Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahhleena

Need help picking backsplash !!

Elina R
last month

There are 5 unique backsplash options. Which number do you like best?

Comments (70)

• cpartist
    last month
    last modified: last month

You already have a floor tile that is too busy and does NOT go with your gorgeous counters and you want to add a third pattern for the backsplash? NO!!!!

Pick a plain ceramic tile that picks up one of the colors in the counter (like herbflavor or rebunky shows) and then get some rugs to hide that white busy floor with the fake marble pattern. Your gorgeous counter should have been the only star.

Another question is if you are at the stove and someone else needs to put something in the dishwasher, how will that work?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Whoa and no. So sorry, just no.

One of those need to go - counter or floor. You're trying to make everything a star, you're in two temperature palettes.

How extensive is the flooring? In kitchen only? What is the flooring beyond the kitchen?

Big. Boo. Boo,

• Kendrah
    last month

Make a 4" splash from your counter material and paint the rest of the walls. I have done this and the painted walls are easier to clean and maintain than tile. Saves money too.

Agreed your floors and counter don't work well together but at this stage of the game, I doubt you are changing either. At least the floor is subtle. Once it is done and you are all moved in, I don't think it will look as bad as it does now.

• chinacatpeekin
    last month

Sorry, but none of your tile samples work. I’d do a 4 inch backsplash of the countertop material and paint, as suggested above.

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

I do not have the option of getting more countertop material unfortunately.

• ffpalms
    last month

Since you can’t get your countertop material, you may want to consider getting a solid color stone that matches as closely as possible one of the paler colors in it for your short backsplash, and perhaps color match that stone to paint the the walls.

• HU-910663146
    last month

Stainless steel backsplash above the range only and paint the rest of the room.

Love the granite.

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Okay guys I took everyone’s advice and got some plain solid color tiles… here are some previews. I’m here now arranging and rearranging. Let me know what to try on

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Glass - light greeb

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Square fancy tiles

• drsaj
    last month

The green isn't working. Like someone else suggested, you need a tile that picks up a color in the granite. I think a larger subway tile would look better, also.

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

More greens but I maybe too busy?

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Small brown tiles
    Maybe 1 or 2 tiles high (?)

• Leah
    last month

I agree with Mxk3 "You need a plain subway tile in the lightest shade of cream that is found in the counter. Anything else is just going to duke it out with the counter."

That countertop stone is gorgeous! Make the backsplash completely disappear so that countertop can take center stage as it should. I did something similar with my Macaubas quartzite stone countertop. I put a long and thin unglazed subway tile in a cool white so the countertops can be the focal point.

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Glass: light blue “PURE SKY”

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Glass: “PURE SPA BLU”

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

• Leah
    last month

This is what I chose for my stone. This wouldn't work for your stone but you get the idea. Your stone has so much movement that I would make the backsplash disappear as much as possible.

• imgmom
    last month

Absolutely no to any of the green, blue or busy tiles. They have nothing to do with that counter at all. The brown might work, but a cream in the lightest tone of your countertop would be best, as everyone has been saying. Leaving it with just paint might work as well. You want it to disappear, not compete with that distinctive counter.

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Glass: “PURE INDIGO”

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Glass: “PURE WOOL”

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

I personally hated the pure wool at first but it does match the stainless appliances pretty decently

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

“LA BELLE AIR”
    (not glass)

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

This is the last of the blues…

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Last of the blues

• Mrs Pete
    last month

Personally, I think we have lots of wrong answers here: As others have said, the countertop -- while lovely -- is bold, taste-specific and bossy. That means:

- It's hard to find a backsplash that'll bring out its best.

- The backsplash must be "quiet" and play second fiddle to the existing granite.

Thoughts about the various suggestions:

- The initial rock-look suggestion doesn't share the same hues as the countertop + is too busy.

- The two initial neutral /wavy tiles are the wrong color altogether.

- No to subways. So overdone.

- The brown subways do match the granite, but that's an awful lot of brown in the kitchen.

- No to the suggestion of blue or green. While they're lovely colors, they don't match this granite at all.

- No to small tiles /penny rounds /chevrons. Too busy to match this granite.

My suggestion:

- The granite seems to have touches of bronze begging to be brought out.

- I'd go classic 4x4s in a tan to match the palest colors in the granite ... paired with small bronze accents. This example shows travertine, but only because I couldn't find an example with plain ceramic tile. These tiles are mid-sized, not too big /not too small.

Alternately, consider a tile with a bit of shape /no color alterations. This is white, but imagine it in a tan to match the lightest color in the granite /same color for grout:

Final thought: You could bring the same granite up the wall ... though that'd still give you a lot of dark in the room.

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

I’ve gone to all the stores and found it almost impossible to find a plain off-phone tan tile that is not too dark

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Actually, I take that back. There are a lot of tan/neutral choices but all in marble

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Is this too much brown? I was thinking about doing a backsplash around the counter that is 1 or 2 tiles high.

But then no idea what to do above the stove. I put the wood up just to visualize what it would look like with that much brown and it’s too dark I think.

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

I do have a tiny bit of countertop left over. It’s not enough to go all the way around the kitchen, but it might be enough to hang on the wall above the stove

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Leftover countertop per my previous comment

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

still considering this glass “PURE SPEARMINT” pale light green. I thought it matched the countertop decently, no(?)

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

“PURE SPEARMINT” from far away

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

This is my moms current front runner by the way.

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

Video

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

This is the what the kitchen looks like from the living room

• herbflavor
    last month

if youre considering that one [mom's fave] just use the field tile thats available in your floor product..they probably have a few different sizes.... likely also a tile w exact match to background shade/ something like that would be better than a distinctly different 3rd product in there. in my opinion the floor isnt being considered enough as the kitchen wraps w 3 sides and you notice the floor quite a .bit. did your mom like that one because its similar to floor????

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

This is giving me a headache

• dani_m08
    last month

Personally, I don’t think that either of the pure spearmint or your mom’s choice works with your countertop. On my IPad screen, the floor tile doesn’t seems to quite work with your countertop - but maybe it’s different in person.

You have a very BOLD countertop - it’s exciting - it is the STAR of that space. Plus, the kitchen is smaller - trying to add even a weak supporting star - that might work in a large kitchen - will not work in your space.

While I’ve learned many things while reading through Houzz posts, the one piece of advice that I constantly hear when looking at selections for all of the different rooms that I’m renovating is ”EDIT EDIT EDIT!!!” (credit: Jan Moyer).

Example: I LOVE tile (thanks to @Beth H. :) - there are so many beautiful tile options available today. I need to select something for the fireplace in my kitchen (it’s actually in my kitchen - not located in a hearth room or some other connecting room - my house is not an open floorplan). I have saved tons of photos of fireplaces on pinterest - and they are all beautiful. However, I need to remember that the star of my kitchen is going to be my countertop - a beautiful Calacatta marble.

So, unless I use a piece from one of the matching slabs of Calacatta marble on my fireplace (if there is enough after templating), I know that my fireplace will need to be more understated. Lucikly, I have three other fireplaces that need to be updated - all completely separate from my kitchen!

Listen to the comments you’ve received above - if there is enough of your leftover countertop to do even a 2” piece along the walls - that would look better than trying to find a tile that won’t compete with your countertop.

• herbflavor
    last month

what is that last gray green square tile? I think that could look good. depends on the "in person"

way it looks though. it looks good w the stainless frames around the hood without being actually gray. do that one!!!

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

What’s a field tile?

• herbflavor
    last month

filed tile is placed in main"field area " in other words NOT accent/border/detail type tiile. You need a plain jane player in other words. On tile coordinated palette boards , there will be a fiield tile on there.....often a few sizes. I dont know what your floor is but it may have a field tile that coordinates. I really like that last gray green square as it works w floor/cabs and counter.

• HU-910663146
    last month

Can you have the leftover pieces of countertop trimmed into strips and use that? For instance, 4" strip or just a big section right at the cooktop? What about 4" strip alternated with some tile?

I like Mom's fave, brown, or light gray.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your granite.

And I especially love your diligence in picking out a great backsplash! It will look great!

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

There may only be enough of the countertop for to do a 2” strip

• HU-910663146
    last month

How about tile for 6-7" inches high and 2" strip of your granite across the top (or around bottom) like a border?

• lhmarmot
    last month

Our interior designer used a great analogy when we kept showing her a wide range of things we loved...

Think of your kitchen as soup. You can love many ingredients, but to make a tasty soup they have to go together just so. That really served us well in our build.

I think that's what's happening in yours - so many ingredients but they need to go well in the same soup. Please take the advice of a backsplash that will fade into the background and let the counter be the focus. (No movement in the tile... the counter has enough.) Don't try to compete with the counter, even if you love that ingredient...it belongs in a different soup.

• Elina R
    Original Author
    last month

The tile guy is coming tomorrow. Thank you everyone for playing 🤣

Mom settled on her favorite (sometimes I don’t even know why I try?) which was the 3rd pattern with the marble light veins.

I’ll post some photos tomorrow🙈

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

The counter top was a huge mistake. It will loom larger yet, until you admit to yourself, you goofed.

Save money, and do nothing to the backsplash, until you can remove the tops, clear the mistake and begin again.

In a lifetime? if this is the biggest you ever make, consider yourself lucky.

You chose it without considering the whole, without consideration of the flooring.

I'm sure you;d like a different answer, and I do not have one. Changing tops is far less disruptive than the flooring and all your really need? A plain white, and yes even Dupont Corian Designer white will do it.

Bite the bullet.

• HU-910663146
    last month

It will look great! Thank you for sharing.

What is the name of your granite?