Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephineokun

Two identical sofas facing each other in different colors?

Josephine
last month

Help! Would you place two identical sofas facing each other but in different colors or is that too odd?

I am redoing the living room after 8 years. Here is the photo of the previous living room layout.

Wellesley Green Home · More Info

I am thinking of placing two CR Laine Westport sofas facing each other with fireplace as a focal point.

I am facing a dilemma because I wanted leather (Dark Smoke or Harness Nut) but feel like the colors would too overwhelming for the space. But I really do not want a two matching fabric sofa either. So I am thinking of getting one sofa in Bubble up Domino and one in leather.

Problem is: I haven't seen two identical sofas facing each other in different colors in any of the ideas photos yet. What do you all think of it? Would it break the harmony too much? Would the dark color or the leather throw off the balance? I intend to keep the table and console but I am planning for a new swivel chair, new rugs and window blinds so I have those colors to play with. Would it be too hard to pull it off? How would you do it? Would love your thoughts.

I have open floor plan that include kitchen, living room and dining room. My current colors are white and dark gray warmed with quarter sewn white oak flooring and warm tone wood tables. Thanks in advance for your input.

BTW, the wall with fireplace is asymmetrical. The cabitnets to the left of the fireplace is 30" wider than the plane white wall to the right.

Wellesley Green Home · More Info

Comments (12)

• jck910
    last month

I wouldn't do sofas facing each because it is difficult to see the TV when the sofas are perpendicular to it. I don't like mismatched sofas (just my preference that they match) so I would do 1 sofa and 2 chairs

Josephine thanked jck910
  • tracefloyd
    last month
    last modified: last month

It would look odd, like 'why are they the same but different colors?'

We have a dark brown/gray leather sofa, an oatmeal suede eames type swivel chair, and a teal velvet easy chair....but all in different styles. We use neutral colors with the teal as the accent color. So yes to color if done right.

Josephine thanked tracefloyd
  • dan1888
    last month

It'll be easy and comfortable to watch tv if you're laying down on either sofa. This makes your proposed setup a two person grouping. Maybe younger kids also. One leather and the fabric you've shown seem fine to me because of the different texture involved as well as tones. Another grouping using sofa(s) with chaise and a large ottoman could accommodate more movie goers.

Josephine thanked dan1888
  • PRO
    Douglah Designs
    last month

We might suggest looking at other options, as two sofas facing one another can work, however two different colored sofas might be a little too much. If you're getting two sofas, the best layout might be the current one you already have in the space. Otherwise why not try a sofa and two chairs, or a small sectional and a chair, it'll be a lot more versatile.

Wine Country Charm · More Info

Modern Farmhouse Rebuild · More Info

Josephine thanked Douglah Designs
  • Josephine
    Original Author
    last month

Would you all feel differently if the two sofas were different style but still transitional? Dan1888, your are correct that this is a two person grouping that can accomodate 8 people + easily. This accomodates two of us typical lounge with our dog dogs pretty well but also the arrangement is very conversational for game nights. We have two very active dogs which are the reason for not wanting to have two light colored fabric sofas. Maybe we will just have to go with two swivel chairs opposite the sofa and a recliner facing the TV to accomodate second person lounging. Thanks all.

• chispa
    last month
    last modified: last month

You can search on Houzz photos for "Family Room with two sofas". Most of the photos have 2 sofas that are identical. I prefer having two matching sofas.

Took a bit of scrolling through the photos to find these! If you have to have different sofas, then I think that an "L" layout is better than having them across from each other.

Traditional Family Room · More Info

Palmer Point Road Residence 2 Living Room 2 · More Info

Eklektisch Wohnzimmer · More Info

Josephine thanked chispa
  • deegw
    last month

I think two sofas that are similar shapes and have the same intensity of color might look okay. But a light and dark, which I think you are proposing, would make the room look off balance.

Josephine thanked deegw
  • Jennz9b
    last month

I wouldn’t do two different sofas.

Josephine thanked Jennz9b
  • Tara
    last month

Maybe if one was a print fabric to coordinate with the leather.

• Tara
    last month

Here are some ideas. Before you buy anything, try separating what you have and placing them the way you want, then covering them in sheets or fabric that is the color of what you want to get. See if you like it that way. before you buy.

Bellport, NY Renovation · More Info

• Tara
    last month

Arroyo Roland Coate · More Info

Eclectic Living Room · More Info

Red Ledges · More Info