Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_846191972

The oven right next to steps looks weird to me, should I move it?

2 years ago

I’m considering switching The fridge to where the oven is and putting the oven where the fridge is.

Comments (30)

  • 2 years ago

    Do you have a floor plan for rhe whole area? Or more pictures? Agree that the current range placement is less than desireable, but note sure about swapping for the fridge.


    Are you replacing all of the cabinets?

  • 2 years ago

    I’m planning on painting the cabinets white and replacing the handles/fixtures. Here’s more pics.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Not going to work without big changes to include centering in the new location, and NOT a full depth refrigerator. You need clearances to be able to fully open doors.

    Also would put your dishwasher in a new locale - if a perfect world. You don't want it BETWEEN the range and the sink.

    You need to draw and measure, ----walls, exact window placement in the walls etc. More picture help as well.

  • 2 years ago

    What is your plan to address the physical changes to the cabinets necessary if you move the appliances?

  • 2 years ago

    I’m looking to avoid physical changes to the cabinets. Sounds like everything should just remain as is.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    The cabinetry doesn't seem to deserve paint : ) ? Is this a basement? A rental? To move this stuff means alterations to cabinets that would render the paint effort a fairly useless endeavor. A change of tops would make sense as well, given a move. Your range seems to be only 30"?

  • 2 years ago

    This is a mean level. The cabinetry has seen better days. I’m looking for budget friendly options. I could speak to my contractor about the cost of new cabinets versus painting the old ones.

  • 2 years ago

    Main level *

  • 2 years ago

    If you leave things in place and haven’t already, I would consider covering the wall to the left of the range in something that is heat/fire resistant.

  • 2 years ago

    Also don’t forget to check facebook marketplace, habitat for humanity’s ReStore, Craigslist, etc for donated kitchen cabinets and countertops that you might be able to repurpose depending on cost vs. buying new. Good luck with your project!

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Start over with the kitchen, even if it means a delay. Consider Ikea.

    The effort is wasted on a dated space, and cabinet quality doesn't appear great. Few drawers....exposed hinges. Not worth it and mostly good money chasing bad. I'd save and wait.

    Does it need to be eat in with that blank wall?

    Do some measuring homework for the whole space, show the BEYOND area. Post it and come back

  • 2 years ago

    So if I get new cabinets should I move the oven/fridge? Here’s the adjacent dining room behind the wall. I’m planning on removing that wall to open up the space.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Do your HOME!! WORK Draw and measure and show the entire thing. all the walls , all the windows, the adjacent dining all in the existing condition.

    On paper, 1/2 inch scale if you can........upload as a jpeg /2 dimension flat on paper. All the feet and inches. for everything,

  • 2 years ago

    Okay I’ll come back!!!

  • 2 years ago

    Way more than that impossible to do change needs changing about that space.

  • 2 years ago

    Here are the kitchen measurements

  • 2 years ago

    I wanted to remove both of these walls but according to my contractor I will only be able to remove the wall with the X. The king rectangle is drew is a post which has to be there unfortunately! I wanted to open all of that up (that’s a pantry and cost closet on the other side of that wall,)

  • 2 years ago

    What is your budget? 50K and all DIY? labor? 80K with a contractor? 100K with moving walls, etc.?

  • 2 years ago

    Forgot to attach pic

  • 2 years ago

    Hi Kevin. You have a gas range. In order to move it, you’ll have to move the gas supply which could be no problem if you have a basement, or a major undertaking if you are on a slab. Have you considered altering the stairs? what does your contractor recommend?

  • 2 years ago

    Haven’t approached him about moving appliances. We got set back when we found out there’s an unmovable post there. There’s a crawlspace underneath. There’s no plans to alter stairs other than removing the carpeting. Any recommendations on alternate appliance placement?

  • 2 years ago

    Contractor gave me a price for new cabinets, replacing flooring, and removing the walls. I am only looking for suggestions/recs, not pricing at this time. Any ideas i can run past my contractor at that point. Thank you!

  • 2 years ago

    Could you put the stove and microwave in an island?

  • 2 years ago

    I could but I prefer to have the exhaust from the microwave covering the oven (i know it normally doesn’t do much)

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Do what Jan asked-

    “Do your HOME!! WORK Draw and measure and show the entire thing. all the walls , all the windows, the adjacent dining all in the existing condition.

    On paper, 1/2 inch scale if you can........upload as a jpeg /2 dimension flat on paper. All the feet and inches. for everything,“


    Measure the walls, windows, etc. (not the cabinets that are being taken out) and you might get more help.


    I am not a pro, but I would think about moving the fridge to the wall that can’t be removed, with pantry cabinets beside it. And move the oven to where the fridge was (consider a vent hood since the kitchen will be open to other rooms). Dishwasher on the other side of the sink. Will that work in the space? Don’t know without measurements.


    Ask your contractor about taking out the soffets above the cabinets.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    You have no choice. That appliance against that combustible wall is a fire hazard. No, you're not tiling the wall to make it noncombustible; it doesn't.

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks Joseph

  • 2 years ago

    Cap off the gas and go with induction range. Do Jan’s homework. :)

  • 2 years ago

    What is your goal? Is this your home, a rental? Are you planning to sell? Describe your family: kids, parents living with you, aging in place, etc. How do you cook? Do you want to keep these appliances? Style wise, what do you want?


    You may need to slow down and come up with a more defined plan.