Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_la

Any ideas for our Cozy Cottage

Nature by Design
13 days ago

we are looking for superior comfort and coziness. We currently have a very social layout - but the seating is not comfortable. Looking for ideas. We dont have to have the dining table - but it is nice to be able to have flexible space. But, i think that is what is limiting the coziness.I

Comments (40)

• kandrewspa
    13 days ago

I love the bones of the room. Unique with a lot of character. Could you swap out two of the chairs for a small sofa? This would soften the space. I like the two black chairs. Maybe the other two could be used elsewhere? Unless for your purposes it's better to have four chairs?

Nature by Design thanked kandrewspa
  • PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

May we have more pictures of the room with your back to the fireplace? You have my favorite wood burning stove. I cooked lots of food on mine and raised my bread on it as well. Great Cottage!! Love it!! Do you want a table in the room? TV? Willing to replace furniture? Thanks for posting the measurements that really helps a lot. I will draw up the room in a 3D rendition to see what will fit. Be back soon.

Nature by Design thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • jck910
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

What is the purpose of the room? TV? Socializing? Not cozy to me because it is basically black & white. Is the window trim red or wood? A large rug that all the chairs can sit on would be my starting point.

Nature by Design thanked jck910
  • Kendrah
    13 days ago

You have nailed cozy vibe in your magazine worthy cottage. I've been an apartment dweller much of my life and love to entertain. I've gotten good at making multi-purpose furniture arrangements.

Use a drop leaf table in your current table location. Keep it down when not in use. Flip up one side when you need it.

Get two chairs that are comfortable for table use and for guests. (Captains dining room chairs are often good for this purpose.) . Have them live on either end of the drop leaf table. When you have guests visit, pull them closer to the center of the room.

Add a rug to the center of the room.

Get two incredibly comfortable arm chairs and an ottoman. Place them where the two farthest right chairs are currently located. They will face the window and table. Someone sitting in them can easily converse with another person who is cooking or who is sitting at the table.

This arrangement will open up the center of the room. You'll only have four chairs on a daily basis, not all huddled together.

Nature by Design thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Nature by Design
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Ah good idea I will look - captains chairs for dining sound great!

• Kendrah
    13 days ago

1. This kind of configuration for drop leaf table with long end against the wall. If you can find a drop leaf with a pedestal leg even better.

Maui Plantation Cottage · More Info

2. Yellow and metal obviously isn't right for your space, but I like how the chairs are pushed against the wall when not in use. I have done this before and makes for a nice organized arrangement, makes the room feel bigger.

Charmean Neithart Interiors for Teen Project · More Info

3. These chairs are nice because they are upholstered and have a low arm so you can push yourself up to the table, however I would not orient a dropleaf in this direction in your space.

Rye, NY dining room niche · More Info

4. A nice wood color with some grain showing would introduce more warmth into your room than just another black or espresso table.

Lulu Dining Room · More Info

• Nature by Design thanked elcieg
  • PRO
    13 days ago

We are in the process of building the 3D rendition. Just an update. How many use the room daily and how many guests do you want to accommodate?

• ptreckel
    13 days ago

Love your charming little cottage. So evocative of the Cotswolds! Think low so by small sofa in front of the fireplace. Two armchairs to sink into. I would tuck your drop leaf table into the office nook, with one leaf extended. So the space could be used for dining or work. Location???? I appreciate your desire for privacy..but this is a gem! Channel English cottage home interior websites. ❤️

Nature by Design thanked ptreckel
  • PRO
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

You can find the chairs at World Market Cost Plus. https://www.worldmarket.com/p/megan-upholstered-swivel-chair-105276.html

• PRO
    13 days ago

We are presenting the rendition with suggestions for your consideration. We apologize that we were not able to replicate your amazing little cottage as you have it. We did move your plants, one under the stairs and the other in the corner next to the counter in order to give you more room for the swivel chairs. The couch is a Scandinavian two seater couch. The two chairs are swivel chairs that can turn to enjoy the fireplace or turn to enjoy conversation. We sincerely hope this helps.

• Kendrah
    13 days ago

I find two seater sofas to be really odd. It seems that one person only ever sits in them. They aren't comfortable for two people to really lounge in them yet are too close for comfort for two people to sit formally in them in a social situation.

• PRO
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Here are a couple of other suggestions. Two small parallel couches or four comfy leather chairs. The table is a narrow couch table that can also be used as a dining table. In the back corner is a beverage/wine bar.

• PRO
    12 days ago

The coffee table is a cluster of large leaves. Just a fun thing we wanted to show you.

• PRO
    Nature by Design
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you everyone for the great input! We use this room for conversation and relaxation - I love the ideas! A larger rug to pull it together and give the room color for sure. And more comfortable seating is critical - we like to recline and put our feet up. So I will search for some compact ideas for that. I really like the idea of using captains chairs at the dining area - great suggestion. Thank you all again!

• apple_pie_order
    11 days ago

Two recliners and two captain's chairs would fit as the "comfortable" seating. La Z Boy has recliners in a range of sizes. https://www.la-z-boy.com/ A small table in between the recliners would be fine for drinks and a lamp since a coffee table won't work in front of recliners. People are rarely willing to give up their recliners once they have them.

Nature by Design thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    11 days ago

May Day nailed it. Any of those configurations would work.

The next step is to select a color palette and fabrics and textiles that exude coziness--velvet, chenille, Persian rug, English-inspired florals, perhaps Morris & Co. style?

Nature by Design thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    11 days ago

Here's a link to House and Garden UK for some great ideas for the English cottage look:

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/topic/cottages

• ptreckel
    11 days ago

Yes!!!!!!! Diana Bier Interiors,LLC! Spot on! Lean in to the English Cottage Style!

Nature by Design thanked ptreckel
  • PRO
    11 days ago

Your home is a breath of fresh air!

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

I'd aim for making your small living area feel as spacious as possible. Cozy doesn't have to mean crowded nor tripping over furniture to walk through your main living space. I like adopting a minimal multipurpose cozy cottage look. (This is the goal for my NYC apartment.) Here are a few things that help for me:

Look at pieces you like online and tape out their footprint in your space and walk around them performing everyday tasks.

Purchase pieces where you can see the legs and space underneath - nothing skirted.

Skip oversized, overstuffed pieces. If you like rolled arms, you can still get a demure chair with rolled arms. You can get huge comfort without huge bulk.

We recently discovered wingback chairs. They always seemed stuffy and proper, not cozy and relaxing. Wrong! Man can you get a good slouch on leaning against the inside wing of a wing back. And many of them have a smaller foot print.

These pics show that you don't have to have a riot of color for coziness. One color punch of a throw or pillow, a subtle ticking print, the texture of a rug and of a wood frame on artwork, plus a place to put up your feet is all you need. But you know this already. I think your place is 80% there.

• PRO
    11 days ago

I like the feel of those rooms, Kendrah, but the settle in the first photo doesn't say "cozy" to me!

• PRO
    10 days ago

We have been having so much fun with your little house that we made up another rendition. If you’d like to recline, you may like this one. we will post it tomorrow.

• PRO
    10 days ago

Sorry we have a glitch we are repairing.

• PRO
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

More pics of the Green room, for your consideration. Best Wishes from all of us here at MAE Day Designs.

• PRO
    9 days ago

We call this rendition "Snug on the Green". We liked this one the most because of the green and comfy aspect. Yes, it is missing your dining table to make room for the furniture but it also provides several options for serving food. But than you also have your kitchen counter, as you mentioned earlier. We had so much fun putting this together for you. We hope you enjoy. This rendition was composed with suggestions for your consideration. We hope it helps. Cheers!!!

1. One green 8 by 10' area rug
    2. One 6'4" sofa. To lounge on or curl up and take a nap in front of the fire.
    3. Two comfy wing backed chairs with small matching ottomans.
    4. some nature art
    5. A fold away serving tray, you could have two to four.
    6. One black side table with storage that could also be used as a small dining table.
    7. Wool lined curtains for those oh so cold and snowy days.
    8. One radiator cover. Prettier then the radiator on the wall.
    9. One fun coffee table. Sometime you can find coffee tables in a cluster that can be separated and used to eat off of as well.

• PRO
    9 days ago

• PRO
  • PRO
    9 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Okay so we did one more when you said that you like to "recline", me too. So here is our last rendition with that in mind. It is all about comfort, cozy and reclining. We present this rendition with suggestions for your consideration and viewing pleasure. We hope this helps. Sit back, relax and hope you enjoy this as much as we did composing it for you. Cheers!
    In this rendition you will see:

1. One double wide chaise lounge. Product Dimensions50.39"D x 38.18"W x 35.82"H . Great for cuddling up under a blanket in front of the fire on a cold winter day or just relaxing after a long day at work. This chaise is versatile, It has an adjustable backrest, It can become a sleeper, and is made with a solid wood frame. This is a good one but still only a suggestion.
    2. Two wing backed chairs.
    3. Four small serving side tables.
    4. Two green throw pillows
    5. One crocheted green blanket.
    6. One 8 ft. round area rug.
    7. Your table with chairs similar to yours. Personally I like dining chairs that are easy to slip in and out of. I find that you have to pull chairs with arms completely out when you want to get into or out of them.
    8. Nature wall art.
    9. Radiator cover.
    10. Beverage bar in the back corner with an herb garden rack over top.

Just a suggestion for the chaise. THIS CHAISE IS AMAZING AND VERSATILE. There are a LOT out there to chose from.

Here's a link to this one. Just in case you like it. https://www.amazon.com/Condemo-Upholstered-Leisure-Recliner-Sleeper/dp/B0CQLN8DNW/ref=sr_1_7?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ixajnY02pbHdoB_QIJcuU217oPY455-XVofZNvmKOgNd0CY9MiWP4aKH3P3KPHLKW36H3jRzqRWkOs351K7cNxeZRKe3yna2fs_Lf7ujDKPYiVc6ZU7G8-cb9Xhi3H_INK0-I-ewivpxpgesgAIohPvLb10Ml-uiL01O49MO1F7TgysOJL4DV-DkYoUdzaSDYFM3G9LwQ-uIxhm5FlGHGP9c7JbMtRn63FqFrUndMJe_1lB7VZIlsWEjUZZ94OnjvzWhxjDjXO5aG7biVNQWvn9opDBX87-Do_7RdNH08-4.CaDCLnT2YN9CkkrWpzYLhBb_OIvmsJrPJHdHBZheuX0&dib_tag=se&keywords=mini+chaise+lounge&qid=1713775874&sr=8-7

Here is a link the this chair with a similar side table in this picture. https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Boucle-Armchair-Bedroom-Gray/dp/B0CGZJXNX6/ref=cs_sr_dp_3?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ixajnY02pbHdoB_QIJcuU217oPY455-XVofZNvmKOgNd0CY9MiWP4aKH3P3KPHLKW36H3jRzqRWkOs351K7cNxeZRKe3yna2fs_Lf7ujDKPYiVc6ZU7G8-cb9Xhi3H_INK0-I-ewivpxpgesgAIohPvLb10Ml-uiL01O49MO1F7TgysOJL4DV-DkYoUdzaSDYFM3G9LwQ-uIxhm5FlGHGP9c7JbMtRn63FqFrUndMJe_1lB7VZIlsWEjUZZ94OnjvzWhxjDjXO5aG7biVNQWvn9opDBX87-Do_7RdNH08-4.CaDCLnT2YN9CkkrWpzYLhBb_OIvmsJrPJHdHBZheuX0&dib_tag=se&keywords=mini+chaise+lounge&qid=1713775786&sr=8-49

• PRO
    7 days ago

Bíodh lá maith agat! slán is beannacht.

• PRO
    7 days ago

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC. Thank you for your kind words. Sincerely appreciate it.

• PRO
    7 days ago

I was very sincere, Mae Day. I only say what I mean and mean what I say.

BTW, what language is that? Gaelic? A Germanic language? and what does it mean?

• PRO
    7 days ago

Gaelic. It is saying goodbye to you and have a great day.

• PRO
    7 days ago

Thanks! You have a great day too!

• PRO
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

@Nature by Design. Bíodh lá maith agat! We really like the last two renditions especially the chaise recliner. We were hoping that these renditions helped.

• PRO
    Nature by Design
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Mae Day - thank you so much for all of the effort and design ideas! I appreciate it. I like all of the ideas and I am looking forward to seeing if some of them work for us. The green accents are lovely. And i do like the latest arrangement you sent with a chaise type double seat - The area rug is a must i see now. We have currently a VERY small 3' diameter one under the table - but it's a really cold floor and the rug can really bring it together while also helping to brighten the space. Have a great day and again - thank you for all the input - you're amazing with the renderings. :)

• PRO
    Nature by Design
    Original Author
    5 days ago

@Mae Day Yes, they're lovely. Thank you so much!

• PRO
    5 days ago

@Nature by Design. Thank you for getting back to me. I sincerely appreciate it. Best Wishes. MAE