Software
Houzz Logo Print
1025kc

What to do with the door

2 years ago

should I stain the door or paint it? It's a solid wood door. I sanded the door and now I'm stuck on what to do with it. Suggestions?

Comments (13)

  • 2 years ago

    I would paint it black

  • 2 years ago

    I would stain it, and maybe a contributor can recommend weatherproofing.

  • 2 years ago

    If it’s Douglas fir, which by grain and color it probably is, it’s very tough to stain without blotchiness. Look into the process carefully. Painting probably is the best option. Exterior paint, of course.

  • 2 years ago

    I would paint. What about a deep eggplant, dark evergreen, or black? I like the deep eggplant.









  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    The door style and its hardware are unsuited to the rest of the house. For now? Paint it. Paint the posts at entry as well.

  • 2 years ago

    You need pops of color to give your house more curb appeal. Try painting the door a bright primary color, like green, blue or red. Change the door hardware to a more transitional style. Replace the two small metal planters with two large ceramic planters in bright primary colors.

  • 2 years ago

    What a great door! Can you stain it? A more even and slightly warmer color would be great.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    IMO it in no way suits the house so I think a color maybe could MAKE it sort of work the gable over the entry is all wrong too.

  • 2 years ago



  • 2 years ago

    Your 'Arts & Crafts' style house is well suited to adding this front door! I think any stain will be a problem to go on evenly but a vivid pop of color is just what the doctor ordered!!!! I did something similar, so speaking from experience, I'd like to see a high gloss [not lacquer] coral to hot pink front door. Also in the chartreuse family of color. Those colors would compliment your color choice of siding.... I would also think about 'beefing up' your porch columns...encase the present ones with 5/8" stain grade plywood or similar or composite, painted white. You want your entrance to be the center of attention, inviting and open...how about moving the house numbers ...either onto the column or onto the overhang? Then you could put a matching porch light on the other side...again, increasing the presence of your entrance. Noted is your matching hardware and mailbox in the Arts & Crafts style! Power wash the concrete so it looks lighter and move the two small plants, stage them staggered, going down the front steps [if you could find a 3rd one even better, usually do things in 3's] place inside the columns, on the left. A boot tray, by the front door..again on the left. Trying to even out the two sides where the opening is off-set just a bit. By coming out away from the wall with objects, etc..will increase entrance and help balance.

  • 2 years ago

    If you are thinking about painting and if you are OK with a matte finish, a quality solid stain might go on better and be less prone to peeling. I have been using Cabot solid acrylic siding stain on my thirsty cedar house and it has worked out great.

    If you use stain, you might do a test on scrap wood to try a solid stain, let it cure, then paint over it to see if you have the option to paint it later.

    Solid stains do need to be restained more often than paint but are less likely to peel. The color sinks into the wood better.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Sorry the only thing arts and craft about the house is the door . Are you going for an arts and craft style then go check out what is needed to go in thta direction with thta house besides the door.