Software
Houzz Logo Print
hez2u

I’m ready to tackle the grey brick wall. Looking for design help

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

This wall is the main feature of my 1960’s cottage in the woods. I’m more an English Country girl but here I am.

I’d like to build a bookcase that also encloses the firebox.

Wall dimensions 16’6” long
8’ high

Some inspo photos included.

Here it is:









Comments (17)

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Before going into this project, have you researched if this would be "to code" having a wood burning fireplace with a mantel surround?

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Would you have the pipe coming out of the box or would you run the box up to the ceiling? Is the stove your only source of heat?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    So lipstick on a pig is still a pig. This house will never be and English Cottage so embrace the style you have or get a new house. That FP is lovely you cannot do a wood bookcase anywhere near the fire box so check the code where you live and enjoy doing something different .

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    To each his own for sure, but if it were me, I would make the furnishings and decor on that wall much more intentional instead of building the bookcase/mantle you posted (i’d worry it would end up looking fussy)


    love this room BTW!

  • 2 years ago

    Lisedv, yes it will be to code surrounded by cement board and with certain clearances.

    Deegw, the pipe would stay where it is as it runs into the existing chimney but it would be behind the mantle and new wall in front.

  • 2 years ago

    This is your home and you need to love it, but the fireplace fits the architecture and is absolutely classic. I bought my home a few years back and walked away from many homes that had the original character and personality of the home destroyed by home improvement projects that didn't fit the architecture. Your improvement would make me walk away from the purchase if I were a buyer.



  • 2 years ago

    What did people in the 60’s do with their books? There really isn’t another wall here where mine can live

  • 2 years ago

    You can put a long, low bookcase under the TV. And it looks like you can also fit a low bookcase under the window, behind the chairs.

    Is there another place to store the bulk of the wood, kindlng and paper?


  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I grew up in a house with a room that had floor to ceiling bookshelves on two walls and a fireplace on the third. The sofa and end tables sat against one of the full wall bookcases. So the books immediately behind the sofa back were ones that didn't really need to be accessed. If these are regular hardbacks, the shelves could be 9-10" deep (measure your books) and the sofa could sit slightly in front of it, just not right against it. And you only lose a little over a foot. And you could build shelves under the picture window.

    I am having the same problem in my current house with regards to books and artwork because I have two rooms with a full glass wall. And I have a lot of oversized artbooks. We may end up stacking them, even on the floor.

  • 2 years ago

    If you add some gray decor items around the room - patterned sofa pillows, pottery, etc, it will help make the stone look like part of the decor and not the odd man out.

  • 2 years ago

    Probably not a helpful comment here, but I love your house and that stone wall! I think a wall of bookcases on the opposite wall underneath your clerestory windows (which I’m also a big fan of) would look great and fit with your current vibe. You could still place furniture in front of the bookcases and it would be a lot less intrusive/ expensive renovation for you. I would otherwise like your idea if it wasn’t covering up such a great feature!

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I would mortar over the stone and leave the rough texture. IMO this is a very 'English Cottage' solution that still works with the MCM home you have purchased.


    It's not the wall for bookcases.



  • 2 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback, gives me something different to consider. Changing houses is not an option; I’ve already built the barn of my dreams, horses are happy and I love the land. I could build another house but that seemed wasteful when this is structurally very sound and really enough room for my partner and I.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    If your aim is primarily for book storage, how about a bookcase to the left of the fireplace, which could also help create better balance on that wall. It can be tall or lower with your art above. On that topic, suggest less pieces, with only bookcase and wood bin.


  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Here's an idea showing a low bookcase in your room. You seem to have manyh small items around, I would remove some and clear the floor area. Here's the idea...


    As for the opposite wall, I find your art is spread too far apart. If you could find perhaps and extra framed piece and regroup as illustrated. Also I would refresh your accent pillows with ones that stand out in lighter colours against the furniture, and perhaps refresh as well a few lamps.






  • 2 years ago

    Thank you so much Lisedv. I really appreciate the time you took to create those visuals. It sure helps having someone look with fresh eyes

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio