful art and chair fabric. I always paint ceilings Benjamin Moore Decorators White, as it is a pure white and brightens the room no matter what color walls.

    2) The chairs:

    - Paint the legs and arms black or very dark brown to update the style.

    - When upholstering, have your fabricator wrap the fabric on the upper part of the wood around the chair back - again to update.

    - There are so many fabrics to choose from, my suggestion is to decide on a paint color and coordinate a printed fabric. Be creative with the fabric by using a different fabrics. See the pic below with the Ikat fabric with natural linen below. I'm not a big fan of nailheads, consider a thin welt instead.

    I'm in the process of painting an art mural (by artist Skylar Hughes) in the dining room for a client. See below.

    For the buffet:

    Add sconces and colorful art. Remove the lamp. Note the sconces should coordinate with the chandelier.

    Consider a large statement for a chandelier, even two since your table is large.

    Again, depending on the wall color, the rug can be a simple monotone or a vintage persian rug.

    V V V Dark wall, art above buffet

    V V V Modern mural

    V V V Large chandelier, coordinating sconces, focus on dining chairs fabric and black legs

    V V V Dining chairs, black legs, natural linen wrapped frame, Ikat fabric on chair back and front

    V V V Vintage Persian rug, colorful art, impressive chandelier

    V V V Double chandelier


  • PRO
    2 years ago

    The table and chairs suggest a chilly board room. Perhaps don't put too much effort, or money into the chairs, no matter the comfort as comfort comes in many forms.

    Your inspo's ? Maybe spend some time clarifying your feel.








  • 2 years ago

    It's always ok to work with what you have. The dining chairs can take on a new look, even if you just change the fabric and paint the walls. Interior designers can envision what a room could look like with their expertise and creativity.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I am an interior designer : ) I am all for reinvention when merited.

    I am also one who prefers not having a client waste their resources.

    Certainly paint the walls, yes to a new light. Would I waste effort on the chairs? No. Sell them.

    There is nothing organic about the table. Live with it and watch the consignment shops.

    Paint your own art! Get a rug!

    Just don't burn money when that is limited.

  • 2 years ago

    A designer designs. Telling someone to trash their belongings when you don't know their situation is a waste of what they own already. This resource is for constructive advice.

    Paint your own art? haha Go to a local art show and support your artist community.

  • 2 years ago

    Following….this is interesting

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Nothing organic about the table? With those curves? Google Wabi Sabi dining table.


  • PRO
    2 years ago

    With no more input from the op how can we possibly help except to post a million pics of whatever .

  • 2 years ago

    Apologies for the delay, I am traveling for work.

    I do have some inspiration but it has been exceedingly difficult to find what I am looking for because I believe the style is a bit “forward looking” and most everything I see has a mid-century feel which I am avoiding.

    The wabi sabi table is definitely the flavor I am interested in and I definitely think I can make it work. I actually own modern white chairs but have not put them in yet to see how they look. I’ll update when home and I switch them out.

  • 2 years ago

    Here’s some more inspo photos