Software
Houzz Logo Print
hono0726

Are these too formal for this space help!

2 years ago

I bought these two swivel boucle chairs to go in my morning room. I have been trying to find something for this space for a few years and didn't quite see anything I liked. I love the chairs and they are super comfortable and my husband likes them. My mom and sister like them but they both have said there too formal for this space and don’t go in a morning room.


Can someone please give me their opinion as I am on the fence if I should keep them or take them back. Are they too formal for this space or does the design of the chair not work in this space?

Comments (16)

  • 2 years ago

    they are beautiful, just a great size. lovely next to the rich green.

    I would add an area rug. Greta Find!

    hono0726 thanked Lyn Nielson
  • 2 years ago

    I like them too - I would also add a rug, a small table to set down a glass/cup, maybe a floor lamp - can they face each other a bit more to suggest conversation?

    hono0726 thanked la_la Girl
  • 2 years ago

    I am not familiar with term ”morning room”. Is it a sitting room in a master bedroom? Regardless, I think the chairs look very pretty in the space, both with the color & their size. The swivel function should be great for looking out all of those nice windows. What are your plans for a table to set that morning cup of coffee & book on? What about one longer & low console type table behind them under the window & place chairs just far enough away so that one can still turn 360. Maybe a rug too? Lastly, the opinions that count are the people in the house - you & husband - who will be sitting in these chairs! Love the hanging light!

    hono0726 thanked KW PNW Z8
  • 2 years ago

    Hi Lyn,


    Thank you so much for your quick response and opinion! I never thought about an area rug but I agree with you and maybe a small coffee table in front of the chairs or side table between the chairs.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    JMO - I don't think they are too formal . They look fun! I think once you have some more things in the room, it will all tie together. Maybe a nice side table between them with a lamp, a pretty throw or pillow, a nice area rug, even an ottoman to share, some nice plants in the corners....

    Good luck!

    hono0726 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 2 years ago

    Thank you all for your wonderful comments and suggestions. I do plan on putting a rug in the space and either a low profile coffee table or a side table between them as i want the chairs to be the star of the show. My style is earthy and organic. I have attached a picture of my dining room to give you an idea.


  • 2 years ago

    Can I ask where you found those curio cabinets? I’ve been searching high and low for them to no avail.

    hono0726 thanked Chandra C
  • 2 years ago

    Also the chandelier fixture 😂

    For your chairs, I think you need a small table in between and a rug below it ❤️

  • 2 years ago

    I think your style is eclectic and interesting! I like the chairs very much. Maybe they look “too formal” because they are the only things in the room! Either way, I’d suggest you trust your own instincts and stop taking decorating advice from your mother and sister.

    hono0726 thanked drdeb1234
  • 2 years ago

    Formal? I don't think so, they are functional and pleasing. I agree a rug would cozy that spot. And based on your other photos you can make these work in a fun, happy, carefree ecletic way.


    I love this look...

    Okay maybe not the drapes but the fun rug under the chairs. Of course you would need a different rug but you get the idea.

    Lexington Green · More Info



    Kings Hall Road Project · More Info



    Brook Highland Drive · More Info



    Siena Residence · More Info


    hono0726 thanked Boxerpal
  • 2 years ago

    Hi Chandra C,


    I got the curio cabinets from Wayfair. It looks like they are more expensive now as I paid around $3,500 for both late last year. Here is the link. https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/joss-main-adrie-cabinet-black-fhnd7705.html

  • 2 years ago

    Love the chairs! Where are they from?

    hono0726 thanked S R
  • 2 years ago

    Good morning SR,


    I purchased the chairs from CB2. They are the Muir white boucle chair. I have copied the link. They are still currently on sale for 20% off @ $1,104 each. https://www.cb2.com/muir-white-boucle-swivel-chair-by-lawson-fenning/s443068?st=Muir%20White%20Boucle%20Swivel%20Chair%20by%20Lawson-Fenning

  • 2 years ago

    Lovely room. Great chairs. I would put a table between them as a coffee table is not great with swivel chairs. Post the other side of the room so we can see what size rug would work best.

    hono0726 thanked jck910
  • 2 years ago

    Make sure the table you put between the chairs is sturdy. Swivel chairs have a larger footprint because they can swivel- not always obvious until something gets knocked over

    : )

    hono0726 thanked jinwpg