Shop Products
pvnrhodeisland

Dead rose or still hope...

The pictures show my 8 year old rose that looks like something is killing it. I planted it in a new sunny spot last fall - it came thru winter fine but it has not set one new bud and it just plain looks like it is dying. I cut a couple ot stems. Can someone tell me if the stems show any life or are they gone. The leaves look healthy but no sign of growth.

Should the color be green in those cuts? My fave rose :-(

Thanks very much...

• last month

Go to a healthy rose and cut a stem and observe.

”If you give a man a fish …” I think that’s how it goes.

Pv Picotte thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • last month

Meanwhile I’m going to make an appointment to see my opthalmologist. Thank you for reminding me.

• last month

Get part one - not too sure about part 2. I will do as stated in part 1. Thanks.

• last month

Stem's innards look about the same on the healthy rose. I will cross my fingers. Thanks again. Hope your eye appt goes well -- :)

• last month

The rose stem looks exactly the way it should. And with healthy green foliage, why would you think it is dead??? Or dying?

Pv Picotte thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • last month

Exactly. Dead stems do not produce healthy green foliage. Or any foliage at all.

Pv Picotte thanked callirhoe123
  • last month

I guess because it has not grown since the transplant. It did not grow in the early spring when lots of other stuff was starting. It did not set a bud of flower. You guys are right though. It does have healthy green foliage. I am pleased with your input. Thanks very much.

• last month

It takes time For a rose to grow new roots after it's been transplanted. It underwent shock and then went dormant to a ° for the winter and now it is making roots and new leaves. It seems fine to me you should be happy.

Pv Picotte thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • last month

Be careful not to overwater it. It's sensitive now, in a state of shock....any further stress could send it over the cliff. Let it go at its own rate. What can you do, make it grow like you want it to? Wish I could do that, but we can't. Just be patient and wait. Continue with good care, and again, watch the watering, not too much...root rot is a real potential with stressed roses. Above all, you relax, eat some Fig Newtons or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and report back when your rose is growing. See 'ya then.

Mister Moses

Pv Picotte thanked Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z5
  • last month

I like all things roses AND Newtons not to mention the Reese's -- will follow through. :-) and obviously watch the watering. It has been very hot already here in little Rhodyso I did give it a good drink yesterday. Will cease going forward - thanks to all.

• last month

Since it has green leaves all is still good... :-) When a cane dies so does the leaves...

Hopefully it starts growing for you soon Pv Picotte .....

Pv Picotte thanked jim1961 Central Pennsylvania Zone 6b
  • last month

Me too Jim...I am going to try propagating the cuttings I took. Saw an interesting vid on how to .. so we shall try. Thanks for your thoughts...

• last month

Where are you located and how hot are you getting? PS You can add that information to your name via the edit function. I asked because your temperatures could influence the watering schedule. Also, how is your soil drainage ?

• last month

RI -- I thought that info had been added. I will do as you suggest however. It has been 86 for the last few. The drainage is quite good for that rose. Thanks.

• last month

You probably did add it, but that information no longer shows publicly unless you just put it as part of your name.

• last month

I followed Houzz instructions to change user name. Didn't seem to take or maybe the servers are slow. I will check back later to see if the change took.

• last month

Keep trying different strategies, PV Picotee, when I went from 'Moses', to 'Mister Moses,' it happened lickity split, first try. I must have done something right, but cannot remember what. It can be done if I did it!😁

Mister Moses

• last month

Yes indeed. Will follow through as suggested.

• last month

Good. Congratulations! Careful with the watering and fertilizing. Too much water, then root rot is possible. Too much fertilizer, then weakening the bush is also possible. Think of your rose as a sick patient in recovery. No steak dinners yet, and no trips to Niagara Falls! 😁

Moses