Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Kitchenaid 604 or Bosch 500 dishwasher? Need to decide today!

Forever Now
last month
last modified: last month

In the last agonizing moments of trying to pick a new dishwasher. Actually, I thought I had last night; I already ordered the Bosch 500 with AirDry but I can cancel and still get the Kitchenaid 604 (KDTM604KPS) in time. I must have it by this weekend.

I'm looking for:

1) RELIABILITY - I don't want to pay this much and have to replace in 4 years. I don't mind a couple but they should happen after the 4 or 5 year mark, IMO!

2) Large capacity – we can use a lot of dishes because we cook several meals on the weekend and my husband likes to bake.

3) No steam venting out the top - this is going in an island and can be set deep enough so the front door is flush, this is what we'd like, but it will have a 2.5" countertop overhang. Our old GE vented out the top and the steam condensed on the quartz countertop and dripped onto the floor, so we had to pull it out.

4) Drying – Of course, I'd like dishes to get decently dry. I was happy with my GEs heated dry, but it did melt some things.

4) Good cleaning - I'm not overly worried about this. I image both of these do a good enough job to make me happy. I thought my GE did fine, and it was a low end one.

My conundrum is that I really like the interior of the KitchenAid much better, but everyone says the Bosches are more reliable. These are both exactly the same price at Best Buy right now $1099.

I compared them both at HD (they only had a 300 series Bosch, but I think the layout is the same), and the Bosch wasn't as bad as I thought, but I don't think casserole dishes and such would fit into it easily without taking a lot of room as the tines are so close together. The 3rd rack is so narrow. I mainly want it for whisks, spatulas, and measuring cups, so maybe ok? KAs could fit a larger variety of items. The cutlery rack on the Bosch is a joke and I need one, because I'm using the 3rd rack for other stuff. the KAs rack is way too big. I imagine I could buy a cutlery rack the size I want though for either. I probably like the exterior a tiny bit better on KA, too, but that's not a deciding factor. They both look fine. My husband wanted the AirDry feature on the Bosch, but I worry about the steam escaping on that one from the door and causing the same issue, though maybe it's only an issue when it's concentrated in one area from a vent vs. all at once from an open door. This Kitchenaid has a vent on the bottom of the door (I believe based on schematics, its not on the front anyway), I only found this one after I ordered the Bosch. I originally decided against the KA based soley on the placement of that vent.

Would I be sorry if I got the KitchenAid? It's the one I want, if they're close enough not to make a difference, but I want a reliable one more than anything else.

Comments (17)

• theresa21
    last month

The Bosch 500 lets out steam with its pop-open door. There is a pause to let some of the steam condense on the sides of the interior, but it still lets out some steam. Since you have a deeper countertop that could be a potential issue. Of course, you can turn off that feature, but for me that is my favorite feature with the 500. You could step up in the Bosch series to get the deeper top-rack that you desire and a door that doesn't pop open. I do not think the high-end CrystalDry Bosch DWs lets out steam, but maybe someone else can clarify.

Forever Now thanked theresa21
  • Forever Now
    Original Author
    last month

@theresa21 We don't have any place with an 800 series in town to look at, but in the ones I've seen online, the 3rd rack looks the same unless there is a model that I'm missing?

• Theresa Peterson
    last month

Go with the Kitchen Aid. I have trouble finding enough words to express my dissatisfaction with my 1-year old Bosch:

- The trays are laid out in a weird way, and the result is fewer dishes per load. Many of the tines are too close together, so if you have thick dishes (Pfaltzgraff or FiestaWare, for example), they don't fit well.

- Dishes -- especially pots and pans -- don't always come out clean. I have to check each item as I'm unloading the machine, and I typically end up handwashing 1-2 things from every load.

- It is quiet, I'll give it that positive.

Lest you think I'm overly fussy, I'll add this: I've never been unhappy with a dishwasher before. Not even a most-basic-of-basic model in a rental apartment. I'll never own another Bosch appliance.

Forever Now thanked Theresa Peterson
  • Forever Now
    Original Author
    last month

@Theresa Peterson I do not think you are overly fussy! These were my exact thoughts when I was looking at the Bosch racks! I'm a DW Tetris master and the way I see the Bosches loaded in review photos triggers OCD-like feelings in me!

• darbuka
    last month

Eight years in, and we’ve been ever so pleased with our Bosch 800. Yes, the loading took some getting used to…especially the deep cereal bowls. But, the unit cleans impeccably, and it dries well too…except for occasional droplets on plastic lids.

DH thought he’d hate the third rack…turns out, he really likes it.

Forever Now thanked darbuka
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last month

I had two KA dishwashers, about 10 years apart in different houses. I had lots of trouble with them. The one thing I liked in my most recent one was the drying. Fabulous! But three times now it’s been serviced and they can’t get it right. Could be repairman? Yes, possibly. I have a Bosch in my new home. I’ll see how that goes.

Forever Now thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • catspa_zone9sunset14
    last month

The KitchenAid dishwasher we had was in every way inferior to the Bosch dishwashers that preceded and succeeded it (love the third rack on the most recent Bosch!). It did not clean as well or load as efficiently as the Bosch dishwashers we've had and had some sort of steam-release vent on the side of the door that damaged the finish on the wood cabinet next to it. Along with that it was noisier and, worst of all, developing a leak after only four years that badly damaged surrounding cabinets and floor. I've loved my KitchenAid ovens with convection, but I'll never have a KitchenAid dishwasher again.

ETA: Forgot to mention that the stainless finish on that KitchenAid dishwasher was of poor quality, compared to any other stainless appliance we've had.

Forever Now thanked catspa_zone9sunset14
  • chinacatpeekin
    last month

Bosch. Definitely.

Forever Now thanked chinacatpeekin
  • Forever Now
    Original Author
    last month

@morz8 - Washington Coast and everyone, thank you so much for your experiences!

I finally decided to go with the Kitchenaid. This is the one I liked best, and yes, I'm a little concerned because I can find more negative experiences with Kitchenaid than with Bosch, but I also figure as an American brand, there are probably a ton more people in the US who purchase Kitchenaid and therefore just based on numbers, the number of unhappy people will be larger too. I went ahead and got the extended warranty (to ensure that I never need it - LOL).

Ultimately, large load capacity was really important to me, and there is no way to be sure that any appliance won't have problems. I probably would have liked the Bosch, but just the fact that I'd already purchased it but was still indecisive meant that it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Best Buy ended up having a discount on the KA with their "Plus" membership, which was the same cost as shipping, but the shipping was free with membership, so ultimately, I only paid $100 more to get the 5-year warranty.

• theresa21
    last month

Bosch--two kinds of top racks.

Forever Now thanked theresa21
  • Forever Now
    Original Author
    last month

@theresa21 Ah, I'd seen that other rack, but I didn't realize they were different. Since it was loaded in the photo, they looked the same! I've already settled on the KA, but this may help someone else for sure! The first rack does look like it holds bigger things. Since it wasn't showing it inside the DW, I just assumed they were being optimistic!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last month

Forever: I hadn't mentioned one of the features of the Bosch I was looking forward to was a half load cycle. We are a two person household and I may not have a full load every night of the week.

The KA 604 has a cycle that will wash and dry the top two racks only so reasonable trade-off. I do have to move the easily adjustable middle rack to get a dinner plate in and even then I have it sharply angled, but it beats leaving town for a long weekend with unwashed dishes in the dishwasher if I haven't remembered to serve a last quick meal on salad plates 😊

Forever Now thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Forever Now
    Original Author
    last month

Good to know @morz8 - Washington Coast! Sometimes, when my husband travels, and it's just the kids and me, we can skip a night of the DW, but I often use that time to wash things like my hood baffles or the sink rack or I'll wash my pots and pans instead of handwashing, because the DW is usually too full otherwise.

• HU-16168550092
    last month

Both brands have a history of both reliability and occasionally, not so good reliability. In the end, I suspect that you just might enjoy loading the racks in the KitchenAid a lot more, and, at some point, you will enjoy the freedom from having to clean the darned filter in the Bosch, because most of the higher level KitchenAid models, like the one you mentioned, have a self cleaning filter. And today’s KitchenAids are a lot quieter than they used to be and many have similar low noise levels to the Bosch machines which are most famous for bringing quiet dishwashers to North America when they became popular here.

• theresa21
    last month

Cleaning the filter on the Bosch is not that big of deal, to me it is a non-issue, except that you have to remember to do it every once in a while. IMO going with a DW that doesn't have a food grinder is a plus, because it is one less mechanical component that could malfunction.

• Theresa Peterson
    last month

I'm a DW Tetris master and the way I see the Bosches loaded in review photos triggers OCD-like feelings in me!

Yes, things just don't fit. Admittedly, I have seven sets of dishes, and three of them -- Pfaltzgraff, Fiesta Ware and Longberger -- are thick. I guess I like substantial tableware. But I just can't fit as many dishes as I could in my previous dishwashers, and I've owned various name brands over the years.

except for occasional droplets on plastic lids.

Plastic never really dries. I always reach for my plastics first /let them sit in the dish drainer a couple hours.

Cleaning the filter on the Bosch is not that big of deal

Agree. While I despise my Bosch dishwasher, that particular detail is not a problem.