Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

2024 Spring Swap - Saturday May 4, 2024

trianglejohn
last month

Howdy Gardeners - Long time no post, er swap, and all that other stuff. I will be traveling for work most of April so the spring swap will have to be in May. Same bat time, same bat station.

The 2024 Raleigh Spring Swap will be held Saturday, May 4 at White Deer Park - Pine Shelter in Garner. The shelter is reserved from 1pm til 4pm. Swapping will begin around 2. Everything will be the same as in past swaps. We are limited to 50 participants.

As in the past we have no rules, you are free to haul anything gardening related to the swap and give it away - this includes live plants, seeds and bulbs, cuttings, pottery, tools and equipment. One thing that sets our swap apart from others is that we do not require you to even bring plants in order to participate. We always have way more plants than people. If you feel guilty taking something for nothing you can always bring food for the potluck picnic.

Here is a map showing the town of Garner’s White Deer Park shelters:

https://www.garnernc.gov/departments/parks-recreation-and-cultural-resources/parks-facilities/parks/white-deer-park/shelters

Comments (27)

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    28 days ago

Cross-posting to:

Gardening in the Carolinas - GardenWeb

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/carolina-garden-exchange

under

2024 Raleigh Plant Exchange

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6436982/2024-raleigh-plant-exchange

and the 2023 threads therein.

• sandlapper_rose
    26 days ago

I plan to be there. It's a favorite. I started things from seed early this year so hopefully some will continue on and I can bring them to the swap. Many of the things I've gotten in years past are doing great for me!

• karen__w z7 NC
    25 days ago

On my calendar and looking forward to it, pending knee schedule in my household (not mine). Seems like May is the month for knees.

• JJLM garden 7b
    24 days ago

I put it in my calendar! already potted some things up to bring!

• JJLM garden 7b
    24 days ago

Also wanna thank whoever brought tulip bulbs to the fall swap- they have been such a delight

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    18 days ago

Yay.... John is Back.! Count me in.

17 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

I have

1. luffa sponges and Luffa squash seeds

2. Pumpkin seeds

3. Hot chili seeds

4. Beautiful red stem and leaves Ricinus communis L., Castor bean seeds . I grew them for deterring voles/moles. They 6 ft tall

Not sure if it worked but was a showy plant.

5. Raspberry plant cuttings root fast

6. black berry plant cuttings... root real fast..

7. Jewels of opar, aka Suriname spinach

8. Choclate vine is aggresive

Will add more as I find more.

wish List

Not looking for much this year. However, always looking for something edible, fragrant (Madagascar Jasmine comes to mind..:-))). Oh and if anyone is thinking of thinning the daylilies, Irises, please add me on the list of recipients.

• JJLM garden 7b
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Sabji, i do hope to get some castor bean seeds!

so far i’ve set aside bonfire peach seedlings, a cactus, weigelia ”pink princess”, and a butterfly bush for this swap.

wishlist: dahlia roots (any variety!)

16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Love to swap Bonfire peach seedlings and butterfly bush for castor bean seeds. I am starting them too. If the seedlings are big enough, will bring them for you. Can give you some devils trumpet seeds aka Datura seeds too

• JJLM garden 7b
    16 days ago

Sounds great!

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    15 days ago

Sabji, I have the hibiscus plants for you. Are you still holding 'Major Wheeler' plants for me? I'd like the Castor bean and chili pepper seeds.

These are plants I have to share:

Ajuga

Sedum – unknown ground-cover plants

Sedum ‘Autumn Joy’

Aster – unknown purple

Aster ‘Ezo Murasaki’

Canna ‘Bengal Tiger’

Walking iris

Black-eyed Susans

Iris cristata – white flowers

Iris cristata – lavender flowers

These are plants I want:

Anemonella thalictroides

Anemonopsis macrophylla

Arisaema sikokianum

Campanula

Clematis

Dictamnus albus

Eremurus

Ligularia

Penstemon

Sanguinaria – double Blood root

Tiarella

VA blue bells

Val

14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Hi Val, Love the hibiscus. The major wheeler was removed to replace the Deck. I still have the stump and it seems to be greening up. I am sure I will be able to give stems in next fall or spring. I can swap with the Castor bean and Chili pepper seeds. I am attending a local garden event tomorrow, Will watch out for Major wheeler for you.

which colors are the Hibiscus?

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    14 days ago

Sabji, this is the hibiscus you brought to a swap as branches. It's a double-flowered purplish/pink color and is a hardy shrub.

• brenda_near_eno
    10 days ago

Screenwriter, I have tiarella. Any chance of some white cristata?

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    10 days ago

Brenda, I'm sorry, but a gardener just told me I don't have crestata iris, but another. The leaves are only 4" high, and it has a spike with a number of flowers. It runs a lot, but easy to pull. I have yellow bearded iris with a white fall, if you want a bearded iris.

• brenda_near_eno
    10 days ago

No problem, Val, I will try your short iris - sounds interesting

• sandlapper_rose
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Val, I would love some ajuga if it's available. I don't have VA bluebells, but I have Spanish bluebells. They have just finished blooming and it seems the foliage dies back about a month after that, but I can dig and bring some of the little bulbs they grow from. I moved some of it by planting the bulbs to different spots in the garden last year and they came up really well for me. Pictured below from when they bloomed - the purplish blue flowers. Another choice would be your Canna Bengal Tiger. Cannas have done well for me here. Always happy with what people share. I have lots of seedlings from things I planted about 5 weeks ago - likely some tomatoes and peppers and we'll see what else continues to grow from now to then.

Jeanne

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    9 days ago

Brenda, I have a note you were going to bring me a Blood root and rue anemone this spring.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    9 days ago

Brenda, for a special trade for those above, I have daylily 'My Sleeping Angel,' Pulmonaria, and phlox diverticulata 'Blue Moon.'

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    9 days ago

Sandlapper, I would love the Spanish bluebells. I do have ajuga and 'Bengal Tiger' for you.

9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Hi Val, This is so amazing, that you have my rose of Sharon. I lost the huge plant when the winds toppled it over. it was lanky. I would love to grow it again if the scarlet castor bean and the chili pepper seeds work for you.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    9 days ago

Sabji, they are perfect.

• brenda_near_eno
    8 days ago

screenwriter, no problem you got it

• brenda_near_eno
    8 days ago

I don‘t have a list, but i have only special items potted up, so looking for what everyone is looking for

• karen__w z7 NC
    8 days ago

Val, I’m also interested in your short white not cristata iris that runs. I started seed from Arisaema sikokianum over the winter and have a small pot of seedlings that’s not already spoken for that I can bring you.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    8 days ago

Karen, I would love to have the Arisaema sikokianum seedlings.

I just potted up two small Yucca 'Color Guard' plants.

I moved a Vitex 'Bailtextwo' and found seedlings in the path.