Software
Houzz Logo Print
emmee_larose

How to design around ugly lazyboy

13 years ago
Ok, so...My husband insists on having an easy chair in the family room. I hate the look of them and need some advice on how to deal with it, hahaha. As easy chairs go its actually not the worst, but still need help making it less of a sore thumb.

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    OMG, I thought that chair burned up in our house a year ago! You know, they sell nicer looking recliners that don't ruin your decor, or, your world. (My husband has to have them too,hahaha).
  • 13 years ago
    How about posting other photos of the room. Might be able to move things around so that it isn't the center of attention.

    I would put a pillow on it that says, "Husband sits here!".
  • 13 years ago
    Tell him it would look GREAT in the garage!:)
  • 13 years ago
    As reddhedd1 said, I second the idea of a really, really interesting table and lamp bedside to draw your eye to the pretty, instead of that chair! :)
  • 13 years ago
    E - don't obsess about this - it is chocolate / the darkest neutral that works well with your green and blue. Repeat the chocolate brown in some matting on art on the wall, consider rug with a touch of chocolate here and there. Look for a terrific storage piece / shelf / secretary for the components and chalk paint it in a dark blue-green teal tone. Concentrate on the other details - with the green sofa, and blue walls, consider trim or dye for the ivory curtains. The fabric looks luxe texturally, perhaps in chocolate against the blue wall you would like the contrast better.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Did Pam say garage or garbage? :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Put a nice chunky woven throw over the back of it, he will only throw a pillow onto the floor, my hubby does. The throw works well to add colour and texture interest as well as to protect the leather from oil stains where he rests his head. They do tend to discolor there after a while. That's the trouble with recliners. Our other chairs aren't designed to rest your head against.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Unfortunately, My husband has to have one as well and it is always a subject for discussion. In any case, I suggest a throw as ReMax suggested , textured and picks up a color in your sofa or wall, and a floor light near the chair > If possible place it somewhere where in a corner, so It Doesn't Shout Out at YOU>>>.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    pre made slip covers are all ways a good way to go, use to be expensive to have them custom made, but now you can order them online already made, that will make it easier to decorate around,if you pick the right cover ,you might not have to do anything else.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    E, I work with LazBoy's all the time. I admit they have some very bubba looking chairs, but I don't recognize this one. As mentioned earlier, they make some beautiful recliners that look great, so does Flexsteel. Regularly I must design a room around a leather recliner and big screen TV. My philosophy: a man can be so easy to please, let him have a good chair and a remote. I love design but remember why you are trying to make a beautiful home...for those you love:)
    Emmee LaRose thanked Comforts of Home
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What is nice about it is though, its a nice brown leather, and with a little work it will look great in your space. Do you have pictures of the rest of your space? The key is to accessorize that area. A nice side table, lamp and a throw draped over it. Or a nice floor lamp and a decorative piece of furniture near it.
  • 13 years ago
    You could bye a chair cover like a brown one that would go with the chair
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    No offense, that slip cover looks really bad and cheap. E, please do not consider this:(
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Throw it, and Him away!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'm going to look for a picture:

    Be sure your sofa has the scale to match the lazyboy.
    Family Room · More Info
  • 11 years ago

    After 17 years of marriage, I finally broke down and let him get his bur (big ugly recliner.) It is an eyesore, but it makes him happy. One thing about it, though, he's so hard on it, I think he's going to break it soon, the way he slams it back and forth, and up and down, and he's already ripped the leather on it a little. It's a Lazy Boy, but he's just a very rough guy like that, and I'm not discouraging it! when he destroys such an expensive piece of furniture, I still have the nice looking leather chair and ottoman in another room that he used to sit in before!


  • 11 years ago

    I know this is an old thread but I came here because I was googling "help with ugly Lazy-Boy"! We just bought a house this year and we are slowly decorating it. My hubby has been hinting at buying one and I keep on ignoring him. His birthday is coming up and guess what he said he wanted?! Grrrr... I can't escape!! What is it about these ugly chairs that men love?! I feel it has a lot to do with the name "Lazy Boy".. Why men want to identify with the phrase is beyond me! Lol!

  • 10 years ago

    Well, here we are 2 years later, and he still has that ugly chair. We have downsized to a smaller house with a smaller living room, and the recliner is a BIGGER eyesore! The only solution I can offer to the problem is, that when we entertain, we move it into the bedroom so it's out of sight for company.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Get a modern recliner

    Jessye Recliner Chair by LAFER · More Info

    Kiri Recliner Chair by LAFER · More Info

    Kiri Recliner Chair by LAFER · More Info

    Ella Recliner Chair by LAFER · More Info