Software
Houzz Logo Print
smkpiper

Ranch Exterior Help

last year

We are considering purchasing this 1 story 1970’s ranch home. First pic with red door. The property has potential but I can’t visualize the end result. I like the southern Living , coastal vibe and want a front porch and dormers. Any advice? We are considering adding a half story but also considering keeping the roofline and rectangle and converting the garage to
interior space. Thank you for your help.

Comments (9)

  • last year
    last modified: last year

    Unless it is a steel keep looking as adding what your speaking of will be 100K at a minimum starting point and go up from there. And still not truly get what you want.

  • PRO
    last year

    Keep looking you either love this as it is or spend a lot much more than 100K on making it something it is not . I think I would just remove that ridiculous huge chimnet and embrace the MCM vibe but realy KEEP LOOKING

  • last year

    We did this 22 years ago. It was a 1981 ranch. Added a second floor with 2 bedrooms and a bath, dormers, and porch.

  • PRO
    last year

    The house is beautiful as is. I'd focus on the landscaping vs. the house itself.

  • last year

    I strongly suspect the shape of your roof will prevent you from adding a porch or dormers without completely changing the architecture of your roof. If you look at your first inspo pic, the original house had a steeper roof than yours and the upgrade had the entire roof of the gable redone to make it higher. If it was actually done and not just a photoshop, it cost bucketloads of money. The next inspo pic had an existing porch. All that was done was paint and photoshop out the shade and trees. In the last, frankly the before was better looking than the after.


    I think your brick is lovely. The style of your house is long and low and changing that is almost certainly not going to be worth the money. You could do a fair amount with landscaping and pick a different color than the red trim and door.

  • last year

    Its a nice house the way it is. It is not MCM, it is a ranch, and you would have to spend many thousands to do what you are wanting. I would keep looking until you find just what you want, or a house that is more adaptable to what y ou are looking for. I know sometimes, we just get tired of looking and looking and decide maybe we should settle, but, unless its urgent to settle immediately, dont settle, just keep looking.

  • last year

    Beautiful house. I wouldnt change anything - just add landscaping. If I needed more space, then I’d add on to the back. Maybe this one isnt the right one?

  • PRO
    last year

    There are many dollars between what is pictured and the wants that are described.

  • last year

    I looked it up and it says ” great lot to build your dream home on, house next door sold for 500k and was torn down ”. So close to DFW I am assuming with the size lot and neighborhood its very desirable. They ruined the inside when they took out all the walls and tried to modernize. I’d pass unless you can afford to tear down.