Shop Products
shive_gw

Sunday's Best Blooms

The deer continue to eat buds here and there. I've lost two more entire clumps: Regina Sitko and Shadow Walker. I guess I should just be thankful I have as many flowers as I do. I so enjoyed the many blooms today.

Make It Snappy, which I bought two years ago, finally bloomed. It was worth the wait. I love the dark purple petal color!

Beebleberry Pie was also one I bought two years ago. Rabbits ate the buds last year. It's growing on very short scapes in an unweeded bed.

Absolute Treasure has tall scapes for the first time in many years.

Winter Treasure with Simply Charming in the background

Simply Charming closeup

The Ultimate Sacrifice - It's good to see this one again after it did not bloom last year.

Rosie With a Ring is another one I didn't see last year because its buds were devoured by deer.

Porterhouse

Maui Sunrise

Grape Twizzler and Heavenly Snow White

Neon Flamingo

This is a little over half the backyard.

A few more in the comments!

Debra

• last month

Everything You Desire was good to see again. It was one of the more than 60 I had that did not bloom last year.

Always Applique

Marlee Jane

Twirling Tower

English Lavender

Pink Extraordinaire - I sold most of this two years ago and only have two fans now. I think my seedlings from it are much prettier.

Debra

• last month

So many pretty ones! I like Grape Twzzler and Heaven Snow White together. I am glad you got to see Rosie with a Ring this year. Rosie is blooming today in our garden. I also like Ultimate Sacrifice.

I love your garden shot too.

Nancy

• last month

Lots of goodies here! The clump shots are great. Neon Flamingo and Absolute Treasure are so pretty. Rosie With a Ring looks intense. The garden shot is beautiful but I am sure daunting to you at the same time. Lovely post.

• last month

You still have English Lavender?! With all the critter problems you have it's amazing it is showing off so well this year. I've always liked seeing it. I think you said it wasn't very vigorous for you, and it is hard to find from nurseries, so I hope it merits a trip with you......Ultimate Sacrifice is gorgeous, and Absolute Treasure is a pretty color....Beautiful yard shot.............Maryl

• last month

Oh my goodness! So many here to love. I have always loved The Ultimate Sacrifice because it seems to make gorgeous kids. And I've always admired Simply Charming when you posted it. But my absolute favorite of these is Marlee Jane. Where did you find it? I would love to get my hands on it for that amazing color and form. Have you ever used it for hybridizing? I have several that I would love to pair it with!

• last month

Love the garden shot, so many pretty blooms to see. I love the Grape Twizxler duo. Neon Flamingo put on a nice show for you today.

Sherry

• last month

Celeste - I bought Marlee Jane from the hybridizer, Bill Waldrop. He still sells it. I have gotten pods on it, but the seeds have always molded and rotted. I want to take it with me, but if I find I don't have room for it, I'll let you know.

Maryl - With last year's below zero temps, English Lavender lost three of its four fans. I definitely won't be taking it because I know it could not withstand Indy winters. It definitely has not done well with all the grubs I have. I do have a seedling out of it crossed with a dormant seedling that I might take with me. Edited to say: I noticed this morning two of the other fans have emerged. They are small, but maybe they'll bloom later. Do you think your Texas friend might be interested in this one?

Debra

• last month

Maui Sunrise, Neon Flamingo, and Absolute Treasure are my faves. Maui has caught my eye since way back and Treasure and Neon have been for several years.

Brad

• last month

Thanks Brad! Those three are all good ones. Absolute Treasure is going to be needing a new home - hint, hint.

Debra

• last month

Nice group. I grew Make It Snappy and sometimes the color will change from that deep purple to a more reddish purple. In the grarden pic, what is the daylily with two blooms showing that is yellow with red (?) to the left of the red clump?

Julia

• last month

Some real pretties in this post. I like Make It Snappy . Rosie With a Ring is a beauty. Lovely clump of Neon Flamingo. Rosie With a Ring is a winner. Grape Twizzler and Heavenly Snow White is a really nice pairing. And Garden shots are the best always. Very nice post....and I like the Twirling Tower...Neat effect.

kay

• last month

Everything You Desire I see is a Petit. I once had a Salter daylily named Simply Smashing in the same color range. I was all excited with the first flowers its maiden year. The next spring, I couldn't even find it. Rosie with a Ring is looking good.

• last month

Mantis - I got Simply Smashing at the same time I bought Simply Charming. Simply Smashing died over the winter here too. Simply Charming has beautiful blooms, but it hasn't increased in several years. I moved it last fall to see if that would help. Rosie with A Ring hasn't increased since I got it, but it's in the front garden, which the Junebug grubs decimated two years ago. Everything You Desire has increased well over the years. I like it because it's such an unusual color.

Debra

• last month

Julia - The one to the left of the red is Busy Being Fabulous. We're in a cool snap right now, which always makes the purples look more purple. I imagine when things heat up Make It Snappy will take on more red tones.

Kay - Thanks for your comments!

• last month

Debra: Thanks for the ID.

Julia

• last month

My Texas friend would probably buy it. The only thing she's pretty firm on she says is rebloom because of her long growing season. I'll ask her about English Leather if you can spare it.........I know my Pink Aloha and yours both rebloomed so she's sold on that one....While I'm on it, if you also could spare your Nadine and that Pink Aloha seedling I like (but can't remember the name of), I'd love to send it on to her ( Maybe later on down the line for me if I ever get room). I can't spend her money without talking to her of course and certainly don't want to take anything away from anyone else you have in mind, so when you get a moment to list what you think you can offer her, I'll be glad to pass it on............Maryl

• last month

Maryl - I had five friends visit the garden today, and the Nadine seedling went home with one of them. English Lavender is a rebloomer. I am not taking it with me, so your friend can buy it if she wants it. Pink Aloha is also available. I'm taking the one Pink Aloha that you have liked in past years with me with the possibility of registering it in the future. Because of that, I'm not parting with any of it. The other two Pink Aloha X Bubblegum Queen are likely moving with me.

Debra

• last month

Debra: Thanks for the info. I guess you could ship both EL and PA now?....I'm glad that seedling I like but never can remember is going with you. It will test its hardiness and, with my pot system, mine need to be hardier then my zone would indicate.......Maryl

• last month

Maryl - I sent you a message about the daylilies.

Debra

Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars44 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company